The Great Musician Frank Zappa and His Philosophy.

Is there anything good inside of you, Andy?

You made several mistakes.

point 1. Mostly it is true that stuff accessible to all, is usually pretty bad, not always, but then I did not say it was.
point 2 I never said simple was bad; I said I prefer something challenging, as Simple gets boring quickly.
point 3 Actually Strauss is widely regarded as the birth of POP.
Point 4 - this is what you are doing, not me.

And BTW. What kind of a moron thinks that prog rock musicians are not also composers. Dim fuck

That aphex twin is trash… it’s not even music. Somebody mixed a bunch of tracks on some computer software and then called it a song. This generally characterizes what happened to music in the early eighties. The advent of these new recording technologies. Now anybody can be a ‘musician’. Then you’ve got the explosion in the music industry… easily accessible means to produce and distribute music in the free market. Anybody can step into a producer’s office with a demo tape and cut a record deal. Finally, the consumer public, being musically illiterate, will by anything that is marketed. Now every fifteen minutes some new group appears selling the same crap… only it’s a little different this time. There’s a rapper involved, so it’s not just house music rave techno whatever whatever, it’s house music rave techno hip-hop. Thirty minutes later something else comes on the radio and is popular for a week. This time there’s some distorted guitar. So we have house music rave techno hip-hop metal.

Your animosity toward this kind of modern music is warranted, Magnus, but you have no comprehension of jazz (contemporary or fusion) or progressive rock. It is precisely the unpredictability of these genres that is one of the most important elements. Breaking from conventional forms and patterns in song writing. Structuring songs differently, composing songs with many separate parts instead or using the mundane melody/chorus format used all the time in mainstream, commercial music.

By the way, Hammer played with Mahavishnu Orchestra on several albums. Don’t know if you knew that, but I found it ironic nonetheless.

Watch Billy on the skins. This dude is a better drummer with one hand than any drummer you’ll ever find on the radio or in an orchestra pit.

Arminius:

Freak Out and Absolutely Free were parodies of the sixties psychedelic hippy rock scene, but also a shot at the record industries and the values that were prevalent over the music of that period. Frank was against censorship of any kind… though not for the reasons we might suppose. His attitude during the early Mother’s Of Invention period was two sided; he didn’t want to enter the rock scene (because it was silly and below him), but he had to, to make some money. Nobody was paying composers back then. Pop music and rock was where it was at. So what does he do? He enters the mainstream scene with a card up his sleeve. He will write music of the appropriate genre better than the rest, but at the same time make a mockery of it. A statement is made to the music consumers, music genre, music industry and the dominant values of the time with this one gesture: this is what you are, hippies… this is how simple your music is… this is how cheap your industry is… and this is how lame your values are. He didn’t want to censor these trends… he wanted to indulge them, set them loose, let them play out naturally. He used all this as material to work with in order to show people what they were. He was the master parodist.

This one was a shot at the bands of that era. You see the parody of The Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper album cover there. It was also a kind of tongue and cheek admittance to his being in the rock music industry for all the wrong reasons. Because this industry was a joke, he felt, he was only in it for the money.

You Are What You Is can be understood independently, but also understood within the context of Thing Fish, the concept rock-opera album of which it was a part. Independently is can be seen as a social critique of consumerism and consumer identities. As part of Thing Fish it is specifically for the purposes of criticizing American negro culture. Note the incorrect grammar; you are what you is.

But then we’d piss the robot off, and Tink would walk amok.

Yes. Great. Much of the modern philosophy is social criticism, and based on that fact one can say Frank Zappa was at least a little bit a modern philosopher. I know Zappa’s biography and his attitude towards social conventions; so I can say that your interpretations of the said music albums (see above) and Zappa’s person are right.

Musically I do not like the time since about 1980 very much; so it is not really a surprise that I know Zappa’s early music better than his later music. However. I want to show you a video from the 1980s with Frank Zappa. The official title of that video is “Frank Zappa on Crossfire” (1986).

“We are talking about words. … The whole thing is words. …” (Frank Zappa, 1986):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ISil7IHzxc[/youtube]-
[list][list]“Frank Zappa on Crossfire”, 1986.[/list:u][/list:u]
:laughing:

My short comment: Words on crossfire.

What do you think about that video?

“The world’s most plentiful ingredient is stupidity.” - Frank Zappa.

Frank felt it was his duty to defend the freedom of speech in music (however much he thought it was mindless garbage), but he also enjoyed disagreeing with hard core conservatives just to be doing it. He couldn’t stand the church or evangelism, but especially not conservative’s attempts to censor music because of their religious agendas.

The fact that he didn’t want to be there in that video is written all over him. He didn’t like media attention at all, really.

You’ve seen the hearings with Tipper Gore, yes? Frank was one of the few musicians present at those hearings, in an attempt to stop the parental advisory which we now see on album covers. To show his gratitude he wrote this song for Tipper.

edit: two part objection there. He objects to government intervention into consumer freedoms, so therefore liberally minded people who push for music censorship. But he’s also objecting to the conservative religious agendas behind the censorship attempts.

With the 80’s came the advent of new electronic devices for making music. This attracted people into the music industry who aren’t musicians at all, so the quality and integrity of music from that point on gradually digressed. It became easier to design a piece of music… and as long as the format was simple and familiar, people loved it. Moreover, capitalism hit a boom during that period, so the mass production of music and distribution was greatly enhanced. Now you had a new group appearing every day with some mediocre crap on a cassette tape. They get signed by some producer and a million albums get sold to the musically illiterate consumer public.

I have seen it, if you mean the following video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxB-ZePpS7E[/youtube]

Yeah that’s it. His writing is very idiosyncratic with an admixture of serious and comedic content. Compare the testimony in that video to the liner notes of the album You Are What You Is.

“My idea of a good time is – the biggest problem facing the world today is mental health. If everybody had good mental health then all the other problems would be solved because in order to take care of mechanical and um… practical problems you have to have good mental health in order to attack those problems. If people have motives that are not worth while then those bad motives are always going to creep into their activities then – you see that everyday from the political people work, the people who are in just the position to have their minds functioning right then everything else would fall into line. That’s what I’m after – that’s my dream. Now that’s a dream – that’s probably not going to happen but that’s my dream.” - Frank Zappa.

Yeah but that’s a vague statement, which is why Frank is no philosopher. I mean ordinary people might read that and say ‘wow, that was intelligent’, but we critical thinkers know better. What is ‘mental health’? There are volumes of work on that subject, and a single statement like Frank’s doesn’t explain anything.

Now of course Frank is smarter than any popular musician I’ve ever known, but a smart musician isn’t a smart philosopher. He had the intellect to develop philosophical thinking, sure, but he didn’t study it so it never happened… his life work was music. Frank handles the music, that’s his department; he’s an entertainer and propagandist. I handle the philosophy. We make a team, Franky and I.

In philosophy as a thinking system there are two general ways of thinking: (1) a restricted way of thinking, (2) an elaborated way of thinking. Both are philosophy - the former in a primitive way and the latter in a progressed way. If someone uses the former one, then this does not necessarily mean that this someone is stupid but probably not much interested in philosophy. So Frank Zappa, who was intelligent, used his philosophical statements not in the sense of the elaborated way of thinking. When a man like Zappa says that “the biggest problem facing the world today is mental health”, then this statement represents his way of thinking, because he uses the restricted way of thinking. That is typical for one who is more interested in science than in philosophy, although both have much to do with each other. That one does not want to be a great philosopher but probably knows that it is almost impossible to not think and that thinking becomes philosophy, if it is systematically exercised.

Oddly enough, his statement probably contributed to the subjugation of man, because they treat any hint of nature oruntamedness as a crime or mental illness these days.

knowthyself.forumotion.net/t817p520-music#50764

Clicked on your sig, found this post of yours. You’re talking behind my back, Zoot, and that’s not very fun. You realized that I don’t/can’t visit KT, so you took a chance to call me pretentious fish n’ chips eating English prat, none of which is true. I am neither pretentious, nor do I eat fish n’ chips, nor am I English. I am 100% Slav, only lived in England, I speak the truth most of the time and fish n’ chips I only ate once or twice in my life.

The song does not suck, that’s not what I really think, I like it, in fact, I like it better than what perpetual posted, but compared to classical and other fantasy genres (the ones in my head) it does suck.

Moreover, this isn’t the best metal song out there and it is far from being the end of metal evolution. There is no symphony in it, so it can’t be the end of metal evolution.

So what is better than AoL? Jakub Zytecki, of course.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlTDJ1CwyP8[/youtube]

Quick highlights:
Psychedelic madness
Tribal metal dance gathering
Love Song
Opening Track

I absolutely love complex rhythms and cannot understand people who are not attracted to them just as I can’t understand people who think that prog rock or prog metal or whatever prog is better than classical.

You don’t appear to be sensitive to timbre, among many other things. To you, it doesn’t seem like it matters what kind of instruments one is using.

Objection your honor. My client thought Magnus Anderson was an active member at KT and posted that thinking he would see it there. There is no intentional libel or punitive damage here, your honor. I request that you strike this statement from the prosecutors record please.

Zoot, do you realize what you’re asking this co…

Uh, If I may your honor…

Irrelevencio ad Slanderous Andersonius.

[ courtroom gasps ]

Section 4 paragraph subsection a.7 in the Internet Rules of Debate and Etiquette statutes state that if the slanderer believes the slandered is aware of the slander, it cannot be defined as a.6 subsection conspiracy to slander by way of pretentious fish, chip, pub or prat.

My client believed Magnus was there at the forum where he posted that. My client will not accept a plea to an a.6 conspiracy to slander charge.

Nothing more your honor.

This is what I’m saying, Zoot, I give you a truly badass piece of music, and you say nothing, and I give you some autistic mediocrity, and you go “OH MY GOD, THIS IS GREAT, MAX, THIS IS THE END OF THE METAL EVOLUTION!”

Hilarious!

What a magnitude of badassitude this is, just listen to it:
youtube.com/watch?v=LlTDJ1CwyP8#t=17m35s

Listen to it till the end, the badassitude starts at the very end, everything before it is just a warmup.

We can’t even agree on what’s the best prog metal out there.

And you know why is that? That’s because you’re an Arab and I’m a Slav.

All the great people were Slavs.

Nietzsche was a Slav.
Tesla was a Slav.
Unabomber is a Slav.
I am a Slav.
Historyboy is a Slav.
Jakub Zytecki is a Slav.
All the modern so-called Greeks are to a great extent Slavs (due to the Slavicization of Greece that occured long before they were born.)
Fixed is a Slav too, but he’s not a great person because he’s also a Jew.

Slav is the new Roman, Zoot.

Be a Slav, Zoot, that’s what’s cool these days.

Don’t be an Arab, what is an Arab, an Arab is just a man with a towel on his head in the middle of a hot summer day.

Who wants to be an Arab, noone wants to be an Arab, the greatest Arab ever and he’s not even a real person, he’s Disney’s Jafar, just a cartoon character.

Be a Slav, Zoot.

Repeat my mesmerizing words.

Be a Slav, Zoot. Be a Slav, Zoot. Be a Slav, Zoot.

Slavs are currently dominating most of the world sports. Who won FIFA World Cup U20? Who played Brazil in the finals? Who? Who, Zoot? Slavs, of course. Who played United Slaves of Africa in the FIBA World Cup 2014? Who, Zoot? Slavs, of course. Who has the highest number of world titles in basketball? Who, Zoot? Slavs, of course. It’s Yugoslavs right there with the United Slaves of Africa. Who’s dominating waterpolo? Who, Zoot? Even tennis, who’s dominating tennis, Zoot? Is it Rafael Nadal perhaps? Or an Arab? Who’s making fun of Spaniards these days on the ongoing Eurobasket?

Zoot, why do Americans imagine Slavs as their nemesis?

It’s a good day to be a Slav.

Be a Slav, Zoot.

Slav is a meaningless word.

Nietzsche was not a Slav.

And this thread should not be derailed. This thread is about the Great Slav Musician Frank Zappa and his philosophy. So, please, stick to the topic.

I am a synthesis of the noble races, Mr. Anderson. I am both an original Aryan and a fake-ass 1930’s propagandic caucasian Aryan. I’m the whole package dude. My father’s side traces back to scottish and irish origins… no doubt part of the scandanavian stock migrating south into scotland and denmark during the dark ages. These folks were big barbarian bastards and now that you ask, my father’s father was just such a barbarian. Pop’s side was always violent. Like alcoholic Valhalla violent. Like I come from the land of the ice and snow from the midnight sun where the hot springs flow violent. The kind of violence that only large angry white people can produce.

My mother’s side is Syrian and Lebanese… desert living snake charming belly dancing sand people with blue eyes and olive skin. Grandmother’s maiden name was ‘Saba’, so this most certainly indicates there was a Persian warrior tribe called the Sabians sometime in history of which she was a part, and which probably had something to do with the formation of the Hashishin Order. And who were they? The Arabic Ubermenschen.

Ergo, my uberwenchen grandmother carries in her heritage the secret order of hashishin, while my father carries in him the hyperborean soul of the viking conqueror and adventurer.

I am the Kwisatz Haderach!