Math Fun

Well done, James. =D>

What about the solution process?

That is false. Please read the text one more time.

The reputable house

Duh myself :slight_smile:
[tab]2P
1B

2P
2G
1B

2P
2G
3B[/tab]

Well done, Phoneutria. =D>

What about the solution process?

The dice game

[tab]a
b = a+5
c = b -6
d =c + 11
e = d - 8

c= (a+5) - 6
d = [(a+5) - 6] + 11
e = {[(a+5) - 6] + 11} - 8
max total=12

Round d can only be 11+1.

a=2
b= 7
c=1
d=12
e=4[/tab]

I just shuffled things around a little bit. I knew I couldnā€™t have been too far off because of the limit on the number of sisters.

ESP. :smiley:

Damn ā€¦ looking at my scratch work, it looks like I rewrote the whole puzzle ā€¦ ](*,) [tab]2 *5 =10
3 *5 =15
3 *3 =9
4 *5 =20
2 *6 =12[/tab]

That is false.

Please read the text one more time. :slight_smile:

Well done, James. =D>

What about the solution process? :slight_smile:

Hey, my job is to answer questions. Your job is to figure out how I got the answers. :sunglasses:

[size=85]ā€¦ just be sure to always disagree at least once so that I have incentive to go check my work ā€¦ 8-[
[/size]

lolā€¦ the product, not the sum!
Facepalmā€¦

Let me guess twice:

1. By reading, understanding, thinking, and calculating. :slight_smile:
  2. By finding the answers in the internet. :imp:

If I could look up the answer, I could look up the process for obtaining it.
I donā€™t go to that trouble for mere games.

1. Iā€™ve presented a logical syllogism, using mathematical induction, which is a method of deductive mathematical logic.
  2. As weā€™ve already discussed, once you have a syllogism, you donā€™t need to show that there are no other syllogisms (see e.g. the Pythagorean Theorem)
  3. Even if it were the case that I needed to show there were no other solutions, for the MI problem Iā€™ve provided a syllogism that shows that N islanders cannot learn their eye color before day N, so if there were another syllogism, it would produce the same result.

It is true for certain premises. If we assume X and ~X, we can conclude Y and ~Y. Iā€™m saying that ā€œthis problem is not impossibleā€ is an exotic premise that could similarly produce contradictory conclusions. I donā€™t think it does, but much of your argument seems to depend on it.

Right, but youā€™ll notice that I only said that the syllogism is ā€œclearly validā€. The point being that a valid syllogism can be constructed using ā€œthis problem is not impossibleā€ as a premise, and challenging you to show that the syllogism shouldnā€™t be treated like any other.

Do you agree that ā€œcolors donā€™t bear any logical relation to each otherā€ is a true premise? Or do you have a similarly true premise that leads to a contradictory conclusion?

Only AFTER you skipped over substantiating your most essential premise (your presumption of colors) as well as your presumption that a faster method of color discovery could not be used.

Carl, that is stupid. Why do you keep saying that? Do you not read criticisms of your propositions? That is just a dumb thing to say and I have explained why. Once AGAIN:
[size=150]We are NOT talking about many proofs for the same outcome.[/size]

We are talking about the need to prove that there cannot be any other possible [size=150]outcome[/size], and thus no other possible algorithm/solution.

No, you have NOT. I showed you that everyone could easily leave after the second bell. You are simply not listening.

No, it isnā€™t.

It would be true if you made sense of it first, but as stated and knowing the context, I have to deny it. Colors have a natural relative ORDER (most often expressed as a frequency). An order isnā€™t technically ā€œa logical relationā€, but it is an association that can be used in a logic argument: ā€œGreen is between yellow and blue. Purple is between red and blue. Orange is between red and yellow.ā€
One of the premises is that ā€œit is solvableā€, soā€¦

And also the presented colors CAN have a displayed order:

Procrastinatingā€¦

dice game
[tab]A=10 (2 and 5)
B=15 (3 and 5)
C=9 (3 and 3)
D=20 (4 and 5)
E=12 (2 and 6)

Solution process: I put it on a spreadsheet :stuck_out_tongue:

[/tab]

Well done, Phoneutria. =D>

Did you post your method for that, and I missed it, Arminius? Iā€™d like to see it, because I pretty much brute forced it.

[tab]In your excel sheet you can place true/false statements for the critical concerns along with the calculated numbers. Then merely count from 1 to 36 and one cell will tell you when you have the right number (ā€œ10ā€) by saying ā€œTRUEā€. All of the other numbers will be already calculated.

What they are calling ā€œquantum computingā€ works that way except they assign a different CPU to each number between 1 and 36 so that all possibilities are computed in parallel. The first CPU that registers a ā€œTRUEā€ stops the process. In that way, the time it takes to calculate the answer is always as if you already knew the ā€œ10ā€ to try first.

If this were 20 years ago, I would spend some time trying to come up with a way to combine logic and math so as to directly cause the ā€œ10ā€ answer to pop out from a single, albeit very long, equation. But these days, my brain is too tired.[/tab]

I guess you mean the solution process.

[tab]1st round = x.
2nd round = x + 5.
3rd round = x + 5 - 6 = x - 1.
4th round = x - 1 + 11 = x + 10.
5th round = x + 10 - 8 = x + 2.

All possible throw combinations:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 15, 16, 18, 20, 24, 25, 30, 36.

A possible combination in each round is only possible with x = 10:

1st round = 10.
2nd round = 15.
3rd round = 9.
4th round = 20.
5th rounde = 12.[/tab]
So as I already said: Well done.

Armie,

[tab]So your solution, as well as mine and James involve iterating from all possible values until one matches. Thatā€™s what I wanted to know, if that is the way to go about it, or if there is a way to derive a formula that would arrive at 10 without trying all the possible results.
Thanks.[/tab]