Dan should not continue as MODERATOR

I find it rather revealing Dan how you did not insert the below above your two sentences - that WAS the first sentence.

The problem is that blacks are chimpy and that they don’t believe it, when they should believe it, since we are supposedto be truthy moreso than chimpy.

I personally found nothing funny about it. And what you are doing here is making excuses for yourself and sweeping the racist remark under the carpet.
For anyone who cannot see this as demeaning, degrading, lacking in discernment, compassion, empathy, well, all I can say is that you Dan are a neanderthal…whether you meant it to be as such - as I said before, if not, that just makes it ignorant.

What would you have said to a young teenage black girl who read this, or heard you speak those words, one who already had issues with her identify, who was ridiculed and made the butt of stupid SUPPOSEDLY FUNNY racial jokes and slurs all of her life?

You don’t have to answer that because the truth is staring you in the face but it might hurt a bit (or maybe not) for you to listen.

Monsieur Neanderthal I presume?

Personally, James, I could care less if Dan comes or goes.

Perhaps you might compare what Dan said to these so-called funny jokes that to many mean nothing and as Dan said “were supposed to be funny and not truth”.

onelinefun.com/racist/

They’re called racist for a reason.
But feel free to kowtow to whomsoever you choose, James.

:-k If he said similar things about Christians or Muslims, nobody would complain. :-"

Oh, I think you are wrong there. Would it be racist, demeaning, derogatory? You left out a few other examples.

Take a group and portray it with negative characteristics:
Dan compares blacks to dogs and it gets a facepalm.

If someone on ILP compared Muslims to dogs, would it get the same reaction?

On ILP, religious people are routinely called mentally ill, delusional, stupid, unable to think rationally, …

Just saying.

If Dan had compared a particular dog to a particular black based on his/her particular behavior, I probably would not have commented at all.
If someone compares a particular Muslim to a particular dog, based on his/her behavior, I probably would not comment at all. I daresay that there are probably many loving Muslims, compared to how some other religious people are.
Look to the individual, not the race.

Dan looked to the race and made demeaning, callous remarks. Feel free though to call it what you will.

As for the religious thing, I tend to agree with you. It isn’t necessary BUT in this case I think it sometimes kind of depends, don’t you? This is a philosophy forum and if someone’s beliefs are irrational, and I think we can probably see "irrational, well, perhaps there are better more civil words to use then stupid or delusiuon - but all the same, that someone could be called out. As I said, after all, this is a philosophy forum.

I don’t believe in god or god’s qulaities as many in here do but all the same, those beliefs are not altogether irrational. For instance god as a beautiul creative being - well there is a beautiful universe so I can see the reason there but thinking in terms of god being love, well, in light of what goes on in the world, I just don’t know albeit at the same time since we do see people who are loving, maybe it’s not totally irrational for some to “believe” that god might be loving. It’'s just belief not necessarily based in fact. It can’t ever be based in fact.

Right. Making statements about an individual is either right or wrong based on the evidence that you use to support such statements. Bias, prejudice, racism involves assigning characteristics to an individual which may correctly or incorrectly attributed to the group that he belongs to. The individual may or may not have those characteristics. The biased/prejudiced person does not care about the actual characteristics of the individual that he is describing.

Dan has no idea that what he is saying is demeaning or callous.
So instead of calling him a Neanderthal, you need to slowly explain to him that humans do not like to be compared to dogs. (even if dogs are wonderful creatures).

:laughing:
But phyllo, I didn’t call the whole human species Neanderthals and not even the whole male species just one particular person - well two, I also called james a neanderthal.
Look to the individual and not the race. It is a part of evolved human consciousness.
I myself might not compare him to a dog I love dogs aside from that - well, I don’t want to take this any further than I have. :evilfun:
And I myself might not care one way or the other about being compared to a dog - i am after all, an individual but I might prefer to be called a wolf.
But I think you get my drift.
Call me a particular dog which maybe most people might look down on I’m just saying and that’s okay as long as the shoe fits. But don’t call all women dogs because of something which I’ve done - which is also the mentality of many men around here - ah, she’s a woman insofar as the way in which women behave.

Neanderthals had larger brains than Sapiens.

I know you didn’t ask me, but I’d say “Toughen up, buttercup”.

Should I stop being a moderator now?

Dan~ has been saying shit that doesn’t make a lick of sense for years. So now that he said something that doesn’t make a lick of sense about race suddenly it’s an issue? I think you all need to calm the fuck down and have a little perspective.

Amen, brother.

But Uccisore, I am toughening up. Can’t you see that? I am totally exhausting toughening-up lessons to myself.
But anyway, what does the racist remark which he made have to do with me toughening up? His remark wasn’t directed towards me.
I’m no buttercup. Are those the flowers that one would put under their neck and it reflects yellow? I am not that fragile, trust me.

I didn’t know that you were a moderator, Uccisore.

Only kidding. I know you are. :laughing:

I say stuff that sometimes doesn’t make sense - we all do - except maybe for you. :evilfun: But do you see a difference between that and making a racist remark, a callous racial slur?
But that’s just it - you know what my perspective is.
So, are you saying that we just sit back and ignore certain things entirely? That we are not to use our voices for a reason like this? That we are simply to ignore it? That would make like ostriches with our heads in the sand.

Um, you were asking what we’d say to some hypothetical black woman who was exposed to, and presumably offended by, Dan’s remarks. Go back and read what I wrote, and what you wrote that I was responding to.

I see a lot of people who, if they are honest, basically never know what the fuck Dan is talking about pretending to understand what he means just so they can be offended by it.

if the choice is between whining about every little percieved injustice and insentive remark, or sticking our heads in the sand and letting things go unchallenged, which of the two do YOU think we have a bit too much of in this present society? Are you experiencing a shortage of people complaining about insensitive remarks on the internet these days?

I can respond instead of Arc, let me just get my Arc on… khm, here we go:

Well Uccisore, I feel that’s a very racist thing to say. I don’t think we can ever be sensitive enough, lol. It is very important not to hurt other people’s emotions. And I do not think people should challenge each other, it’s almost like saying they should commit violence on each other, and we don’t want that, do we? Lol, I’m sure you would agree. I feel like the entirety of humanity should gather and grab their hands together, and sing and dance! Feel one with the trees and the birds, and smell a few colorful flowers, lol.

We need to be the voice of reason, and soon as somebody says something that might offend somebody else, we need to put a stop to it! Lol, well, that’s just my perspective anyways.

Wait, what is your name?

Just kidding, I know your name is Uccisore, I am so funny and witty, hahaha !!

Also i been a member for so many years that in that time line, i feel i have changed most of my beliefs and mannerisms.

I will tell you strait up that i am not truly a racist, and i do not practice racial hate.

Then a certain someone can say : “No, you are racist.”

It’s like they know better than me what my own beliefs are.

That’s annoying.

Have you ever played Rise of Nations?
Or Ages of Empires?

That is what race was.

It can be fun to be different.

On the internet, your beliefs are whatever the most easily-offended snowflake can interpret them to be.

Are you pretending not to know my name because it’s an Italian word, and Italians all look the same to you? Would you understand my name better if we were in person and you could see me moving my hands when I speak, like a dirty Italian? Is that what you think, that just because my name is Italian you don’t have to take the time to learn it? WE BUILT THE RAILROADS YOU ASSHOLE!!

Oh, he was certainly right there. I have watched that for years.

I didn’t say hypothetical black WOMAN what I said was

Arcturus Descending wrote:
What would you have said to a young teenage black girl who read this, or heard you speak those words, one who already had issues with her identify, who was ridiculed and made the butt of stupid SUPPOSEDLY FUNNY racial jokes and slurs all of her life?

I said teenage girl for a reason, Uccisore. Unfortunately a black woman would/might already be used to the idiocy and racial slurs…not accepting them but perhaps used to them. But of course, so would a black teenager but more vulnerable unfortunately.

You men are not even worth the time and energy in here that I put into it to show something. All this testosterone up against a little buttercup like myself. Actually Uccisore, I like the snowflake term better…unlike you guys who are simply sardines thrown together in a sardine can.
Grow up all of you, except for maybe phyllo… who was respectful and openminded.

So just continue with your silly beliefs being different than your racial slurs, Dan. Just continue not know what a stupid or silly racial slur is simply because you didn’t mean it.
A fire is still a fire no matter how it got started.

No matter how you want to cut it - A RACIAL REMARK, A SLUR, MAKING CALLOUS FUN, IS STILL A RACIAL REMARK AND RACISM.

Don’t bother responding to this - or do if you so choose but I won’t be responding back.
Ostriches with your heads in the sand.