Do you really love philosophy?

A philosopher is a person, first and foremost.

Should all people live alone?

Now apply that answer to philosophers.

Most of the best philosophers of all times lived alone.

Should all people be philosophers?

Most of the people should not live alone [size=90](thus: should not be philosophers).[/size]

Lovers of Wisdom, yes.
It would certainly create a better world if all people were philosophers - lovers of wisdom and truth too.
I can’t begin to imagine what that world would look like. Maybe like some kind of a beautiful monastery where all men (and women) work together to achieve a common goal.

Why did most of the best philosophers live alone? I’m asking.
Was it because basically they needed the silence and the outer and inner space?
Was it because basically their lives stemmed around their thinking and seeking rather than working for money - though being a philosopher is truly working - mental labor is much more difficult than physical labor.
Even a modern-day philosopher who works at philosophy - a university or any another job, needs that SPACE for himself.
He chooses a solitary life in the name of his first lOVE AND and PASSION.

We dance.

She’s being competitive.

By the way, wasn’t your ideal to destroy the universe?

I have wondered about this myself. I do not think I really love it. I hunger for it sometimes. I can’t stop it. So, I concluded philosophy was a birth defect that I have.

Yes but I believe in upgrading the species first and letting them have their fun for a while.

Can philosophy be a “birth defect”?

It is a condition that I have suffered from since an extremely young age. As young as my memories go. No one else I know has it. it has impeded me from being what others call ‘a success’, or even ‘socially acceptable’; maybe even ‘compliable’. It must be a defect, then. So, a birth defect. :laughing:

Only perhaps if one or two of the parents had it within their bloodstream or thir genes.
I’d call philosophy more of a healthy, optimal addiction.

Bist Du sicher?
Are you sure?

“As young as your memories go” - that means: when you were about 2 to 3 years old. So you do still not know for sure whether it is a “birth defect” or not. And to “hunger for” philosophy “sometimes”, as you said, does not necessarily mean that it is a “defect”. But if you “can’t stop it”, as you also said, then it could probably be a “defect”. Hmm … :-k

Those aren’t ideals, Trixie. They are opinions.
Truth is beauty is an ideal.
Nature is Divine I think is an ideal.

Sorry Arc to change the venue, but i am so much enthralled. I am literally sitting in Les Deux Magots, on Boulevard St. Germain, sipping beer, (they still serve absenthe), where among others, Sartre sat ca. 1940-44. I have amazing vibes here, and next door
is another place Cafe de Flores, well it’s indescribable, but i am in 7th heaven.
I am only writng this in support of the OP, that I
really love philosophy. The situation, the setting, the atmosphere, are all perfect, and it’s a rainy day but sitting under a glass canopy, where i can see and smell the raindrops.

I am vey exited to be here and be able to share this experience with all at ILP.

Wow! I wish that i was with you there, sweet Rumi. It seems like a wonderful place to be. And the rain may be adding to the ambiance and (magic) of it. Rain is inspiring. You can imagine Sartre sitting across from you. What do you think his words might be to you? “Well, orbie I’m told that you absolutely love philosophy as I did” (that is, if he did love it as much as you do) He was an existentialist I think(?)
Enjoy your moments there. Are you getting sloshed again? Btw, I knew you were a bit sloshed when i read your words yesterday. Isn’t absenthe the stuff that Sherlock Holmes drank and Dorian Gray in the book? Isn’t that really strong stuff, orbie.

I love the smell of raindrops. I love each one individually.
Why don’t you sit and write a poem, a short one or long one, while you’re sitting there. Let Sartre inspire you. :mrgreen:

No need to say sorry orbie. You’re in the Do You really Love Philosophy thread so you’re observing the spirit of the law and there is nothing wrong with saying “hello” to everyone from a place where Sartre once enjoyed his being.

I am enthralled along with you. Many happy moments, sweet Rumi. But be careful.

Il ya seulement un jour à gauche, en commençant toujours plus: Il nous est donné à l’aube et nous enlève au crépuscule ".
Sartre

orbie,

Happy Birthday Sweet Rumi. I didn’t know. :occasion-birthday: :occasion-cake: :occasion-gift:

Thank You, Arc, deeply appreciated.

What would you say, if there was a Sartre mausoleum, Orbie?

There lies a great philosopher.
But where orbie was - here at times lived a great philosopher. Can’t you sense his lingering presence?
:laughing:

In order to really love philosophy?

Pythagoras was the first to call himself a philosopher. Did he say this because he had a big head? No, he had a romantic attachment to it. He couldn’t live without it. I am the same way. No matter how tough it is, no matter how many hard heads I come across, or how many people don’t believe in the enterprise, I too can’t live without it. It’s something that I engage with on a daily basis. It brings meaning to my life. I don’t do it for consolation, all due respect to Boethius, but I do it for the free play of ideas, and as a way of life. Doubt plagues my most cherished beliefs, and no matter how centered my ideas are I still must follow the golden cord of reason wherever it may take me. I am a philosopher, not because I stand among the greatest, but because I’m genuinely in love with it.