Posting under two accounts?

Wilf Netherton’s style of writing and positions are very similar to that of another user, Peripheral…

In fact, when I googled ‘Wilf Netherton’, turns out it’s the name of a character in the movie “The Peripheral” :-k

But I wouldn’t want to be prejudiced… don’t want to make judgments about others based on their style, and positions, and coincidental coincidences. Their essence is always something beyond it, something deeper, something not apparent, something mystical and incomprehensible to us mere mortals… despite of how obvious, and shallow it may seem at times, or all the time. It is our senses, they evolved to deceive us, and not to assist us in surviving…

So while my prejudicIST self is saying that there might be a user who is posting under two usernames (either avoiding a ban or to increase the credibility of his positions by popularity), I know that it is by definition wrong because I am being a prejudicist.

So in short, I just want to ask: Is it allowed to post under two usernames here? And how would you establish if a person is doing it or not?

IP address tracking is just another form of outdated prejudicism, no? Certainly such obsolete forms of discrimination are not acceptable in our enlightened, modern times?

All kinds of shit goes on in these forums, Arb. Mostly miserable weaklings who get their rocks off fucking with people online because they wouldn’t dare do it in person. These compose the majority of sock-puppet posters. Then you get these little cheesy cults that run amateur psyops operations and try to mind-fuck people. Some of it is for fun, some of it is for testing and initiation purposes.

If you don’t know who to trust, stick with me, kid. You’re safe with Zoot Allures.

I don’t have a problem with sock puppets per se. If they’re circumventing a ban, or spamming threads, or otherwise misusing their multiple accounts, I’d object. But if they just want to defend the free market in one thread and historical neighborhood preservation zoning in another, and don’t want to be bothered to reconcile the positions every time, I don’t see a problem with it.

I can see a problem with it.
In an adversarial system a person attacking an argument with two apparent people is underhand, and manipulative. And by using two voices you are then able to avoid banning, with one voice able to risk more by insulting the interlocutor.

So? Defeat them both. Peripheral is losing ground under both accounts fast. He is still only one man.

Philosophy isn’t won by the numbers, or the passion of idiots. Its by the turn in dialectics. A better argument silences the voices of idiots in the ears of the inquisitive.

Sad part is, I never watched this movie that obviously matters so much to him… and his arguments suck so bad, I likely never will.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Peripheral

I was kinda hoping he was using that name PRIOR to the book being released, but it was only after, so he may just be a fan. Bummer, I looked at the author’s bio, I wouldn’t mind taking him to town with all his stupid ideas.

I just caught him in a outright lie on the forum without even a hint of mitigating circumstances for a misunderstanding.

I have come across a lot of false information on the forums, but it usually was done in good faith or in jest.

I’m just… no matter how deep the rivalries get, however stupid I suppose someone to be, or misinformed… I never came to the certain conclusion someone was lying, at least not beyond a rhetorical tool to test someone, or in minor personal attacks.

First time I’ve ever seen someone outright lie on this forum, and he was blantant about it.

I really don’t know much about this guy, just everyone keep a close eye on him. I can’t figure out how a outright liar fits in on a philosophy forum. Literally zero chance for misunderstanding. He wasn’t fishing for more facts, digging deeper into the philosophy, etc, testing a idea or assumption out. Just lied. Period.

If someone says “What is 1+1=” its not lying to say “3”, cause you could be stupid. But is someone asks you to read aloud “What is 1+1=2” and you read aloud “What is 1+1=3… what you idiot, you can’t even count right, what about decimals and negative numbers…” something is wrong, especially if your so bold as to quote what I really said while saying I said the latter. He doesn’t have a skill for lying, he is bad at it, so don’t be intimidated by it. If he does it again, report him.

What do you do with a guy like that in a debate? Everyone keep an eye on him. First idiot of this scope I’ve encountered period on this site.

If somebody makes a second account to get around a ban, I permaban them, usually the IP along with it. My reasoning is, evading a ban demonstrates that the person is doing whatever it takes to circumvent the system, and thus they can’t be handled within the bounds of the system.

Wilhem doesnt appear to believe in god, so no its not the same account.

:laughing:

Banned or not, a poster should not be allowed to have multiple accounts, unless he declayers such.

Hidden multiple accounts cannot serve any purpose for any poster whatsoever, other than intellectual manipulation of cheating, thus it should not allowed.

That reasoning seems to be looking logical and more than enough, at least to me.

With love,
Sanjay

I think once (and if) you realize this is all ‘philosophy’ is anyway, it shouldn’t matter that you’ve discovered people at philosophy forums do this. I dunno, maybe you still think philosophy is real and can be done honestly, and by people who are concerned with something more than trying to impress others with all the neat words they have learned.

If you realize that everyone is full of shit (but me) it wouldn’t matter if they posted under ten accounts. Same bullshit, different screen name.

Don’t worry yourself with who is who, just keep your eye on the bullshit and picture in your head the clown on the other end behind the computer screen.

Zoot,

I very well understand and also more or less aware of what you are saying. But, I do not believe in accepting what it is, if it is wrong and changeable. I will try, at least, register my protest, and keep doing that, whether it brings any result or not.

[size=150] “God grant me the courage to change the things I can change,
The serenity to accept those I cannot change, And the wisdom to know the difference. But, God grant me the courage not to give up on what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.”[/size]

With love,
Sanjay

I think I posted under the account “TotallyNotUccisore” for a few days, many years ago.

Think i might acquire “phoneutriaisabitch” to protect my trademark.