So, what books are you reading right now?

POWER AND INNOCENCE ~ A Search for the Sources of Violence
Rollo May

Robert Anton Wilson, The Cosmic Trigger

I just finished Laughter is Better Than Communism by Andrew Heaton. A very funny book, including great commentary on multiple political thingys. Only $4 ! (I love the comedian that wrote it and wish to promote him as far and wide as possible, so I can see him in more places and things.)

I am now getting back to Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastards, Book 2) by Scott Lynch which is also a great book all about Con men in a fantasy setting.

I’m about to pick up Basic Economics, 5th edition by Thomas-Sowell Probably the closest thing I have to a bible… (I’ve read the 4th ed a couple of times.) I’ve got the link to an interview for the book in my sig.

Joseph heller, ‘Catch 22’

Carlos Castaneda

The Power of Silence

&&&&&

The Eagle’s Gift ~ Further Lessons of don Juan

Egyptian Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Goddesses and Traditions of Ancient Egypt

amazon.com/Egyptian-Mytholog … 0195170245

‘I surf, therefore I am a philosophy of surfing’ Peter Kreeft

Just finished The Double - Dostoevsky.

Anyone care to tell me what it was about?!! :confused:

[b]The Great Courses

Argumentation: The Study of Effective Reasoning, 2nd Ed.

Parts 1 and 2
Philosophy & Intellectual History
Audiobooks[/b]

That’s what I’m talking about right there! Hell yeah!

I’m reading Beowulf, the Seamus Heaney translation; the one in archaic English is barely intelligible to me.

:laughing: But Erik, you failed to say what exactly you’re talking about.
By the way, I’m enjoying the audiobooks. I’m pretty good at [arguing] :laughing: but not disciplined nor have the knowledge to present a good argument et cetera and being that I am not that knowledgeable in the first place as most here are, I need all the help which I can muster. I would call myself more the “dabbler”.
I’m so looking forward to continuing with it.

Never read that.

Good, very good, [size=150]Arc[/size]. I might check out those audiobooks too.

Never read Beowulf ? It’s a classic! What about The Odyssey or Iliad?

THINKING, FAST and SLOW
Daniel Kahneman

It promises to be quite interesting- to me.

In the international bestseller, Thinking, Fast and Slow, Daniel Kahneman, the renowned psychologist and winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics, takes us on a groundbreaking tour of the mind and explains the two systems that drive the way we think. System 1 is fast, intuitive, and emotional; System 2 is slower, more deliberative, and more logical. The impact of overconfidence on corporate strategies, the difficulties of predicting what will make us happy in the future, the profound effect of cognitive biases on everything from playing the stock market to planning our next vacation—each of these can be understood only by knowing how the two systems shape our judgments and decisions.

Engaging the reader in a lively conversation about how we think, Kahneman reveals where we can and cannot trust our intuitions and how we can tap into the benefits of slow thinking. He offers practical and enlightening insights into how choices are made in both our business and our personal lives—and how we can use different techniques to guard against the mental glitches that often get us into trouble. Winner of the National Academy of Sciences Best Book Award and the Los Angeles Times Book Prize and selected by The New York Times Book Review as one of the ten best books of 2011, Thinking, Fast and Slow is destined to be a classic.

I read Kahneman a couple of months ago. What disturbed me was that he hadn’t developed a theory - hardly a good description - to define the types 1 and 2. You have to learn them by his analyses of examples. To understand them you might need cognitive psychology.

Otherwise the book is easy to read.

Reading The Iliad again. Next will be The Divine Comedy.

I’ve been wondering…who would win this hypothetical duel: Achilles vs Diomedes?

Rilx

Well, anyway, I kind of eat this stuff up and i know that I will learn from it. Anything which has to do with the mind fascinates me - leaves us open to more reflection and speculation and understanding of self.
On a scale of 1 to 10, how disturbed were you? :stuck_out_tongue:
So, are you saying that you did not go along with him and his views?

But that I think is good. Analogies and examples are a great way to learn things - because of what we do know already, we are better able to understand.

Yummy. Might you say that it could open up the doors of one’s mind to understanding more of cognitive psychology?

Says you.

No, on the contrary. I agree with his ideas completely.

Think of an explorer who had found a new land. He describes its nature, people, social organizations, etc, so well that you can easily imagine what it would be like to live there. But he don’t tell where it is, what are its neighbours or how you could get there. You cannot associate it with your present worldview; sooner or later you’ll forget it as any useless information.

That’s what disturbed me. Kahneman’s views are too remarkable to be left forgotten. I won’t forget them; I have made associations my way, but I would have liked to know more about his, just to get a firmer ground under my feet.

[size=150]THANK YOU FOR ARGUING[/size]

WHAT ARISTOTLE, LINCOLN, AND
HOMER SIMPSON
CAN TEACH US ABOUT
THE ART OF PERSUASION

By Jay Heinrichs

anti-dialectics.co.uk/page%2 … pendix-One

Audiobook …

[size=150]Will in the World[/size]
How Shakespeare Became Shakespeare

Stephen Greenblatt

Greenblatt knows more about [Shakespeare] than Ben Jonson or the Dark Lady did."―John Leonard, ?Harper’s

A young man from a small provincial town moves to London in the late 1580s and, in a remarkably short time, becomes the greatest playwright not of his age alone but of all time. How is an achievement of this magnitude to be explained? How did Shakespeare become Shakespeare? Stephen Greenblatt brings us down to earth to see, hear, and feel how an acutely sensitive and talented boy, surrounded by the rich tapestry of Elizabethan life, could have become the world’s greatest playwright. ?A Pulitzer Prize and National Book Award Finalist.