Introduce yourself here <-----

My name is Jimmy. I had thought message boards dead, and maybe this one will be soon, but will try to post until it is. I live in South Dakota. If I am going to have decent conversation it must be in places like this. None of the IRL neighbors are interested. Thanks for having me.

:laughing:

Goord morning.

My name is Ed and I am a dreamer, sound engineer and currently a short term insurance broker. As of the 6th of October I will be a student again studying programming. (Have to learn more in life)
I love my wife, writing, dancing, good music and nature. The occasional psychedelic is seen as an escape from reality, but purely for recreational fun.

We live in Cape Town, South Africa, but exploring the options of moving abroad to a (hopefully) more majestic piece of earth. I love my town and surroundings, but there is just to much to see in the world than to sit in one place and think it is the best place on earth.

I am a religious man, but wont force that upon anyone as it is on the small list of impossible things one can achieve. Freedom of will is HUGE!

Anyways, I am here to have a good conversation, learn and teach. :-"

Good day Chainsmoker Shawn.
What do I need to know about this place? In general open minded or tend to stick to one idea?

Welcome to ILP guys!

A lot of different people here with different ideas, some are open minded, others tend to stick to one idea. Depends on your definition of open minded and what’s being talked about.

Peoples opinions and views here differ quite radically, all across the known spectrum and beyond. It speaks for itself that not everyone is open minded, but there are plenty of those who are. Usually, people go in waves a bit, from being open minded to closed minded and back again.

Religion pertains to peoples personal values, this is why you can not enforce it on someone, and why there are so many religions – and why it is so easy for religions to get entangled in conflict.
You are very right about will.

That is good to know. I’ve noticed that some forums only follow the mindset of a handful of users and that is exactly what I want to avoid.
O:)

Let me go find my spot in here.

Hello, I am Darian, I am new to these forums. I enjoy philosophy even though it is beginning to drive me towards insanity. I hope to find similar minds here to befriend. You know what they say though, that there is no genius without a touch of madness.

Welcome… glad to see you’re already enjoying the boards :wink:

Thank you. :slight_smile: Seems better than the last forum I was on so far. But then again I guess ‘better’ is a bit subjective.

It might help to realize that these forums are not designed to associate like-mindedness, but rather to find out what is wrong with you thinking, from which one might deduce like-mindedness. And since no two people begin with exactly the same mind, it takes a while for each to grow (quite a while) to the point where they can agree on a significant portion of their thoughts and beliefs. You are merely in the beginning of that process, so have patience, and be willing to reconsider a few things … or not … your choice. :sunglasses:

I’m not entirely new but I figured I would introduce myself again since nobody knows me anyways.

I lurked around the forum two or three years ago, posted here and there and for no reason, I forgot about the forum. A lot of things happened between now and then. I pursued my study in philosophy. Now I’m an undergraduate in a Liberal Arts college, studying mainly Classics. It’s good to be back.

Welcome back!

Good thing you still remember your username and password after 3 years, otherwise you’d have to make a new account :stuck_out_tongue:

New member here - that’s all I have to say, and I’m looking forward to post here.

I recognise that avatar…

I see… =D>

Yeah, even the best thinkers are a bit schizo.

Only to the majority of “normal” people though. The geniuses/wise men look at them like they’re the crazy ones because most often they are, and the normal ones who don’t understand the full picture look at the geniuses/wise men like they’re crazy. Yet look at everything they bring us through their discovery and unnecessary suffering that people take for granted and constantly complain of.

Unnecessary suffering? I dunno, the proof is in the pudding…

G’day. Nice to see another new member who likes to keep it short and sweet. :slight_smile: