Reporting Death Threat

Oh dear lord, I have had people so pissed off at me they tell me they are going to kill me. About one every few years. At fifty I ought to be dead. Saying I am going to kill you is about the equivalent of saying fuck off I don’t want you in my life now, at least in the USA. Smart people walk away, dumbasses stay and push more buttons. I blame the dumbassses.

I think you’re a petty and vindictive asshole.

I have had it said to me. I haven’t ever had it typed at me. Me US cit also and sure i’ll kill you and the like is common, especially amongst children. I think a family member or two has said it. Though pretty much every time it was someone I knew, someone whose emotional expression I knew and could place the expression in the context of our connection. I don’t remember many strangers saying it to me. I think this is because when a stranger says it it is harder to know if it is a real threat or not, so generally people avoid that expression with strangers. I am sure it happens, but I think generally then violence is near the table if not necessarily on the table.

But typing it?

What would it take to get you you type that threat?

Stuff gets blurted out, speaking, that is.

But to sit down and type coherent, often long sentences in idiotcoms case, where threats are made and put in the context clearly. That’s not blurting.

I don’t mean that this means he really would do violence. I DO mean that it is not what happens when you cousin says she is going to kill you for telling Tommy…[and so on]

I.I. is hardly improving the forum. I think he’d drive away some members with a higher sense of decency and sanity. We’ve lowered the bar plenty.

No, we’ve lowered ourselves. He has a radical, yet predictable imbalance between inductive and deductive reasoning, hinged on aggression and protectiveness in the fight or flight response.

It’s a common trait in many thinkers… we all possess this thought pattern actually, much of the discussion on this site sits on one extreme or another…the preference is deeply hard wired. In our dialogue, we have to be aware he in inherently hostile to source ideas and personifications that lead to pain and alertness on his end. He is much better than most here on this site at linking concepts together from schematic presentations.

When you talk to him, try using syllogisms that transfer verbal thought in a linear pattern, into visual aspects (description of parts).

He will read this and become self conscious, but will also grasp the truth of this. It will take time for him to learn to balance deductive and inductive thoughts into synergistic patterns he can accept. One glance at half the agnostic and atheistic rebuttals on this site against strawmen suggest too many infact carry an unhealthy imbalance themselves…

We just gotta learn to get out of our shells. Imagine if you were a lawyer, and you had to deal with a hostile witness. Hostile why? You have a job to do… people are watching. You have to analyse the person then and there, and approach them responsibly, with a understanding of what makes them tick to get the data you need out of them.

In Philosophy, especially in debate, we have to deal with a wide range of hostile contenders, who don’t always play by our rules. They might not care for your presentation, or see what is wrong with your assertion they are operating off a logical fallacy. You gotta play by their rules… if your going to get the idea across. It takes rhetorical finesse and dialectic honesty to approach.

A good philosopher can do this. Approach many kinds of thinkers, tackle the underlining issues they have against our point of view.

We no longer PRODUCE good philosophers. Reason why… for starters, we turn off, and turn away from thinkers such as Idiot. Let’s look at similar thinkers, who took the style of thinking to the ultimate extreme… Timothy McVeigh, The Unibomber, bin Laden… our society just writes them off… no fucking clue or even an attempt to grasp them, communicate with them, figure them out. They all present predictable traits. They all have a remarkable specialization in thought. They all are rebelling against painful threats, and are protecting something.

Because we fail like idiots to actively engage such people in philosophy, they continue, unchecked… till some amazing masterplan is hatched… then everyone is fucked. Our civilization is stuck in this silly cycle.

Quite frankly, I would prefer a few more guys like Idiot and Ben on this forum, and strap those eyelid openers from “A Clockwork Orange” to the people who maliciously and fanatically assault such thinkers… in the abhorrent name of recoiling from emotions and just about any extreme, demarking etiquette and equanimity as the valued virtues, banishing such bad people like Idiot away. Its a sickening demand that everyone else much arbitrarily support one thinking style by ostrichizing the other. Fuck that Dan… how about we raise this sites standards by booting your ass out?

In philosophy, when you present ideas, be prepared to receive from all kinds of cognitive styles. Learn to deal with it… we all have an intellectual Achilles Heel, a point from which we act and express our thoughts increasingly irrationally.

Idiot sits on a stable, and yes, SANE personality type. You ban him, you basically wrote off half of Seattle, South Korea, and some of our best politicians and programmers. You lose most school teachers, our best abstract theorists, and finest theologians.

I’m not interested in arguments to banish anyone. You wanna learn to do philosophy, learn how to deal with different kinds of thinkers. We are showing a unhealthy cultural deficit on this site to back one kind of thinker over another, and our society has shown this to be a weakness too… we fail to communicate and competently respond… countless acts of violence and terror results.

Idiot has already begun grappling this himself, he is self conscious of his weaknesses. How many of you are aware of your own flaws of ignorance? A good philosopher raises the bar, without excuses. A good philosopher takes philosophy seriously, and doesn’t try to weed out every different kind of thinker, so we can have a pathetic club of similar minded thinkers. Get in the mix.

Thank you for understanding me, Contra. I am not perfect and so in some ways I am still imbalanced. I will never doubt my self again, though; and it has taken all of my experiences here, even, to bring me to this point I am at. I am not saying I won’t ever lose my temper again or that it’s wrong. I’m not saying I won’t swear or cut people down if I have to. I believe these are reasonable responses to a vastly unreasonable problem.

I am sorry for the way things have been, but could any of you honestly say that the full of the message would have or could have been gotten across without the chain of events since my entrance to this place; at this point in time with the world the way it is? I believe it was necessary for each of us as exactly what it was. Let us move on, though.

It is not that I wanted to be away from here; it’s because I wanted to be away from those types of people because of what they made me feel. In some ways, Mr. Reasonable was right when he said I was panicking a bit (if he was the one who said it.) As I have said, I am now firmly on the path I want to be on and know it full well and have made it over the biggest hurdle in the way. There are still hurdles, but they are small in comparison and the rest of the journey is downhill.

I have realized that my journey is what it is and what it had to be with the world the way it is. If the world were different, nobody would suffer as much as we have in our lives; they wouldn’t ever need to. Love was always just as important as knowledge and wisdom and understanding. Logic and compassion go hand in hand.

As you have said, it is not what you believe, it is how you believe it. I have never had a problem with someone having an alternative belief as long as they can fully theorize it without resorting to petty bullshit, which people of a lot of varying groups have done; including this one; and I’m not point fingers individually but at the entire human race. It pained me to hear their responses to simply being told they were wrong; ‘no, this isn’t the answer and this is why.’

Certainly our best bet of going into the future is growth and helping each other grow according to our individual strengths and weaknesses and how to make those compliment the whole of society. There is no need for all of this futile fighting and struggling once humanity as a whole overcomes its insecurities. This is all I have ever said, or tried to say.

I have pushed people to become better than what they were; some hated me for it; some were indifferent; a few even thanked me for it, in their own manner. The fact is still that neither one of us would be what we are without every other person in the world. Each of us is important; the butterfly effect and hidden connections are important; love is important.

We have all lowered our selves, which is why it becomes our responsibility; all of us; to help undo that and raise our selves back up. This is what I have been doing and what I have been urging others to do as much as possible. My impatience and anger in that regard must be until they no longer need to be and as I have said: it becomes only a matter of time at this point.

Great post. I don’t agree with all of it, but it was nevertheless great.

This sounds like a case that only Sherlock Holmes is capable of solving.

There comes a time when you just have to toe a hard line and show tough love instead; and if you can’t understand that, you will. You teach them how to fit into nature, you break that wild spirit of theirs and then build them up fresh and in a way that is conducive to the whole; you teach them how to reignite that fire inside of themselves and use it productively; no matter how hard it gets; and as you have seen there are some unruly children.

Who will serve justice where the laws of men fail to? One born from and raised by the Earth and given a portion of the spirit of the immortal. A mixture of mortal and God; no different than anyone else. Just different choices influenced by different parts of society. Each one of you would have done exactly the same if you had worn my shoes in life and vice versa; so don’t see it as me judging you. You do that to your self based on your perceptions of what is said.

but don’t push it, because we’ll make your perception a reality and then live our reality.

And the way I see it; none of you were getting very far with this without God. Seems to be something to it after all, huh.

I know what you did to me. You can cover it up all you want, but that’s bullshit.

Someone slipped me acid or lsd yesterday and fucked with me hardcore last night.

See a physician.

No. I’m going to be fine. I’m a survivor; not a victim.

My summer right after sixth grade, I read each and every story of Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes. The orphanage had this great little library and I found this thick onion-skinned book of Sherlock Holmes. I would go up to our playground and sit in the cornfield and read, read, read - happiness personified, at least while I was reading.

There’s no case to solve here. Sherlock would simply tell us that the case is over. The he would go pick up his violin and start playing - “Let It Be”. It was Doyle who actually composed the song. :laughing: McCartney and Lennon found an old written manuscript of it and made it their own.

Sometimes it is the strongest will and spirit which lets it be!

Only kidding about the manuscript thingy.

This should be addressed.

If you find yourself in an environment where people slip you acid without your knowledge or permission, then you’re not in a safe environment. I don’t care how benign or friendly they think they are being, or how you choose to slice this pie - these people do not respect you. You think you’re a survivor? Somebody else thinks you’re a door mat. And you, being an adult, I assume, are ultimately responsible for putting yourself and staying in this position. If that is what you want, to be an abuse survivor, then maybe you have some deeper issues to address, like guilt.
Do you, deep down, think you deserve this treatment?
If you took acid voluntarily and lied about it (for whatever reasons), then it raises a different question as to how to integrate acid tripping (or altered states of consciousness) into philosophical inquiry, and if it’s even possible. (I’m assuming here that you were tripping while posting yesterday). I try to remain open minded but there is a point at which a dialogue becomes a monologue, a soliloquy. You are talking to yourself, your angels and demons, stuck in your parallel universes or wormholes, or whatever. You can put it in creative writing if you want, but don’t confuse it with philosophy. Philosophy deals with the mind, specifically with rational mind. Otherwise, at best, it would be mysticism or religion.

OP: I suppose death threats are considered religious expression. It’s the same throughout the western world. And more an more I think that if you are going to allow these Mesopotamian, prescientific tribal religions to be expressed, death and war and stupidity is all you’re going to get.

What of the animal kingdom? I think we are no whole as a human race, we are only a whole including the whole ecosystem. We are not alone, humans don’t matter that much.

What matters is valuing what is of value to you, and recognizing what is taking away from you. I believe that was also Pandora’s larger point. You will harm people who might like you whenever you step in harms way.

You must also consider rocks, air, the sun, the moon, the waters - humans are only of slight influence to each other, compared to the influence they all receive from the elements.

No human can be free amidst only humans.

This reminds me of something a German farmer once said to me: first learn to love a plant, then an animal, then another human, then yourself.
In this way you will naturally find that in loving all these you have been loving yourself. To love is to self-respect.

The other may feel the same way about you,
But you have time. In time, you will both know. Until then, you struggle. The world watches as you try to establish yourself. This is what life is.

Youth is thinking that others don’t respect you. Maturity is knowing what respect is. All mature beings have embraced the struggle, their part of it, and - as that is shown in a mushroom-trip - the suffering becomes enduring and enduring becomes pleasurable. From the pleasure in being resisted, life is born. Some minds stay barren as their organisms can not get used to the burden that it is to exist without a known standard for goodness.

I say leave every beast in his wilderness. Find out which wildernesses overlap. I assure you my idea of dignity and yours are not the same, and yet we will have a lot to agree on. Let man be man - after all this is a growing process. There need to be many levels in operation at once. There need to be Bodhisattva’s and beginners for there to be a process at all. The greatest Bodhisattva is the Sun. He teaches the basic rules, the ones we can not avoid knowing. His daughter, the Earth, and all the other offspring have many rules for us to learn and each rule is one of bliss.

A smarter man than most “philosophers”.

I told him as much.

Didn’t go over well.