Do you really love philosophy?

My loving parents, wife, etc. may be lopsided. It may be a delusion i want to believe. Delusions are conceptual. Therefore there is little difference.

Yes, philosophy is sometimes similar to art, but mostly yet different. It’s a bit like Schopenhauer said in his book: “Die Welt als Wille und Vorstellung” (“The World as Will and Representation”), 1818. Merely the genius of music, or poetry, or visual arts, can consider and illustrate the eternal ideas by pure contemplation and unusual power of Imagination. The music has a particularly high significance, since the music does not reflect the ideas, what the other arts do, but the music is the immediate objectification of the world will in us. Do you like (not love :wink: ) Schopenhauer?

Therefore some music from Wolfgang A. Mozart and Ludwig v. Beethoven:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12LQu9HM4ic[/youtube][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xYjz9T4U64[/youtube]
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Die Zauberflöte, 1791. Ludwig van Beethoven, Ode an die Freude (Freude schöner Götterfunken), 1815-1824.

Then you probably like this songs:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkhX5W7JoWI[/youtube][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBYrpDAMWX0[/youtube]
Pink Floyd (Waters, Mason, Wright, Gilmour), Money, 1973. Pink Floyd (Waters, Mason, Wright, Gilmour), Pigs, 1977.

That must (also) be philosophy for you, right?

I once heard of a Swedish woman, that she was in love with the Berlin Wall (and still is - she has a part of the Berlin Wall at home). Her name is Eija-Riitta Wallis Winther Arja Nikki Lee Eklöf (* 20th of March 1954); she calls herself Eija-Riitta Eklöf-Berliner-Mauer. Her website: Http://www.Berlinermauer.se.

Love at first sight?

Which picture do you have in your head when you’re in love with the philosophy? Perhaps the following one:

In love?

You, Arminus, a good German, and me obe, a good hungarian, whatever, may understand that love what we call love be waaaaaaaaay different from what we think of it from how we feel about it. A lot of love, and i would not consider most of it., is projective, we want to believe we are loved to the same degree as we love, bur sorrily, late, too late we find out it is not so, and do gooders as we are supposed to be , and acting as we are supposed to, from ideal conceptions of love, we are stuck with responsibilities, which the GERMANS,or even EUROPEANS as a whole are very good at subscribing to. So , more often than not, we are left with lopsided definitions, feelings, but the good old Protestant ethic of do good, sticks, and we want to believe in love.
The same goes for religion, we go to church to impress our neighbors, friends, of our upright attitudes, and we intercourse our wives and lovers out of the need to satisfy per contractual responsibility. Then we hit the bier gartens with relish, relieved of having to justify ourselves.

I think, the English-speaking people, especially the US people, are very quick with the statement „I love“, especially „I love it“; so they often confuse the verbs „love“ and „like“, and (please take me not bad) they tend to exaggerations. It is not bad, but it is striking. „Okay then: I »love« philosophy.“

P.S.) When did you leave Hungary?

1956 during the revolution.

Thanks. And when did you fall in love with the philosophy?

UMMM, I don’t believe love is the correct answer.
I have been wrestling with philosophy for 40 years and this wrestling is
not about love but about understanding. I believe philosophy is not about love
but about the struggle for understanding. Love is peaceful, sunny walks on the beach,
flowers and a string quartet whereas philosophy is violent, competitive, forceful.
music by The Who. Philosophy is not love but doing battle.

Nietzsche: it is not enough to have the courage of your convictions, but you must have the courage for an
attack upon your convictions.

Kropotkin

I do not think that the term love is appropriate in the case of philosophy, at least in the english language.
One can like or even dislike (like modern day scientists) philosophy. But, it cannot be the termed either as love or hate.

As far as i am concerned, i would say that i like philosophy but i do not love it.

Though, i am nowhere near to be an expert in english language but I think that we are missing one point about love.
Besides verb, love sometimes is also used as an idiom also.

Like in the sentence, I just love rock music, love is also a phrase to lay emphasis the intensity of the liking. Theoritically, love should not used for non living things, but used here intentionally as a idiom to show how extreme the liking is.

with love,
sanjay

That is true in the most of the cases.

with love,
sanjay

If I’m listening to pink floyd, it’s either “time” or “lost for words”.

That is the right relationship to philosophy. As I said:

Yes. But what about Eija-Riitta Eklöf-Berliner-Mauer then?

I’ve never remembered a time when i wasn’t.

So you have been loving the philosophy since you can think, haven’t you?

If you like (or even „love“?) the philosophy, you may probably also like (or even „love“?) the arts, for example, the poetry, the visual arts, and especially the music.

Here some art examples I like very much:

A) Poetry:

„Ich bin ein Teil von jener Kraft, // Die stets das Böse will und stets das Gute schafft. // … Ich bin der Geist, der stets verneint! // Und das mit Recht; denn alles, was entsteht, // ist wert, daß es zugrunde geht; // Drum besser wärs, daß nichts entstünde. // So ist denn alles, was ihr Sünde, // Zerstörung, kurz das Böse nennt, // Mein eigentliches Element.“ - Johann Wolfgang (von) Goethe,[i] Faust /i, 1790 / 1808, S. 64-67.
[size=70]Translation:[/size]
„I am Part of that Power which would // The Evil ever do, and ever does the Good. // … I am the Spirit that denies! // And rightly too; for all that doth begin // Should rightly to destruction run; // 'Twere better then that nothing were begun. // Thus everything that you call Sin, // Destruction - in a word, as Evil represent- // That is my own, real element. “ - Johann Wolfgang (von) Goethe, Faust (I), 1790 / 1808, p. 64-67.

B) Visual arts:

Caspar D. Friedrich, Kreidefelsen auf Rügen, 1818, & Der Wanderer über dem Nebelmeer, 1818.

C) Music:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA0gF41LOKg[/youtube][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9TmQQQGddQ[/youtube]
Ludwig v. Beethoven, 5. Sinfonie, 1800-1808. The Doors (Morrison, Manzarek, Krieger, Densmore), The End, 1967.

Do you like the arts, or do you even love the arts? And what about the philosophy? Do you like the philosophy, or do you even love the philosophy? It is certainly no quibble, no logomachy, no hair-splitting, because even here in this thread there are conflicting statements:

Pro LOVE - for example:

PRO LIKE - for example:

The distinction between „love“ and „like “ seems to be important, meaningful.

Welcome, Pharaoh!

First of all, a kid is normally loved not only by the mother, but also by the father. So you should say: Parents normally love their kid.

As i said: I don’t love philosophy, I like philosophy. So before I give you a “number from -100 to +100”, I would like to determine that scale a little bit, for example in this way:

-100 to -51) “I hate …”;
-50 to -1) “I dislike …”;
+1 to +50) “I like …”;
+51 to +100) “I love …”.

1. How much are you attracted towards philosophy (say, love philosophy)? My answer according to the scale: 40 to 50.
  2. How deep are you interested in philosophy? My answer according to the scale: 90 to 100.

But again and again: I don’t love philosophy, I like philosophy. ALthough I like philosophy very much, I don’t love philosophy.

What about you?

Sorry for delay.

Thank you.

I wouldn’t have thought you’d take it literally. I just mentioned a mother, because she loves her baby even before it is born. Don’t you agree with me, that true or false, mothers are symbol of love for their children, unless a male chauvinistic drive rules it out?

At noon, +30
In the afternoon, +50
In the evening, +75
Around midnight, +90
Early morning -40
In between, there are lots of other figures.
This is approximately what has been the case during last three months, asked about earlier periods, I should think hard to remember! What I mean is that, feeling that a person has for something, is not all that rigid. It may go through alterations, as the time pass by, and different events happen in life.

Does this apply to only one of the two questions, or both?

Here are the two questions again:

1. How much are you attracted towards philosophy (say, love philosophy)?
  2. How deep are you interested in philosophy?

2 the point of self destruction: the neglect of the petty and mundane which sustains us all.