Advertising and Authority

Interestingly that site is evidently designed with the purpose of advertising itself.
I find such layouts distracting - I am being told what to value. This is very difficult to reconcile with my philosophical mindset.

Could you post and impressionist image as an example of something that might work in an advertisement? Since you have practical experience.

Interesting. What would be one concept that has been maximized for impact in a way that was very costly?
For example, is “Just do it” an expensive concept?

There must be some kind of depth to it. Which employee, in a typical agency, would you say is the most profound thinker, the deepest mind?

I agree. In this sense it’s a continuation of religion - but rather a heathen liberation from the Christian sexual and modesty mores.

Exactly.

It works in two ways. The ad man tries to read the mind of the viewer, and connect the product to this mindset. At the same time he will be stimulating and perpetuating the mindset that allows him to be persuasive.

In principle, we could make use of this pre established ‘blank stare’ in any way we’d wish.

Because money is running out. People find that they can not be how they’ve been trained to value themselves. Mass cognitive dissonance, an urge to return to reality, but a complete lack of capacity to interpret reality in any way except the pleasure principle. That’s how it stands - in this turmoil I’m thankful to be trained in using my imagination to persuade myself of what I’ve decided is true. There is no more reality that is handed out without a price.

The trick to selling a truth is to make it seem like a luxury and a privilege. Often that means making it expensive. In more interesting cases it means that only a certain audience is permitted to the product. Any truly thing of power being advertised must discard a lot of people by simply making itself known.

I’m not talking about Mercedes but it’s not entirely unrelated.

But what Nietzsche leaves out here is that the Greek surface is beautiful because the body is superabundant.

I would guess there are even mixed messages in their, some judging sex. But more importantly, I see primarily anti-lliberation messages. YOu are a Surface. You need to have the perfect Surface or you will not get X, y and Z. Bad people have negative emotions. Losers are like ________. You can buy your way to happiness. If you do not own X you will not be happy. Men and women interact like _____________. To be the right kind of man you are like ____________ To be the right kind of woman you are like ___________You are the sum of your Products. If what you have is old but not yet an antique you are ______________[negative evaluative term] And much more constraining, judging, manipulating, distorting and severely limiting and causing a lot of fear and confusion about what one is.

and in most cases they have been a third parent, often, perhaps most often, having more time to beam messages into that child’s mind than either parent or both has had.

As much of the West gets poorer it will be interesting to see what the advertisers do and what Products the lower classes and the precariat have aimed at them.

Advertisement is a extension of propaganda. They’re almost identical. Like cousins of each other really.

Being a filmmaker and photographer as well as a value-ontologist I’m interested in advertisements on both an artistic and philosophical level. Most of them are ugly as fuck, that’s an issue that has to be separated from the violence before we can proceed into a reconstruction of the concept into an asset.

Everything abstract is a type of symbology trying to convey a message. The artist is constantly trying to convince people of something.

Not at all, but you wouldn’t know what it means to not try to convince anyone.
Wanting to convince is the antithesis of creativity. They can come together (synthesize) and then you get things like political media and advertizements. Creativity + a sense of lack.

Good art (what’s good in my book ) is born out of excess, surplus.

All this artist needs to do is share his abundance.

It’s not a concept that many people seem to understand.
The rarity of this non teleological abundance is what taught me more than anything about mankind.

When you think about it, literarcy and the ability to paint or build in the physical world was the medium of the last century.

This time around. it’s the ability to program. The excess you think doesn’t exist, or that doesn’t exist to the degree that you like, does exist. You’re just oblivious to it.

Time to get with the program, gramps. If that is what you really aspire to find in life.

Advertising can be cool, fun, informative, ingenious etc. so why does it have the negative label? as no-one is forcing you to buy into certain lifestyles or products.

Post an example of your idea of the best and worst advertising campaigns, and I will respond in kind :wink:

I just read an article in my december Mensa magazine about how this is exactly not true when it comes to the increasingly effective attempts by companies to actively control your thinking when it comes to advertising and encouraging the purchasing of their products. There was mention of an experiment that successfully controlled how long customers looked at a certain product, and how many products they will look at, simply by manipulating the lighting. And there are so many other factors that companies have capitalised upon thanks to the most up-to-date neuro-science and experimentation, that taken together fall little short of force - the brain is easily manipulable and the intention is absolutely that of control, but most disturbingly, selling the idea that the consumer is the one in control.

It’s all way way sinister, and I cannot help be repulsed by it. The only aspect of force that’s been removed is the physical side, which it turns out isn’t particularly needed anyway.

Do you deny that your line of work is nothing other than the attempt to manipulate minds?

Like I said, its not a concept many people seem to understand.
If I’m a grandpa you’re my wife’s poodle.

Magsj - one of the ones from when I still enjoyed them was this one.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riH9vwjebII[/youtube]

Recently, this was brilliant

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ15vCGuvH0[/youtube]

I have no idea how much these campaigns improved the sales though, so what’s “good”?

Hard to say what’s bad, as so much is… and yet isn’t because it’s effective. What is most obviously bad in Holland is the ads for toilet cleaner which are dubbed from the original German version.

Also I’ve repeatedly been impressed by Nike ads.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_JS1YG8H2c[/youtube]

Kids are watching advertising. Their minds and conception of reality are being formed Before they have the tool to tune this out. Of course, it works very well on adults also, in part because the backdoor - I mean this metaphorically - has been put in Place since they were kids, but not just that. There is the information directly being given in the ad, then there is the divvying up and valuing of reality going on all around this. Those with Power are getting a tremendous amount of time with growing Brains. And there needs are being fulfilled by this training.

I don’t know about you or anyone else but I buy only what I need… and that’s after researching the best brand of that product that suits my pocket and needs.

Do you know what projects I’ve worked on?

…and therein lies the problem. In my day :eusa-naughty:

:laughing:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMo-5lhpKlU[/youtube]

I like this ad campaign: Unplug1, Unplug2, Unplug3.

Promoting hedonism:

Yeah, the 80s were bad, but they are better at manipulating now. Orwell wouldn’t just be looking to the East were he alive today.

Oh, fuck yeah, thats still up?

I love this ad for Anchor Spreadable:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcc8OYpZEHQ[/youtube]