2 months--no drugs or alcohol

Good luck with your plan. If you can pull it off, you’ll be better for it.

Some tips that helped me -

If you need an energy boost, there’s lots of foods you can eat instead of resorting to caffeine.
Fruit, nuts, yogurts, eggs etc. Google it for more info.

Regular exercise. If you do that, you’ll have more energy, metabolism will increase, you’ll sleep better, feel happier.

As for stress (assuming that’s why you drink), find activities and methods that calm you. Something you enjoy or value that doesn’t demand anything great of you. Also, exercise is a great stress relief.

Hope something there’s useful to you.

Again, good luck and stay strong! :slight_smile:

Short term plan: Make it till 5 PM.

Long term plan: String together a whole bunch of short term plans.

Good luck with your plan, gib, I myself have been a periodic user for years and years, and when I can not stand reality any longer and have time to be totally free, then I will binge, but only with the thought that it is temporary.

I agree with your plan and I feel your aim is coming from one of recurrent usage.  2 months would be too long for me, the max I can bear is 1 month.

As far as strong psychedelics is concerned, I must ask you if you had ever taken them, if so I would be careful.  I had a very dreadful, near death experience, with an unsupervised very high dosage. I have had recurrent flashbacks since the 60's.

Good luck!

Eeeugh… sobriety sucks. :smiley:

Thanks everyone for your well wishes.

That’s actually really good advice. Thanks.

Too late :laughing:

Strong, as in acid and mushrooms? Yes, but not very many times, and mostly way in my past, and only mild doses (2 tabs of acid at a rave was the most I’ve done and that was kind of an “alarming” trip to put it one way).

I went three months without tea once it was hell I am English after all but gz OP. Kick that rabbit.

Gib, you’re insane / masochistic. Anyone who wants MY drugs and alcohol can count on removing them from my cold, dead hands.

I have a feeling that this might be you after the two months are up 8-[

image.jpg

image.jpg

I don’t get it.

Drink on tap, minus the Taliban costume of course #-o I can just imagine you all kitted out like that :laughing:

The 2nd image being you after your abstinence, but in human not cat form :slight_smile:

You got it made in the shade gib, 3/4 of the battle is mindset. Don’t let life break it.

A celebratory self-congratulations party? You know I’m planning it :wink:.

I’m predicting that by Feb. 14th (woaw, Valentine’s day :astonished: ), I will have collected enough music to put together my next mix. You see, I have this tradition of collecting music, and every 3 or 4 months or so, I usually get enough to put together a mix and I will listen to it highly caffeinated, drunk, and stoned. Put a headset on that guy in the pic and that just might be me in 2 months. :laughing:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN0yI-ambNY[/youtube]

1 month of complete sobriety!

Well? How do you feel comparatively?

I quit with the caffeine several months ago and have noticed that I actually feel better without it, both physically and mentally.

This thread…well…you guys probably know how I feel about all this.

What about us, who have to make up our chemical mixes as we go along to get it just right? The ones who are a tad concerned about whether our philosophy would be enhanced or degraded as a consequence of not getting it just right?

Congratulations! !!

Thanks Kris!

I do feel better, but not as much as I thought I would.

I remember from my various 2 week stretches that within the second week, I got my energy back. This has happened, but I was expecting it to be a bit more steady. I’m finding that it’s a bit more hit and miss. I’m not fully alert and full of energy throughout the whole day. I’m finding that on some days, still need a nap in the afternoon–not as bad, mind you, and not for as long–but it still happens. I’m finding that I’m usually at my energy peek late in the evening. I remember this from my teenage-hood. I would often stay up 'til 1 or 2 in the morning–I just wasn’t tired. I got hooked on caffein in the summer of 98 (I remember because I remember who it was who introduced me to caffein pills), so that would make me 22 at the time. I’m finding that pattern has returned. But it’s a mixed blessing. It’s not so good on a work night when I need to get at least 8 hours of sleep. Even if I go to bed, I tend to lie there awake thinking about shit until 2 or 3 in the morning. Then I’m dead tired for the rest of the day afterwards.

Why, oh, why could I not have this energy throughout the day?! :laughing:

As for the moodiness, I’m not really as grumpy in the morning–not really grumpy at all, in fact–but I’ve found I haven’t really become any less prone to depression ← it’s not much of a surprise that this is more psychological than physiological.

Yes, smears, we all know how you feel about topics like this :wink:

But don’t you worry–you’re invited up to Canada on Feb. 15th to celebrate with me my success at 2 months of sobriety, and we’ll get sloshed and stoned (but you have to abstain from caffein for at least a week–otherwise, you’ll never keep up with me :laughing:).

What about you? I need the same thing, except for me it’s a matter of intensity and frequency. Usually the few days after a serious binge, I just don’t feel like posting at all (although I do feel compelled to respond to my own threads).

I would totally come up there but I’m gonna be in Florida that week.

What part of Canada?

Calgary.