Now I have a Pet. Ask me Anything.

Yes, but, give the tortoise good forage and they will move readily. You have nit picked me before so I get to return it at least once… :slight_smile:
Tortoise and turtle are different. To keep it simple, tortoises are strictly land, turtles are aquatic to semi aquatic. You put a tortoise in water it will likely drown. If you can find some photos of the feet of both, you will see a distinct difference. There is more differences but, I figure this will give you a chance to do research, I generally enjoy research rather than being handed answers :slight_smile:

Yeah, I don’t really want to keep a tortoise, they sound like more work than a turtle and I really haven’t put the time into researching all the in-and-outs.

And yeah, I know the difference between a turtle and a tortoise, lol. I did a bunch of research on reptile husbandry through college in preparation for keeping this one. :wink:

Man if they bite other things naturally, then you should breed em and start putting them into turtle cage matches and have em fight it out.

I used to go to the pet store and buy 2 betas when I was in college and I’d take bets and fight em in the dorms. It’s a lot cleaner and easier to hide than cockfighting. Good way to make a few extra bucks in college.

I can relate a turtle story that was surprising even to an occutist like me, the gypsy who sold me this sidewinder told me be careful, they bring luck, but don’t let them get away because they tend to take the luck away with them. Also she said,never ever mistreat a turtel.

We used to go to las vegas a lot, and one day we went to the Alladin hotel. They served turtel soupo and we thoiught will try it. Next day, we lost and lost. There was no end to it.

Then the following year we went back lhinking to go back, and the hotel was demolished. They didn’t serve trutle soup long either.

Just a thought.

I hope your turtle brings you much happiness.

That’s pretty charming. :laughing:

Anyway, like Dan~ said, hope it all goes well.

Ucci, I think the ease of care is perspective. A pet turtle can thrive in an aquarium, a tortoise needs space, a turtle is more carnivorous, tortoises are vegetarian. Turtles require more interaction for health, , a tortoise likes to dig…it just depends upon the human. I know of a few tortoises that have been passed down from parent to child. The tortoises live in the house and yard enclosures, they do get large if cared for. I have yet to hear of turtles surviving even one generation of human care. I am sure a few have,maybe. I think perhaps it might be due to environment and or diet.

So far so good. He’s kind of pissed at me today, I had to handle him a bunch yesterday. He’ll get over it.

Oh that is definitely a common thing with both turtles and tortoises… attitude … and people say reptiles have emotions. I knew a rat snake that could get pissy if you moved an object in his tank or fed him dead food. Otherwise he loved it when you held him.

Goggle is pretty friendly and engaging as long as you don’t take him out of his space. Then he gets very fussy.

Holy shit, I just did some more research and discovered my Pelomedusa Subrufa is actually a Pelusios castaneus! I’ve been living a lie.

OH the horrors! But, will you still love the little one???Can you??? Is it possible???

Back to the promise to answer anything and everything. My side winder aquatic turtle has been kept in a small container, now that the weather forbids me to take her outside, she is sitting on a rock inside that small container, under a heat lamp, which is turned off during nights. I don’t heat the house since I grew up in a cold climate, and california does get nippy but that’s about it.

My question is, with a very sedentary life, can she do well, because I was advised not to handle her due to their dislike of touching. Is this lifestyle detrimental toward her longevity? I hear she may live to 40 years, in which case she will outlive me.

I still don’t know what a side winder aquatic turtle is, I am pretty sure that’s not really what it is called.

You should handle her as little as possible, but she should have space to swim around. A very, very crude rule of thumb is 10 gallons of water per inch of turtle, but it seriously just depends on the species and their age.

Most turtles need to have their water heated (depending on the air temperature around the enclosure of course), not just the basking spot.

If you could give me the actual name of your turtle’s species (common or latin name, either is fine) or failing that, share a picture of your turtle, I could give you more detailed info. I mean, turtles live in almost all climates- some hibernate under frozen ponds in the winter, some live in the desert and almost never encounter water, some climb trees. I really can’t advise you based on ‘it’s a turtle’.

EDIT: Here is a turtle dealer site that has lots of pictures of common pet species from around the world. If you could find your turtle in this directory, that would be fine too. theturtlesource.com/p.asp?id … 9&main=333

My heart will go on. I sent the turtle dealer an email letting him know he’s got his hatchlings mixed up. Luckily the species are close enough that I don’t have to really change how I care for him.

If this was true, - wouldn’t they then be able to kill themselves through overfeeding in the wild?

If it was as easy to get food in the wild as it is to get it by begging from a human being, yeah. I’m sure it happens from time to time. It’s not that unusual, you know- animals that do fine in the wild being prone to obesity and other over-feeding problems when they find themselves as pets to well-meaning owners who spoil them.

Another thing to consider is hibernation. Temperate-climate turtles hibernate in the wild (and so, don’t eat) for several months out of the year. Most people keeping these species as pets don’t hibernate them, and thus feed them all year.

Ucci, I am heartened that you are not the kind of person that would return the animal or demand money from the dealer or worse. That kind of egotistical materialistic human is just crap. They claim to be attached, find out the animal is not what they specified it to be and then just toss the poor animal aside… Thank-you for being a good human, it makes me feel better about humans. Not great, just a degree better. :slight_smile:

No way. Shipping a tropical turtle to Maine at the end of September was already something I had to think a lot about, I’m certainly not going to ship him again in November. And besides, I really like the little guy regardless of species.

Yea, they do grow on you :slight_smile: