Adages & Proverbs

We are healed of a suffering only by experiencing it to the full.”
― Marcel Proust

Reminds me of the fact that we cannot forget a thing - get over a thing - until we have totally remembered it.

“Our dear Saint (Francois de Sales) disapproved of immoderate fasting. He used to say that the spirit could not endure the body when overfed, but that, if underfed, the body could not endure the spirit.”–Jean Pierre Camus

Be still my soul, thy God doth undertake,

To guide the future as He has the past,

Thy hope, thy confidence, let nothing shake,

All now mysterious shall be bright at last,

Be still my soul, the waves and winds still know,

His voice who ruled them while He dwelt below

Amen

Katherine Von Schlegel

“The dog barks; the caravan passes.”–Arabian proverb

“Behold the One in all things; it is the second that leads you astray.”–Kabir

“Believe on the Lord, Jesus Christ, and thous shalt be saved, and thy house.” Paul, the Apostle - Acts 16:31

“WE make an idol of truth itself; for truth apart from charity is not God, but his image and idol, which we must neither love nor worship.”–Pascal

“Thou shalt have [u]no[u] other gods before Me.” Exodus 20:3 - To Moses on Mt. Sinai from God [Jehova/Yaweh]

“Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them [idols, false gods], nor serve them; for I the LORD [Jehova/Yaweh] thy God am a jealous [zealous] God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate Me…” Exodus 20:5 - To Moses on Mt. Sinai from God [Jehovia/Yaweh]

“He that taketh [u]not[u] his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me.” - Matthew, Apostle, tax collector

“Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.”–Bhagavad Gita

“For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he…” Proverbs 23:7 Holy Bible, Proverbs of Solomon, the son of David, King of Israel

“The will is that which has all power; it makes heaven and it makes hell; for there is no hell but where the will of the creature is turned from God, nor any heaven but where the will of the creature worketh with God.” William Law

“…[God is] not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance [turn from sin].” 2Peter 3:9b - Epistle of Peter, the Apostle, Holy Bible

“Love is the gravity of the soul.”==Abstract

“No man is an island… .”–John Donne

Here’s a couple of good bits of advice from Levitucus, which I follow to the letter.

22 Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.

23 Do not have sexual relations with an animal and defile yourself with it. A woman must not present herself to an animal to have sexual relations with it; that is a perversion.

Everyone, but everyone loves a little bit of genocide, especially on a Sunday.

Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

Smite that ASS!!

This all makes invasion of another country so much more easy! You gotta love God, eh?

I never found a companion that was so companionable as solitude.
Henry David Thoreau

If you are lonely when you’re alone, you are in bad company.
Jean-Paul Sartre

Prudence is an ugly old maid courted by incapacity.—Wm. Blake