Math Fun

Are the odd numbers palindromes of each other and the even likewise. If so the answer is pretty obvious, if not I shall think on? is the whole thing a palindrome?

no… i can give you a hint if you want…

Nah I hate spoilers, I have never been great at number sequences, its a blind spot for me I will think on. :smiley:

Any thoughts about my puzzle, I already gave a clue by the way. :slight_smile:

AE FHIK LMN…?

It could be 52 then say 7?

I’ll have to think on it more i spent a good bit on it this morning and got no where.

The answer to tralix’s AE problem is:
[tab]AE FHIK LMNW[/tab]

No that is not the next letter in the sequence.

[tab]It’s about topology so think shape more than sequence, maths can reduce any shape to an equation, but can your mind do the same. :slight_smile:[/tab]

A reminder of the clue in case you want help.

[tab]I’m thinking 527 for yours.[/tab]

im pretty sure that works out:

[tab]You take the sum of the digits of the numerical representation of the leters and sum them down from two digit numbers etcc…w should work but ill check it out… 15 makes 6… 68911 makes 34 3+4 makes 7 12 13 14 makes 39 3+9 makes 12 makes 3 w is 23 makes 5 plus 3 makes 8…[/tab]

[tab]No whilst that may work out it is not the answer, numbers will not help you here topology might.[/tab]

I don’t mean to sound smug at all it took me 5 minutes to get this, and I went through all the things you probably have, but when the solution came was when I stopped thinking linearly about math, and started thinking more about…

i edited the tab check it again

[tab]So did I it’s still wrong, maths or at least numbers are of no use here.[/tab]

It’s one of those things that you usually think number sequences would solve, but actually it’s far simpler than that, and when you get it, you will slap your forehead and say: how did I not get that!

You seem like a smart guy, I have no doubt you can work this out. :slight_smile:

is it [tab]t[/tab]

[tab]Hmmm if I answered that it would give you too big a clue, but suffice to say a lower case t is not the answer. Which is in itself a clue.[/tab]

Hell the reason I like this one is because number sequences are a real weakness of mine, I really am garbage at them. This however relates to all sorts of maths, but not in a conventional numerical way.

if it is not: [tab]T or S i give up[/tab]

[tab]The next letter is indeed T but not S, honestly you are thinking too hard about numbers and not shapes: topology. You know what differentiates a T from an S, you just are thinking too much about high school maths and not maths beyond it. If you’ve worked it out give me the next 3 letters in the sequence after T. :slight_smile:[/tab]

hmmm…

Well I can give you the answer by PM, but that will be one of those moments where you kick yourself so hard, that you lose the will to live. It’s really not at all hard, and it really has nothing to do with numbers per se.

[tab]lol[/tab]

Crunk I can’t believe you haven’t worked it out either. It’s sooo simple. :slight_smile:

As easy as A but not B and C.

i haven’t read the problem yet

OK then don’t read it it will give you nightmares. :slight_smile: