anyone in here with a graduate degree

Okay, so face the fucking facts then, if that’s what you want to hear: A BA in philosophy is shit. Like, utter, worthless shit. A perfect example of Good Will Hunting’s “You dropped all that money on an education you could have got at the public library for a $1.50 in late-charges,” yeah?

But at the same time, all that shit they told you (or maybe you read) about a philosophy degree is true, too: the shit you learned and experienced chasing that degree are in fact real skills that every employer looks for, and more importantly, presumably, you’ve evolved as a person into someone who is ready for whatever you choose to do now.

In terms of “mainstream” what-should-you-do bullshit, your best option is probably law school. But that shit’s hard as fuck and lawyers are a dime a dozen on top of that.

I happen to agree with Smears. School is for suckers and so is working for someone else. Beyond that I have no advice. It’s your life. And I don’t mean that in a “tough shit for you, I don’t care” way; I mean, literally, this is your story and you’re writing it. No one can truly help you in the existential, life-mission sense of the term.

Best of luck.

Man if you read enough philosophy, you’ll find a way to convince yourself that hope and hopelessness are the same.

and if I do enough methadone I won’t even care about that much

EDIT: I wouldn’t trade my current degree (and the experiences and learning that came with it) for very many things. like I said, it’s the future I’m thinking about. law school looks like shit from what I’ve read the last few hours. I’m capable but not motivated enough to sell my soul in marketing just to make 50k a year in profits.

I dunno man. 2 of my best friends, guys I see all the time have been getting a daily dose since 1999. I can assure you that you can do better than that. You at least went to college, so we know you can show up on time and that you’re at least able to remember stuff and repeat it back. Believe it or not a lot of people really can’t do that stuff. I mean no shit really.

Here look at this fun thingy. lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co … ograms.htm

And here’s a nice site. schools.lawschoolnumbers.com/

If you check those out and your soul is still kicking, then I’ll send you some more stuff.

When it occurred to me that I could make more money as a crook than as a lawyer, and that I would have to be the biggest fuck up ever to get in the kind of legal trouble that would cost as much as a law degree, I just made the mathematical choice. This way I have a chance of not owing another 100k and I can get in up to 100k worth of legal battles before it’s not a good deal.

I work with drug addicts, most of whom dropped out before the 10th grade.

the school I was looking at turns out to be loads better than expected. rank 26. I expected like 260.

shrug

I work with drug addicts too. When I was a kid my mom worked in a rehab for a while, then a place where they actually still do electro shock therapy. That’s beside the point. They’re a sick bunch man.

electro shock therapy can be really helpful for depression and isn’t supposed to be so violent as before

Yeah sure thing buddy.

I just read a few articles on it last week. it apparently stimulates neural activity when done in really small amounts. they’re looking at trying to do the same thing with magnetism or continuous means but it’s not very well understood

Maybe we can drill holes in their heads too.

why?

To let the demons out dude I dunno I’m not a doctor.

I don’t think it works like that

Credible people used to.

used to what? have real demons in their heads? there was no mechanism at work that still exists in today’s understanding of reality

I think smears was suggesting that those one time credible people are discredited by us today the same way future credible people will discredit us. But I’ll let you two go at it.

shock therapy was discredited, and has resurged through different mechanisms

Although its still widely incredible to most people.

This is why you should post more. You actually got what I was saying. That’s getting a bit rare around here.

not most scientists who have read the recent studies