Suggest and rate movies

Negative to it being anti-propaganda.

It’s some of the thickest propaganda I’ve seen laid on since 24.

See my social conditioning thread for my reasoning here.

Imho ‘anti-propaganda’ is proganda. Sorry for not making this clearer. What i mean is that if something goes against what the vast majority of propaganda encourages (eg. praises left-wing view instead of right-wing view) that adds a little balance and so i call it -anti-propaganda’ - but if the subject is not encouraged to think for themselves on the matter then it is propaganda (either regular or ‘anti-propaganda’ depending on the above)

Apologies for the confusion over definitional interpretation.

:slight_smile:

I don’t see how a show that depicts a world government where there are no freedoms and hegemonic control over everything - something in like every show that depicts any sort of future that isn’t zombies or some otherwise post-civilization thing - is going against any sort of mainstream. That is the mainstream to a T.

Of course ‘everything’ is propaganda.

Perhaps you’ve missed the key difference then in Contiinuum: the future is run by corporations and their ascent to power is chrnoicled further with each episode.

In Continuum the Goverments are at the wayside, ultimately powerless to do anything about the much greater power of the corporations who now run all police/military etc…

The mainstream is usually about greater oppression in the future, granted, but this is about corporate power over government; currently many of us think that governments will always be able to keep corporations in check through law. So Continuum is the first mainstream show (most likely sponsored by corporations like most others) to seize upon the recent shift in consciousness helped by the ‘Arab spring’ and the notorious “1%” headlines we’ve all been influenced by over the last 18 months or so.

The Dark Knight Rises - 1.5 out of 5 stars. Too much lame, over-egged dialogue. Too much music. Too much CGI. Too long, even though it is supposed to depict about 5 months of story time. Could barely understand a word the villain was saying. Two female supporting characters, neither of which got their kit off. Literally the most underwhelming movie I’ve seen in years.

Basically, if you took Waterworld and turned it into a Batman movie, you’d get The Dark Knight Rises. Do NOT pay to see this movie. I didn’t.

I work with a guy from scotland, a guy from the UK, and a girl from Ireland.

I thought I was well-versed in the UK slang, but I don’t know what ‘got their kit off’ means.

…but I can take sexually-orientated guess.

Yeah maybe.

Analyzing movies and shows for their effect on society isn’t really my ‘thing.’

To get ones kit off means to remove ones clothing, as I’m sure you figured out.

And Scotland is in the UK you bleedin’ Yank…

I just saw the cabin in the woods.

It was fucking awful.
I was surprised to see that the guy who directed the movie was a producer in two of my favorite shows of all time, Lost and Alias.

Spoilers ahead:

The scene where all the supernatural creatures are freed from their cages is hilariously bad. It’s so bad that it’s good and then becomes bad again.

IRON SKY

Very silly action comedy about Nazis hiding out on the Dark Side of the Moon who are then co-opted as part of a presidential re-election campaign. As you can imagine, it doesn’t end particularly well, but it is very funny in a lot of places and it includes a sexy young female Nazi.

3/5 stars.

You have no appreciation for the horror genre. That film was utterly brilliant. If you realize it’s a film about films.

Red Dawn (the original)

Surprisingly bad. Awful script, pretty awful acting, lots of Commies getting blown up. Would be an amusing satire on US hypocrisy over ‘terrorism’, except that it isn’t a satire, it’s a military propaganda film.

1.5/5 stars.

Me and my basketball team started to watch that movie one time (before I knew how relevant it would be in the future) and we all hated it too, turning it off quickly. Still, I commend whatever coach of ours had the balls to put it on.

How is it going to be relevant in the future?

By the future I mean now.

This was several years ago.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the Russians and Cubans haven’t invaded the US…

Correct.

However there is a new one coming out, which means they are prepping people for the idea.

I feel like it’s somewhat fair to say war is coming/planned for the United States… even without the new movie.

Probably. It is part of the reason I watched the original, I want to see how it differs from the remake.

Possibly, I have heard people outlining some scenarios which I think are moderately plausible but the optimist in me says it won’t happen soon. I can see a controlled political revolution happening in the US, which might look a lot like Red Dawn.

Stay tuned, folks.