Suggest and rate movies

I’m not particularly excited about foreign films, but I’ll check those out. Thanks!

Definitively. The best part was the young actor.

Well, I was not a huge fan of Drive. I know he was trying to portray a stoic Clint badass Eastwood type character, but he ended up looking autistic.

I’m a huge fan of Sam Rockwell. Will check out.

I saw Sunshine when it first came out, and again a couple weeks of ago. I didn’t mind the slasher/horror twist in the end.

Saw this one, too. There are so many good superhero films! I’m with the Nolan bandwagon in saying his Batman movies have been the best, though I prefer the first over the second. In the Dark Knight the ending is stupid and moralistic. It apparently turned out everything boiled down to a simple matter of Batman being right about human beings, and the Joker being wrong. I’m talking about the boat scene/prisoner’s dilemma.

Agreed. I liked it a lot.

Seen it!

I’m completely not interested in movies about high school, though Chronicle was good and it was about a bunch of high school kids.

Will check these out.

Alrighty

I actually don’t have a problem with CGI, but I’ve seen Moon and you’re right, it was amazing. I downloaded a bunch of the songs from the soundtrack after watching it.

I’ll watch it for the dialogue, but I don’t care much for the conspiracy theory type flicks.

Batman by Nolan - easily the best Im with you there lol i didnt mention it because i tend to assume most people have already checked them out lol :slight_smile:
Can’t wait til he ‘Rises’ !!

Similarly, i threw in Amelie as an afterthought because i presumed you may have seen it (sorry bout that) but if you haven’t it really is a must-see, despite the subtitles
I’m not really into foreign-language films too much but Amelie is seriously the happiest film i think it’s possible to watch :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Now, onto Drive and where it went wrong…

Producers come together and say, “Hey, i know lets round up all of the most hotly-tipped talent of our calendar day and put the mall in one movie!”
Gosling, Mulligan and the newly beloved Cranston from ‘Breaking Bad’ (whose film career is already going downhill lol)

They wanted to take the thing people love most about Gosling’s acting and amplify it for all to see, but his forte is silences (specifically his ability to act really well with his face)
so they ended up with loads of pauses [beats] which were unnaturally long. I loved the soundtrack, the opening scene (with the 80’s reminiscent pink credits) and some of Gosling’s face acting but as a whole movie,
there’s not enough there for me to really recommend it or even watch it again myself for a while.

Gosling has put in some brilliant performances… United States Of Leland, Murder By Numbers… but the best overall films he has done are 3.Crazy, Stupid, Love : 2. Stay : and 1 (the best!). ‘Lars and The Real Girl’

PS. Nolan’s boat scene in Dark Knight was great viewing but sooooo unrealistic lol - in reality I doubt many socio-psychologists would think it would happen any other way than at least one boat explosion! :slight_smile:

Closer 10/10

Probably the best dialogue of any movie I’ve seen.

is really good too.

Watch the Transformers trilogy back to back and then tell me you don’t have a problem with CGI. Aside from kids movies, CGI has ruined filmmaking. At least a bit.

It isn’t a ‘conspiracy theory type flick’, it actually pulls quite a lot of punches on that score and my major criticism is that it perpetuates the notion that the crash was somehow the result of free market capitalism.

As I have said many times before, the best two films ever made are Robocop and Who Framed Roger Rabbit? If any of you have not yet seen these films then drop whatever you are doing and get on with it.

CORIOLANUS>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I was lying in bed last night and it crossed me that I havent even mentioned my new fave film.

I have so many i tend to look back and forget my most recent acqusitions. You may have already seen it but if not and you want a really intriguing drama with lots of soul watch “Warrior”

This movie is what has catapulted Tom Hardy to the Hollywood A-list, and honestly no-one could deserve it more. If I were you Id start watching films with him in it (although you’d be forgiven for skipping, “This Means War” lol

:slight_smile:

agreed

The Transformers movies were a hot steaming pile because the writing was dumb. When it’s used as a crutch for bad writing, bad acting, and bad directing, then yes, but that’s hardly the fault of CGI. I’ve thought that maybe it’s bad because the overwhelming majority of movie budgets goes towards CGI, leaving little room for anything else. Maybe it’s also that only summer blockbusters seem use it, or maybe they’re the only ones who can hope to make their money back from using it. I don’t know. I’ll agree with you that most movies that make heavy use of CGI are shit, but I don’t blame CGI.

I have no problem with that notion. I just don’t like movies that preach, even if what they preach is something I agree with.

Seen 'em. What’s the attraction? This isn’t like a hipster thing where you say you think the greatest thing is something everyone else has seen but overlooked, like how some people will herp derp about how Dr. Seuss is the greatest philosopher, is it?

Oh hell yea! I’ve seen it twice already. Nick Nolte was amazing in it.

What if they preach a philosophy that denies the irrefutable fact that everyone has a type?

I think you would really enjoy the BOOK ‘Trouble on Triton.’ It opened my eyes to the futility in doing what you seem set on trying to do.

Without wishing to digress too much, does anyone else find the main problem with the Transformers trilogy is it is subtle military propaganda for kids?

‘Blockbusters’ are paid for by cross-promotions, which is why everyone in the movies uses Apple computers turned to face the camera - this much we all know I’m sure.

But when a movie want to use military equipment such as tanks/helicopters etc… it comes at an even greater cost. The US military demand to have influence over how the military is portrayed in the film (think of Black Hawk Down) in these cases, and in many cases have final say on the script altogether. For many producers, having their movie being pro-US is not such a sacrifice when they get to makes these impressive movies, but there are at least two clear messages radiating from Transformers…

A) US troops are all swell guys
B) Military action is exciting!

This may not make a typical American sign up for armed service but I worry about the millions of younger Americans who watch this as children and subsequently join the military or even just maintain these beliefs about the nature of the military itself.

NVM tho lol, with that rant out the way >>>

Coriolanus-- unfortunately with my 600 strong collection i won’t have the time to give much of a list unless perhaps you are looking for the top 5 or something small like that, or even the top 5 by a genre like comedy/drama etc…
Specifics help and Id hate to forget to recommend a must-see movie but I’m afraid my time is running low now as I prepare for my holiday on Wednesday.
Ill list some genres/subgenres and you tell me which are your faves ye? :slight_smile:

Historical epics
Character-based comedies
Slow but thought-provoking dramas
All non-stop action
Meaningful action with a message
LOL comedies
Unique/subtle comedies
Films one learns a lot from
Documentaries
Political documentaries/activist films
Movies set in the future

Or perhaps… any favourite actors/actresses? Or general mood of film? Any specifics would help.
Also i could screenshot the complete list but would only have titles then :frowning:

Lemme know (unfortunately i have about 10 threads open I’m trying to wrap up before i leave (ye i know, gud luck with that right? lol)

:slight_smile:

Thinking in terms of types makes things easy to understand, but I think it’s a mistake to take a useful map of the world for the world itself.

Top 5s are fine.

Generally don’t like them.

Generally hate them.

Very rarely like them.

Yup. The Raid: Redemption was amazing.

Eh…

Like them.

Great…

That’s most movies if you look hard enough, but if you’re talking about educational films, then I’m not a big fan.

Generally dislike them unless it’s about something I find interesting, and I’m ashamed to say that’s not much.

Meh them.

Love them.

Liam Neeson and Gary Oldman are awesome. I can’t think of anything else.

[hit me up when im back in mid-July if you fancy any more recommendations :slight_smile: ]

mostly excluding ones you’ve likely seen & in no particular order…

TOP 5 LOL COMEDIES
Zoolander
Big Stan
Fierce Creatures
Joe Dirt
Galaxy Quest

TOP 5 UNIQUE and/or SUBTLE COMEDIES
Griff The Inivisble
Hesher
Gentlemen Broncos
A Film With Me In It
Wag The Dog

TOP 5 NON-STOP ACTIONS
District 9
Source Code
Lockout
Battle Of Los Angeles
Attack The Block (also a comedy)

TOP 5 OTHER
The Yes Men 1 & 2
Kill The Irishman
Triangle
Shelter (kind of a horror tho)
Harsh Times

TOP 5 FUTURE/futuristic MOVIES
TRON : Legacy
Solaris
The Thirteenth Floor
Terminator: Salvation
Gamer

TOP 5 NEESON/OLDMAN
Taken / Leon (probably seen both right?)
Murder In The First
The Next Three Days
The Grey
The Book Of Eli

PS. Im also a Neeson fan btw, and i think his career is going in an exciting new direction - he’s finally getting some good ‘tough guy’ type roles and watch that space as he has some epic-looking films coming up! :slight_smile:

And as i said before also keep an eye out for Tom Hardy films, of which there are some good ones coming out it seems

I am with you except for the word ‘subtle’. ‘SCREAMING’ would be more appropriate, in my eyes. Look at where their secret base is - Diego Garcia, an island that was cleared of its inhabitants in possibly the most horrible way so that the US could build a secret base there.

I’d worry about more about the SCREAMING eugenics propaganda than the military propaganda, but that’s not to say the sheer extent of military propaganda isn’t worrysome.

However, if you enjoyed Transformers I can recommend Battleship. It is incredibly cheesy, utterly predictable, so silly that I can’t tell if it’s a pastiche or its just been made by very stupid people, but immensely enjoyable. Plus there’s all kinds of fun propaganda in it. Basically, it’s Transformers without the hour of teenage romance dross thrown in to make it more profitable. And as a result it has been a giant turkey.

I do, because it makes movies technocratic. It used to be that there were all kinds of things you couldn’t show in a movie, and hence you had to get good actors, good writers, maybe (heaven forbid) some ideas and themes in there. Now, CGI basically says ‘what do you want to put on the screen?’ and so you end up with incredibly shallow, vapid, immature films. It is partly about budgets, but it’s also about what CGI has enabled. I very much blame it for that.

No no no no no no no, nothing of the sort. I genuinely believe those are, when I look back on the (however many) films I’ve watched in my life, those two endure above all others. Also, I’ve seen both dozens of times but never get bored watching them.

I love Robocop because it’s a post-industrial dystopia come transhuman sci-fi epic come conspiracy thriller. And I just love the noises, the fact that they’ve actually got a dude inside a robo-suit, the too cool for school dialogue, the twists, the way the police cars always cause a spark on the ramp as they exit the underground carpark, the satirical news broadcasts and adverts that are the hallmark of most of Verhoeven’s great films. Basically, it has everything a growing boy needs in a movie. Plus Robocop would kick the arse of Alien, Predator, Terminator, and any other mothafucka going, with the possible exception of Black Dynamite.

I love Who Framed Roger Rabbit? because, similarly, it’s a Hollywood satire (or more specifically, a Disney satire) masked as a classic noir detective/conspiracy story, with a whole load of existential quandaries thrown in, like the classic line about ‘I can’t help it, I’m just drawn this way’. I like movies that are constantly pulling me in different directions, and that blend genres without you really noticing or caring. Plus I find Roger a really funny character, really endearing.

However, if someone wishes to challenge my claims regarding these two movies then I am certainly prepared to duel over it.

Lol ye screaming for you & I perhaps but not so much for those poor, unwitting child soldiers of tomorrow :frowning:

And Diego Garcia is an issue I’m often bringing up in political discussions with my mother who is a proud UK citizen. If i’ve got this right, the UK were actually the instigators of this most devious displacement, and then gave it to the US military - ?

As for Battleship, its not out on Bluray yet and i always wait for the hi-res versions of movies cus i have the setup to watch 'em and you can only watch a movie for the first time once. :slight_smile:

I’m also expecting soon on the bluray release calendar - Hunger Games & Hick

PS. You know there’s a Robocop remake in production with GARY OLDMAN (capitalised for benefit of Coriolanus)

Perhaps.

Yes, that’s correct. ‘Our boys’ from the UK carried out a campaign of psychological warfare against the inhabitants, including murdering their pets, and I think we now rent is to the US to do… something.

I do, yes. I expect it will be ruined by CGI but we’ll see.

Thanks dude.

I’ve seen Zoolander - like it and quote it a lot - and I’ve seen Joe Dirt and Galaxy Quest. Will give the rest a try.

I saw Thirteenth Floor. Actually, I called the ending 20 minutes into the movie.

I’ve seen The Grey - which is great -, Taken and Leon.

Taken 2 is coming out soon.

Well, he’s Bane, so of course.

Funny, I think it’s a mistake to do things you know are impossible just because you refuse to admit logical certainties. Until the next time we address your untenable childish stance.

In terms of movies I was always recommend that are not philosophical (in the main) I have to say, ‘Snatch’ is definitely my favorite.

I could watch that movie over and over and over. To me it’s the most entertaining movie ever made. All the lines are brilliant, insanely good cinematography, it has twists and turns, and the soundtrack is fucking phenomenal.

“Have anything to declare?”
“Yeah: don’t fucking go to England.”