Adages & Proverbs

Más sabe el diablo por viejo que por diablo.

“More knows the devil from being old than from being devil.”

[size=150]“Should you shield the canyons from the windstorms you would never see the true beauty of their carvings!” [/size]
Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

“Live by the word, die by the sword.”

Live by philosophy…

Irish Blessings

[size=150]May you have the hindsight to know where you’ve been
the foresight to know where you’re going
and the insight to know when you’re going too far.[/size]

[size=150]May you have warm words on a cold evening,
a full moon on a dark night,
and the road downhill all the way to your door.[/size]

A gentleman can always walk away, but he never runs away.

We are not only surrounded by, but exist in, something author Dan Simmons calls “the Void which Binds.”
It has loosely been called “Spirit” and Universal Intelligence or Mind.
We are individuals connected to everything else, not only by awareness or DNA, but by compassion… or lack thereof.
We find ourselves constantly at a crossroads of terrible choice: to promote, enhance, build, honor, bless – or to destroy.
No place was ever made to house the ones who would remain indecisive in this matter.
Mind evolution forces us to choose life or death.
There are no surprises in the Void which Binds and the advertised short-cuts do not exist.
(from an essay: What Does Becoming Human Mean – by Sha’Tara)

[size=150]The closest to being in control we will ever be is in that moment that we realize we’re not[/size].
Brian Kessler

[size=150]In real life, however, you don’t react to what someone did; you react only to what you think she did, and the gap between action and perception is bridged by the art of impression management. If life itself is but what you deem it, then why not focus your efforts on persuading others to believe that you are a virtuous and trustworthy cooperator? [/size]
Jonathan Haidt, The Happiness Hypothesis: Finding Modern Truth in Ancient Wisdom, 2005

[size=150]"The swirl of a galaxy and the swirl of a gown resemble one another not merely by accident, but because they follow the grain of the universe.‘’

• "Hunting for Hope’’ - Scott Russell Sanders
    [/size]

I loved that.
[size=150]Round and Round they danced and swirled.[/size]

[size=150]The dance is a poem of which each movement is a word"[/size]

• Mata Hari

THE FEAR OF THE LORD IS THE BEGINNING OF KNOWLEDGE, BUT FOOLS DESPISE WISDOM AND INSTRUCTION. PROVERBS 1:7
SOLOMON; SON OF DAVID, KING OF ISRAEL

[size=150]No wind serves him who addresses his voyage to no certain port. [/size]
Michel de Montaigne

[size=150]Stubborn and ardent clinging to one’s opinion is the best proof of stupidity.[/size]
Michel de Montaigne

[size=150]When I play with my cat, who knows whether she is not amusing herself with me more than I with her. [/size]
Michel de Montaigne

I can surely attest to this^. :laughing: Hi Yoda.

supercalifragilisticexpealodocious

even though the sound of it is something quite atrocious

if you say it loud enough

you’ll always sound precocious

supercalifragilisticexpealodocious :banana-dance:

[size=150]I do not believe in a fate that falls on men however they act; but I do believe in a fate that falls on them unless they act. [/size]
G. K. CHESTERTON

me too :laughing:

[size=150]The drops of rain make a hole in the stone not by violence but by oft falling. [/size]
~Lucretius
…shivers…

[size=150]The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently[/size]."

• Friedrich Nietzsche

“Thou Son, O how unlike the Father! First God Almighty comes with a Thump on the head. Then Jesus Christ comes with a balm to heal it.”–William Blake

So old and rung out so much but ah so very true…

[size=150]This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”
― William Shakespeare, Hamlet [/size]

“Pitying I wept to see the woe
That Love & Beauty undergo,
To be consumed in burning Fires
And in ungratified desires,”–Wm. Blake

It takes all worlds to make a kind.