My (and Guattari's) impression of the "Occupy Movement"

Duality, unfortunately that is what most people are doing. so nothing will change. You can’t rely on others you can rely on yourself and look in the mirror with a clear concience. and look with pride. Or you can look in that mirror and see a sheep.

My conscience? Sorry but I didn’t create this system. Im 22 y/o. What have people been doing for the past 60+ years or so?

Now people expect me to sacrifice myself for what they should’ve done during their generations? Sorry but it wont happen until they give me more than what Ive seen so far.

:laughing: :laughing: You don’t get it do you ? look at what you are doing, you are no different than any that came before you. Your words as as old as humanity. the world rings with that attitude. And then folks wonder why there is no change. It starts somewhere someone has to quit passing the buck. So if you are quite willing to pass the buck, why would you ever complain? You are doing the same thing others do. So why? why care why worry why give a rats ass in hell since you pass the buck so quickly?

Out of curiosity, and not being coy, how many would be enough?

Well… Complaining is free. I do agree that high horses and chairs are, perhaps, self-parodying when that complaining is not accompanied by action.

The action responsibility of the common citizen is to complain and praise, and vote for and vote against.
The action responsibility of legislative change is upon the representative citizens.
If action is failed, then it is by no fault of the complaining or praising citizenship.

The responsibility of leadership, in times of turmoil, is to discern the root of civil unrest, address the issues therein found, and to do so responsibly with respect of the rights of liberty, earnings of trust, and value of humanity.
The responsibility of the common citizen, in times of turmoil, is to respond in conscience, thought, and emotion to the fullest of their individual capacity - whatever that may be.

Here we disagree, because you see action, real action, as being the responsibility of legislative actors. I, like the ideal protester, see it as a responsibility of any human being. This is an anarchist way of thinking, as opposed to your statist way of thinking. But I think we do agree on what action itself essencialy means.

I wasn’t aware that you had any access to the legislative office and knew how to readdress the United States Code in session.

Case in point.

Case in point to what?
If you are referring to a system of government simply existing at all, well that’s not going to change.

I’m just saying that you view government as a part of life, and I don’t. Whatever. We can still agree on the definitions of words, we just have different perspectives. I managed to get you on the defensive somehow, and I’m sorry. Listen, if you like government, fine. I don’t. Please respect that. I haven’t attacked you or your beliefs, I have just pointed out a difference between them and mine.

I view it as part of this life because it’s everywhere you look if you live in any society with a few million people or more.

I’m not talking waxing poetics or philosophies of what would be ideal.

I’m not being defensive, I’m stating confusion because I don’t see any practice function of bringing such a difference up when one of them is not currently a remote practice in reasonable expectation of this reality.

It bears about as much relevance to the current issues as if someone were to suggest that a god of some kind will sort things out.

You say potayto, I say potahto.

more like I say Henry Ford and you say Willy Wonka.

Good enough!

I’m going to ask what some may consider a silly question–(I don’t think it is, if it’s thought about.) Is it possible to take politics out of governance?

Yes. When you have small bands of people interdependent upon each other for livelihood and yet independent of other bands of people.
Isolated monastic monks are an easy example.

there is a town here in the US that requires every household to have a gun. Very little crime there.
Each state has its own constitution. Who here thinks that there are 50 states? well you would be wrong by definition. California, Alaska and Texas are republics they belong by treaty.
Etc etc, there are many things that are not taught anymore but you have access to information there at your finger tips, you can change things right now by using what is at your fingertips. we are the Government we can change things.

I don’t think she means take government out of politics, i.e. anarchist communes or isolated monastic monks. I think she means take politics out of government, i.e. take the ideology out of the administration of a territorry.

Interesting idea liz; would you expand for us (that is, if I am right)?

Ive already stated in this thread that I think this is the most important movement in US history since the Revolutionary War and that it will inevitably lead to large-scale social reform and the next stage in human evolution. People are ultimately limited by their environment in what they can accomplish at any given time. No individual is an island in society. So I don’t get where you think Im passing the buck.

And I don’t really do the same things others do at all otherwise we wouldn’t need this philosophy site. We are all outcasts to an extent. Im more likely to be found in some suburban hellhole bar drowning my sorrows in endless bottles of vodka and dry gin as day fades into endless night than I am to be at work.

I don’t trust the average chimp anymore than I need him to further my own ends. But I do need government to be destabilized more than it currently is and large groups of people desperate enough to be of use to me.

It’s a personally intuitive call but some trigger cues would include protests of a significant scale (preferably including episodes of violent coercion) or large scale voter removal of government officials (unlikely to happen imo).