Justice versus Revenge

What does justice have to do with revenge?

• Everything
  • Nothing
  • Neither everything nor nothing
  • Both everything and nothing
  • I’m confused
0 voters

What does justice have to do with revenge? Everything? Nothing?

Everything. Justice is the transference of revenge from private parties to the state. Or, justice prevents revenge.

from the mouth of God, aka wikipedia:

I think they’re pretty closely related. Neither of them is about effectively solving a problem, they’re both about punishment, one for a breach of ethics, the other in response to a grievance (which, I think, includes “a breach of ethics”).

Justice and Revenge are not the same.

Can justice be conceived of in the absence of the concept of revenge?

Justice is about bringing back Balance and Order too the best of ones abilities, Revenge is about enacting a punishment you believe will be equal too or greater than the injustice you believed you received.
It is a primitive predecessor too Justice.
Sometimes the actions used to bring about Justice or Revenge may or may not be the same, but the intent and outcome are very differant.

Absolutely. Social justice - a la Rawls, for example - does not aim to take revenge on the rich for being rich (Nietzschean bluster aside), it simply aims for a system of equal opportunities and human rights. Justice can address institutions and systems as well as actions.

Justice runs along very well described lines, where as revenge is for the most time random and uncontrolled.

That’s to say “justice prevents revenge”, as Faust did, isn’t it? In which case human rights are a kind of preemptive strike, to prevent future acts of revenge. So even with your example there is no concept of justice without there first being such a thing as revenge.

What do you think?