Clarifying Yogācāra "Idealism"

For the practicing Buddhist, as well as for anyone who seeks to understand Buddhist views, it is paramount that one always considers how to understand what has been taught - in what way is such and such teaching true?

Yogācāra is a school of Buddhism that teaches a certain view of reality as a basis for practice. According to most, if not all, of the current Buddhist schools which reference Yogācāra, this view of reality, though useful and advanced, is not ultimate - it is not “highest” view, but a useful tenet along a graduated path of understanding. Nonetheless, the Yogācāra school, which is also called the “mind only” school has been categorized and dismissed by many intellectuals as a form of idealism. According to Traleg Kyabgon Rinpoche, who is well qualified to help the educated modern student understand and put into context these ancient teachings, it is neither accurate nor helpful to characterize Yogācāra as idealism in the western sense. Here is an extract from a talk he gave on the Abhidharmasamuccaya in 1983. The portion quoted is from a question and answer session:

source (PDF)

In this race Wittgenstein and Kant may be level, if not overtaking. I too could inform Mr. Traleg Kyabgon Rinpoche.

What race are you referring to, JJ?

This is brilliant. It seems phenomenological, in direct opposition to the metaphysical. I wonder at the similarities between an Eastern phenomenology of this type and a Western philosophy like Husserl’s.

It’s definitely in opposition to metaphysical dabbling. I’ve wondered about Husserl, but I never got very far in trying to figure Husserl out.

I like that.

I think it might be rather productive to draw out the parallels and differences between the two approaches. Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about the phenomenological tradition.

Very true. Now you’ve got me thinking about studying Husserl a bit… :-k

The graduate school I’m hoping to attend next year specializes in a comparative approach between Eastern and Western philosophies. This might be something for me to keep in mind. Thanks!

Damn, perfect for you then! I’m jealous.