Who here is an alpha male?

I’m fairly amazed at the depth of this thread and the general interest on the subject as it is still going. Me, I don’t put much weight on the subject.

Testosterone…

That’s because you’re really alpha, bro. Only an alpha would post to let others know how little he cares.

… is a wonderful thing.

Thanks for the contribution, it’s not like you have to care. I’m wondering why you said this at all though - perhaps you think you’re above all this dominance stuff and that this says nothing about your dominance relative to others, I dunno.

BS, you either assert what you want, which is going to affect others whether you like it or not - sometimes requiring them to put what they want on hold, or divert what they want elsewhere - or you are one of the ones who has to put what they want on hold or divert it elsewhere.

If everyone was assertive, wishes wouldn’t all be miraculously compatible with one another. If nobody was, our species would just die out. Gobbo’s “meta” or your “authentic individual” is just another guy who has had to learn to withhold what they want around more domineering individuals, or “dick swinging alphas”. What’s so wrong with dick swinging? - are you too refined and deep to push harder to get what you want, even if it means asserting yourself to a significant extent? The two aren’t incompatible - the dick swinging can help act as a tool to turn more attention to your own depth and refinement… though often in practice it is just vulgar and shallow - I’ll grant you that.

I do see a semblance between what you quoted and genuine philosophers, that is of course the intention. I don’t know about Homer and Bacon, Plato would probably have been fairly alpha because of his social rank - being used to command and growing into it amongst others who had likewise grown into such a role. Nietzsche though? - he was a sickly weed, and though I regard him as the utmost genius, that’s simply not enough on its own to indicate alphaness. His social discretion was admirable, but I think his works will forever be reserved for the few - as was his intention, obviously because he was searching for others in his own image.

Okay, edit

In conversation this all holds up quite well, but take it outside. I’m not trying to say that dick-swinging isn’t necessary sometimes, but I don’t believe it’s in the best interest of our species for people to be cut-throat. I think it’s wise to consider that there are going to be occasions in life in which a person needs to push their own agenda, but there are also going to be times when it’s best to follow someone else’s lead, and that consistently acting on one of those extremes is probably unwise.

Na… I just look like I’m alpha, in my current pic lol. For fun. It was 80’s night, so I thought I’d post here. Anyways, its not about me telling everyone how little I care, my statement is looking for insight as to why others care so much about it :wink:

I assure you I am a lone wolf, neither following or leading, (or at least that’s what I’d like to think)

Exactly. As I said in my first post in this thread, only the former is an alpha.

Hey, didn’t catch you fast enough. I did an edit, check it out. I posted that bit, got up to get something to drink, and realized that wasn’t what I wanted to say :laughing:

Nietzsche probably suffered from a brain tumor or, if you prefer the popular tale, from syphilis. That he was able to write what he wrote attests to his strength. Anyway, you still seem to think that an alpha male must move the masses directly. This is not the case. The masses always need “shepherds”, i.e., men who direct the “herd”. And if such “shepherds” of “sheep” are alpha males, then “shepherds” of “shepherds” must be, like, alpha alpha males:

[size=95]Order of rank: He who determines values and directs the will of millennia by giving direction to the highest natures is the highest man.
[Nietzsche, The Will to Power, section 999, entire.][/size]
Compare the “devisers of new values” we discussed earlier in this thread. All the great philosophers are or were such “shepherds” of “shepherds”.

I think one thing we can agree in defining an alpha is that everyone wants to be, thinks they already are, or wants others to think they are one.

one of the highest and most flattering things you can say about a man.

I thought others gave perspectives on Alphas (myself included) that was just the opposite. However an Alpha would think everyone wants to be him, thinks they are an Alpha and wants others to know it. Right?

I’m an epsilon.

lulwat

All I was saying is that the term has very positive connotations. Nobody wants to be considered a non-alpha, at least not really. Are you mad I called you out for trying hard to seem aloof?

From what I see, the only concrete attribute that an alpha has is leadership, whereby to lead means exerting a significant degree of influence on a group, providing direction, etc. Everything else can be, I think, categorized as accidental means of achieving the aforementioned goal. What it takes to lead a group (specific characteristics) depends on the group. Values of groups vary.

It has very negative connotations also. I don’t want to be considered an alpha male, thats not who I am nor do I want to be. I know many others in this thread would say the same.

Now of course I’m not mad at you, why would you think that? I do understand however that you misunderstood my own post, as I already pointed out my goal of why it was posted. But sure I was a little ambiguous about my intent, but that doesn’t mean it must make me aloof. What good is being aloof anyways?

By nature yes, because we’ve evolved to want that. After all, an alpha has the best reproductive opportunities.

Not true. I don’t want to be an Alpha in the general sense.

While sometimes having more freedoms, the Alpha is actually the least free of all the categories presented. They are a slave to perception of others - after all that is something they must excel at.

Also, I want to point out that I didn’t (mean to) say that Metas are more ‘authentic’.

all this talk about the alpha male…

personally I prefer the Omega male. Have you all forgotten about him?

He’s the one to shoot for…

[-X

Whatever floats your boat

Yes, they do. :laughing: