Philosophy links

The Logic Cafe: Learn logic.

Fallacy Files: The taxonomy of fallacies.

A sticky thread is a good idea, I’ll add to it later. I won’t lock it yet.

An alternative idea is that we (I) keep a digest of links stuck at the top of the board, and add to them. Might cut down on chatter and save space on what would probably be a rapidly-growing thread.

I’ll add some of mine when I have more time and access to my main computer.

earlymoderntexts.com/

Here are versions of some classics of early modern philosophy, and a few from the 19th century, prepared with a view to making them easier to read while leaving intact the main arguments, doctrines, and lines of thought.

History of Modern Philosophy

Really nice blog. From Descartes to Derrida, and further reading list.

An online book of critical thinking activities and exercises for philosophy students, answer keys and commentaries provided:

essentialthinking.wordpress.com

Promoting your own work [-X but nonetheless, it looks alright!

I don’t know if anyone else managed to attend this year’s HowTheLightGetsIn festival in Hay last week, but if you’re not familiar with it it’s a fantastic philosophy and music festival with lots of interesting talks and debates. Videos of about 150 of the events are being uploaded at the moment to:

iai.tv/

Some interesting material already online featuring the likes of Peter Hacker, Vince Cable and Simon Armitage. The site’s new but it should be an interesting resource with lots of high quality content.

Emily

philosophybites.com/

• relaxing british accents…

Checked out the free lecture sight. Will definately have to go deeper into it.

Humean: would add my “Here! Here!” to the proposal. It sounds like an excellent idea. Not only would it make a good resource; but our having a common resource as a group, I think, would better facilitate discourse by giving us a common reference. I would think our coming from a lot of different philosophical paths would think tend to stand in the way clear communication. And yes, I would lock it down. We all know there are certain “wild elements” on here that have the propensity toward unintentional sabotage and re-direction.

WWW3: While not a proponent of the analytic tradition, I certainly enjoy a british accent as well. Will have to check out the sight.

Having limited time for these kinds of things, much less for searching the internet for resources. I tend to depend a lot on quick shots of ideals, and it would be really useful to me. But once again, I am serious when I say it needs to be closely moderated. In order for it to serve the purpose of focusing our common references, you can’t allow it to be packed with every link everyone happens to find or gratutitous rants by some drunk. Nor can it be filled with people’s comments on the link. This can always be done on threads they start themselves. It will require diligent editorial judgement.

That said, I once came upon a really good interveiw page on Gilles Deluez. I’ll see if I can’t hunt it down again.

I post free audio-books, ebooks, and video’s on the internet archive. In the realm of audio books, I have a project of audiobooks doing the various translations of Plato.
And since, as Plato rightly demanded, one cannot understand Philosophy without a correct understanding of names learned through the exercises in the exact sciences, geometry being one of his favorites, I have done original work in geometry, also, posting not only on the archive, but on YouTube.

archive.org/search.php?query … publicdate

If anyone is looking for an article, PM me. Chances are I can get it for free.

http://www.gutenberg.org/

Lots of free books from the public domain to read online in a variety of formats.

Hi I have a request but I can’t see how to PM you ](*,)

Under their username there should be a button with “PM” on, although it may be disabled until you’ve had five posts approved. An anti-spam measure, if so, I’m afraid.

You can also reach me at anon7331@gmail.com for article requests.

OK have emailed, thanks :slight_smile:

The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, which has excellent introductions and overviews of many topics, written by experts in their fields.
http://plato.stanford.edu/

Official Facebook Fan Page of the University of the Philippines Philosophical Society: facebook.com/pages/UP-Philos … 5794207584

Hi!

here is a link to The Institute of Art and Ideas. They have an incredible amount of cutting-edge philosophical debates and talks videos on their websites. I highly recommend it to you guys!

iai.tv/

Enjoy!

Emily.

Here’s the free lectures on philosophy by Yale University Open Yale Courses.

Death with Professor Shelly Kagan.

oyc.yale.edu/philosophy/death