Adages & Proverbs

Watch the chatter in this thread please.
If we get inspired to discussion from this thread, please create a thread to carry out that discussion; this thread is aimed at just housing adages and proverbs without discussion of them in the thread.

Thank you.

Everyone has a plan. Until they get hit. - Mike Tyson

Decide that you want it more than you’re afraid of it. - Bill Cosby

I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it’s the right one. - Les Paul

Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time. - Stephen Wright

In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true. - Buddha

Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. - Mark Twain

Human beings must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it. - Albert Einstein

A mind is like a diaper. It needs changed often, and for the same reason.–Woody Allen

[size=150]It is better to eat meat and drink wine than to eat the flesh of one’s brethren through slander.
Abba Hyperechius[/size]

[size=150]A man may seem to be silent, but if his heart is condemning others, he is babbling ceaselessly. But there may be another who talks from morning till night and yet he is truly silent, that is, he says nothing that is not profitable.
Abba Pimen[/size]

[size=150]‘If a man wants God to hear his prayer quickly, then before he prays for anything else, even his own soul, when he stands and stretches out his hands towards God, he must pray with all his heart for his enemies. Through this action God will hear everything that he asks.’
Abbot Zeno [/size]

[size=150]If our bat is flying in our belfry and not our seagull, best, still, to let it fly. [/size]
[size=150]arcturus rising[/size]

[b][size=150]If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If I am not for others, who am I for? And if not now, when?

• Talmud [/size][/b]

[size=150]Every blade of grass has its angel that bends over it and whispers, grow, grow.
The Talmud [/size]
:cry:

[size=150]He that gives should not remember, he that receives should never forget.
The Talmud[/size]

[size=150]We are that which is sensitive to initial conditions.
Tab[/size]

[size=150]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are. :angelic-whiteflying:
The Talmud[/size]

Epigram from the French

Sir, I admit to your general rule
That every poet is a fool:
But you yourself may serve to show it,
That every fool is not a poet.

Alexander Pope (1688-1744)

As he lay dying, Sam Clemens was asked if he had made his peace with God. Clemens responded, “I didn’t know we were having an argument.”

If you understand then things are as they are, if you do not understand then things are as they are…
Zen Proverb

Don’t mess with Mrs Murphy…
Another one of Murphy’s laws

No man can make a building worthy of a God
I think it was a Celtic/Druid saying, but I might be making that up 8-[

Woops, bad typing day, got my name wrong registering too - should have just stopped at that point I think #-o

Last word should have read, “are”.
It was a typo.

[size=150]
Getting out of bed is not an accomplishment.
Taking a shit is not an accomplishment.
Place of birth is not an accomplishment.
Genetic inheritance is not an accomplishment.
[/size]

[size=150]“The greatest accomplishment that any one human can achieve is to simply wake up in the morning. Everything else is extraordinary.”
-Me[/size]

:wink: Bluff

[size=150]
haha…maybe you are sick if you find it an accomplishment to swing your legs from beneath a blanket!
Get well soon.
[/size]

:wink:

[size=200]It is not what you are called, but what you answer to.

Do not look where you fell, but where you slipped.[/size]

[size=200]No matter how full the river, it still wants to grow. [/size]

[size=200]The sun will shine on those who stand before it shines on those who kneel under them.[/size]

[size=200] When the child falls the mother weeps; when the mother falls the child laughs.[/size] :laughing:

[size=150]African Proverbs[/size]