Adages & Proverbs

Listen to the Exhortation of the Dawn!
Look to this Day!
For it is Life, the very Life of Life.
In its brief course lie all the
Verities and Realities of your Existence.
The Bliss of Growth,
The Glory of Action,
The Splendor of Beauty;
For Yesterday is but a Dream,
And To-morrow is only a Vision;
But To-day well lived makes
Every Yesterday a Dream of Happiness,
And every Tomorrow a Vision of Hope.
Look well therefore to this Day!
Such is the Salutation of the Dawn!

Kalidasa
:smiley: :banana-dance:

All of man’s misfortune comes from one thing, which is not knowing how to sit quietly in a room. Blaise Pascal

Let’s not let this go into a debate here.
If it strikes you for conversation, let’s open a new thread.
This thread is simply for the adages and proverbs themselves.

[size=150]“Life is the art of drawing without an eraser”. [/size]

John W. Gardner

[size=200]"Yes it is. [/size][size=150](long pause) [/size][size=200]It is a good day to die"[/size]

Anon 2006 - in resposne to my greeting of “hello, its a beautiful day outside”

“Truth is always free, it’s the lies we pay for.”–TPT

“I would rather be a voice crying in the wilderness for Truth, than to lead billions with a lie.”–TPT

“The Truth is clever. The minute we create an idol for it, it becomes a lie.” --TPT

“Careless seems the great Avenger; history’s pages but record
One death-grapple in the darkness 'twixt old systems and the Word;
Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,
Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.”
–James Russell Lowell, The Present Crisis

The most profound thing I’ve ever read:
“It is only in the CREATION that all our ideas and conceptions of a Word of God can unite. The Creation speaketh an universal language… It is an ever-existing original, which every man can read. It cannot be forged; it cannot be counterfeited; it cannot be lost; it cannot be altered; it cannot be suppressed. It does not depend upon the will of man whether it shall be published or not; it publishes itself from one end of the earth to the other. It preaches to all nations and to all worlds; and this Word of God reveals to man all that is necessary for man to know of God.”
—Thomas Paine

Feel like Christ and you will be a Christ;feel like Buddha and you will be a Buddha.It is feeling that is the life,the strength,the vitality,without which no amount of intellactual activity can reach God.

" the truth! what is the truth ?" -Dostoevsky–The brothers Karamazov

" The only way you can pass the test is by not taking the test" -Franz Kafka

“frankly my dear I don’t give a damn” -gone with the wind.

" come and get me " -James Cagney

“The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.”-- Winston Churchill

“The love of truth has its reward in heaven and even on earth.”-- Friedrich Nietzsche

“The object of the superior man is truth.”-- Confucius

…how alien, alas, are the streets of the city of grief.
Rainier Maria Rilke “The Tenth Elegy”

Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
Latin proverb

“If I had but only lived a little more, I would have died a little less.”

“A rolling stone gathers no moss but much blood.”

“I know that I know naught, thus I strive to learn how much I do not know.”

“A dim’s as fine as a nick to a dead man.”

"Driven by the forces of love, the fragments of the world seek each other so that the world may come to being”

"The universe as we know it is a joint product of the observer and the observed”

"We are one, after all, you and I, together we suffer, together exist and forever will recreate each other.”

“Someday, after mastering the winds, the waves, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love, and then, for a second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.”
— Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

I don’t know who wrote that…but sometimes when we’ve allowed ourselves to live a little more, to really live in all of the meaningful ways there is to, we are also open to dying a little more or a lot more. The more the pleasure, the more the pain; the more the love, the more the heartache; the more the joy, the more the abyss. But I also get it that way, too.

It’s the dying words of a villain in one of Thomas Pyle’s Robin Hood books. Can’t remember which one at the moment. But yeah. It falls along the lines of another quote, too:

“I wanna be, consequence free, as if nothing really matters” -Great Big Sea

Oh, and keeping with the no-discussion theme of this thread, more quotes and contributions to the food for thought program, to make up for the aside:

“I don’t care, I’m still here” -Langston Hughs (Still Here)

“Only the good die young” -Billy Joel

“A coward dies a thousand deaths, the brave dies but one.” -Shakespeare/Ceaser

“You live and learn…at any rate, you live” -Douglas Adams

“To be able to look back on one’s life in satisfaction, is to live twice” -Kahlil Gibran

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -Gandhi

“Pay no attention to the faults of others,
things done or left undone by others.
Consider only what by oneself is done or left undone.”
Buddha

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle,
and the life of the candle will not be shortened.
Happiness never decreases by being shared.
Buddha

One of his students asked Buddha, “Are you the messiah?”
“No”, answered Buddha.
“Then are you a healer?”
“No”, Buddha replied.
“Then are you a teacher?” the student persisted.
“No, I am not a teacher.”
“Then what are you?” asked the student, exasperated.
“I am awake”, Buddha replied.

The below are by Albert Schweitzer

"In everyone’s life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.”

"Never say there is nothing beautiful in the world anymore. There is always something to make you wonder in the shape of a tree, the trembling of a leaf.”

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.”
(I can attest to this)

"We are all so much together, but we are all dying of loneliness”

"A man is truly ethical only when he obeys the compulsion to help all life which he is able to assist, and shrinks from injuring anything that lives.”

"Humanitarianism consists in never sacrificing a human being to a purpose”

"I can do no other than be reverent before everything that is called life. I can do no other than to have compassion for all that is called life. That is the beginning and the foundation of all ethics.”

and last but certainly not least…

"Man is a clever animal who behaves like an imbecile.”

When I was a child–one Sunday God and I skipped church and went for a dip in the crawdad hole.–Ierrellus

When we were little, I and my brothers and our friends used to love going down to Five Mile Creek to catch crawdads. I never thought of it as church, but it was fun. Imagine – church fun. That’s a concept that never really occurred to me before, but I don’t see why God wouldn’t be one for fun sometimes.

Church? Read Emily Dickenson.

I love Dickinson’s poems. I have a very fluid and open idea of church these days. Sacred moments can occur anywhere. Besides, I have always loved the idea of the world as an open cathedral. It really came home to me at the end of a Tarkovsky movie, Nostalghia (I think).

Watch the chatter in this thread please.
If we get inspired to discussion from this thread, please create a thread to carry out that discussion; this thread is aimed at just housing adages and proverbs without discussion of them in the thread.

Thank you.

Everyone has a plan. Until they get hit. - Mike Tyson

Decide that you want it more than you’re afraid of it. - Bill Cosby

I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it’s the right one. - Les Paul

Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time. - Stephen Wright

In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true. - Buddha

Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. - Mark Twain

Human beings must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it. - Albert Einstein