Rap vs. Rock

Rock rocks.

by jolly I think I’ve got it now. rhyme on, friends.

Booyeah. Now I’m all tuned up for the Rap Battle. Kickin.

Pav, my friend’s band is a rap/classic rock/punk fusion sound, they’re pretty good. They’ve got punk drums and tempos, classic rock guitar, and rap vocals. They’re just starting out, I think they just play house parties and such, but they’ve got potential.

Awesome! Let me know if they put anything on-line and I’ll have a listen.

Nice finish, Pav. I think this debate was a success!

Thanks, Carleas, and an awesome job to you throughout!

I believe that this Debate was a success, it was certainly fun for the both of us!!!

I kind of added those last two paragraphs at the end as an afterthought. I was about to submit the post and then I thought, “Damn, my rap could eb misconstrued as ad hom all over the place.” I knew that you would know better, but would the judges?

Anyway, best of luck to you in the voting! I think it’ll be a split, you?

I thought split before, but with Wonderer’s ‘tie’ verdict, there might be an outright winner.

Oughtist’s judging method sounds intriguing. . .

Sorry i made it a tie, but judging the end was simply impossible, and i know i probably left out tons of things. weighing poetry against poetry is a hard thing to do.

I really liked the third round. Carleas impressed me but then Pavlovian impressed me more with the potency i like and a respectable volume.

I didn’t plan on making it a tie, but at the end it seemed right.

In any case great job to both poets.

Wonderer,

Thank you very much!

Carleas,

That does make it interesting! Although, if the next judge that posts votes for me and the following Judge decides it is to close to call…

Wonderer, I can relate. After writing each round, I thought to myself “Boy, that’s great! There’s no way he’ll ever top this!” And each round I ate a little bit of humble pie after Pav’s response.

Pav, I thought Xunzian was on to something when he referred to the ‘inevitable tie’. It may yet come down to the voice of the many.

To the first paragraph:

LMAO

I know exactly how you feel. I remember reading your first post (after I had posted my first post as we had a blind rule regarding the first posts) and thinking, “Damn, let’s see him follow that!”

And then your haikus kicked ass all over the place, the haikus were really hard and I found yours very impressive, mine were not so good.

I knew I had to do something big with my final post, I was all but D.O.A. going into it after your awesome freestyle rap!

To the second paragraph:

Yeah, speaking of which, I did not vote on that, but I viewed the results so far, are you the one who voted for me? I plan to reciprocate (by voting for you) if it comes down to the popular vote, if not, then I am going to vote, “Classic Rock.”

Haha, you give me too much credit. I haven’t voted yet, so you should mark your ballot for classic rock, unless you found my arguments in favor of rap compelling.

In a way, I find that rap is capable of becoming the better of the two after your arguments, but I do not believe that it is currently the better of the two.

Give it another ten or twenty years and the number of stations (if terrestrial radio still exists) playing classic rock might be rivaled by those playing classic rap.

Pav, just wait until I unleash my lyrical stylings on Impious, I think you’ll enjoy it.

Oughtist, what? I . . . what?

I’m not sure, Carleas.

I’m only half-sure that Oughtist voted me as winner!

I’ll be following this thing with you and Imp very closely, if I knew anything about rap, I’d have volunteered to judge.

Yes indeed, Pav, you technically won my official count. But remember you are only a winner, not the winner. And insofar as there were only two of you, that must imply that Carleas is a winner, too. Congratulations!! I hope to expand somewhat on this soonishly, but continue to continue to go on and on eking out my daily existence with direly low levels of intelligence and vitamin D at the moment. We just had another snowfall here. Winter will not leave. My brain is a shrivelled bulb waiting for the nourishing waters of spring…

Interesting.

Winter is the only time I get any real writing done.

Oughtist, I’m particularly interested in the distinction between the two kinds of the’s/a’s. Or is that “a distinction between a two kinds of a’s/the’s”? I don’t know. Also, Why?

Pav, I posted my rap, take a gander :smiley:

Already have done!

When I go, “View New Posts,” I go from bottom to top.

Anyway, your lyrics were strong and your rhyme scheme was excellent. You did a very good job in staying with the beat of the music.

Perhaps you should deepen your voice a little, though, when you rap. Even though the rapping itself was very good, you could tell it was a Caucasian Non-Hispanic individual rapping.

Debatable Thes didn’t include, for instance, “the sounds”, or “the many rhymes”, i.e. determinant indicators of a plurality; but included “the shortness springs” or “the old”, where it might be argued that there is more than one of such types. In that vein, it may be debatable whether, for instance, “the times” is debatable. A debatable A would be “a bridge”; a non-debatable A would be “a bit hard” (though that’s, perhaps, debatable). It’s good to have debatable As because it highlights how an a can do a the’s job; it’s bad to have debatable Thes because there are far too many of them in our language already.

Why?

Well, I hope to develop a meaningful answer to that question (independent of how it created a real easy means of judging for me… I’m a terrible, terrible ditherer 8-[ ). But here’s a basic overview:
http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=167628

Part of my manner of judgement, then, was to create a nonspecific result (whereas a tie would be a specific result).

Again, though, it’s been a long winter and my capacity is admittedly diminished… :confused: