bible

book of mormon

Hello F(r)iends,

http://www.tektonics.org/
An apologetics site…

-Thirst

confucius.org/lunyu/lange.htm

Confucian sayings – in enlish, here^.

If we’re gonna be on a Confucius-binge, may as well throw in a few texts.
The following are the Four Books, which became orthodoxy in the Song Dynasty under the influence of Zhu Xi and the Daoxue school. This orthodoxy persisted until the end of the Empire. I’ve got my issues with them . . . but it is still important to know.

First, read the “Great Learning”. It serves as a sort of primer for all later writings.

1. Next, read the Analects. It is linked above. Now that you have a lens through which to view Confucius, the subtle meanings of the Analects may become far more clear.

2. Read the Mencius (linked above). This adds the necessary level of compassion to Confucian philosophy that many found lacking in the Analects. Additionally, the Emperor as Father starts here. Ren (benevolence) is stressed above all else.

3. Read the Doctrine of the Mean. In the words of Run DMC, you better check yoursef before you wreck yoursef:
    chinapage.com/confucius/zhongyong/mean.html

The base page (chinapage.com/confucius) also has the Five Classics in Chinese if you really want them. There is also Legge’s translation of the Shijing, the Classic of Poetry listed in my previous post.

Extra Credit:

A few texts from the Xunzi. Xunzi stresses ritual (li) more than benevolence. Chronologically, he comes after Mencius. In many ways, he is a response to the Zhuangzi in the same way Mencius is a response to Mo Zi. If you like these, check out Knoblock at your local University Library. The man is a freakin’ genius.
iep.utm.edu/x/xunzi.htm
academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/core9 … n-tse.html

Here are a few articles (ranging in quality) on the Mozi. Mohists were a paramilitary philosophy that existed during the Warring States Period. Chronologically, much of the Mozi was written between the Analects and the Mencius. It is strongly critical of Confucians and the Mencius tried to respond to many of the criticisms found within:
A quick and dirty, dirty, dirty primer: angelfire.com/md2/timewarp/mozi.html
A happy little article: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozi
A comparison of Mohists and the Ru:
iun.edu/~hisdcl/h425/mozi.htm
And the text itself (incomplete translation):
cic.sfu.ca/nacc/articles/leg … momei.html

I’ll let the Daoists provide links for the Zhuangzi. However, Xun Zi relies heavily on the metaphysics present in that text. Particularly ‘On Heaven’

Here is a bit on Hanfei Zi. He was a pupil of Xun Zi . . . but think Anakin Skywalker, Obi-wan Kenobi. Machiavelli would think this guy takes pragmatism a little too far. It gives you an idea as to what Confucians AREN’T:
chinaknowledge.de/Literature … feizi.html

And for a few more modern often ‘Boston’ Confucians:
Van Norden’s work:
The Dao of Kongzi: faculty.vassar.edu/brvannor/DaoofKongzi.pdf

Tu Weiming, THE modern Confucian:
Tu on Ren: class.uidaho.edu/ngier/308/ren.htm
His webpage: tuweiming.org/

If anyone can find English translations of Lu Xun, they would definately be a nice addition. Man, did he hate Confucians.

NOW you are an expert.

I’ve written a book about my own personal experiences, called The Advent of Dionysus, which attempts to bridge some of the differences between Christianity and Greek Mythology, which I’ve published online.

I’ve put together a site that may be of interest to some: philosophyofreligion.info/

Here is a great Christian Classics Ethereal Library! It has MOST of the Christian Classics including Church fathers all the way back to the apostolic Church fathers (disciples of the apostles) and practical theology books of the past 2000 years. It excludes C.S. Lewis books because they are still under copyright with Oxford University Press.

ccel.org

golden-dawn.org/index.html
^ We got a live one here, the Golden Dawn [lots of magick, not too many memberz]

theosociety.org/
^ Theosophy. Sounds smarter then stupid.

Michael Crichton’s speeches:

crichton-official.com/speeches/index.html

He’s got some GREAT insightful material about the religion of environmentalism.

religiousmovements.lib.virginia. … ritsm.html
a bit about spiritualism^

The true god,

http://www.venganza.org/

may you be blessed by his appendages.

Global Buddhism is a new project trying to find the Middle Path between academic Buddhology, Eastern Buddhist Traditions, and popular Buddhism as developed in the West.

globalbuddhism.org

A Russian Buddhism forum can be found at dharma.org.ru

miguelruiz.com/

teachings of the wise toltecs.

the-brights.net/

atheist movement.

buddhanet.net/e-learning/basic-guide.htm

Here is a link to a site that publishes a book that covers Bible doctrine from a point of view that is different from most mainstream churches. It explains how to prove if the Bible is true, what prophecy foretells for the United States in the years ahead, what the true gospel is, why the gospel needs to be preached to the public, and suggestions for preaching the gospel effectively. The book is free, can be read online or downloaded in .pdf format, and is in the public domain so you can copy it, quote from it, even republish it if you wish, and the author doesn’t mind if you don’t attribute the source. I know he doesn’t mind because I am the author.

[size=150]http://www.ptgbook.org[/size]

The name of the book is Preaching the Gospel.

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com ← full, or as complete as we have. Writings from very early Christians, some of which didn’t make it into the Bible. Some fascinating reading here.

http://humaniststudies.org ← A more concentrated study and exploration of secular humanism. Good for those wanting to know more.

Some religions I’ve not yet seen links for:

Zoroastrianism
zoroastrianism.com
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoroastrianism
avesta.org

Shinto
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinto
sacred-texts.com/shi/index.htm
japan-guide.com/e/e2056.html

Baha’i
bahai.org
bahai.com