Does anyone feel different?

I wouldn’t even say that though. In my depserite attempts to categorize and make sense of personalities I always try lumping people together but it never works. I could say all right wing people are assholes but when I’m thinking that I tend to find rational ones even convincing ones that ruin the image.

It’s hard to find people who are exact the same, but we all share some or more characteristics.

Correct. Because if the ‘norm’ doesn’t exist, how can you think like that?

Why only the average? Lower and higher intelligence causes also similarities in personality.

God that hiq list fits me!, and Crusader i’m an istp on Myers-Briggs (from a book).

Okay, I took the personality test 3 times and got the same result (with various percentage changes of course)- INTJ

When I read the description of an INTJ, not all of it resonanted with me. In fact, some parts of the description seem to be the exact opposite of myself. This is especially true of the Risk Profiler- in no way did I identify with my primary “ponderous” description. I found myself to be shocked by the assertion that I “like thrillers and enjoy watching sports more than discussing abstract topics.” I could go on, but those two really jumped out at me as being the exact oppoosite of who I am. I did find the majority of the “rationalist” category to be befitting however. I was going to read all of the other categories, but quickly found myself identifying very well with “Moralist”.

Perhaps I am taking the test incorrectly, but I am not too convinced with its accuracy (at least this specific test’s).

Or perhaps you’re not reading between the lines.

Do you enjoy action movies? Were you a fan of cartoons like G.I. Joe and Transformers as a kid? If you were a fan, why? Because of the events, or because of the coolness?

Your personality profile is event-oriented.

There’s many things that the MBTI does not tell you about yourself. Historically, though, INTJ’s are very much engrossed with “events” that take place. They are historians and military strategists, historically.

They don’t take things at face value, like an ISTJ would (this category has trouble with things like interpretive art or poetry…i.e. a dog barking is a dog barking, not a metaphor for trouble), but they do like to judge things with the intent of finding how the face-value and the ideal-value relate. These people (as well as ISTJs) have issues with things like…sarcastic humor.

You do make a good philosopher, though. You have the ability to rationalize a situation, but not to it’s lowest common denominator. You are good at keeping perspective, at seeing the greater picture. This trait is shared by most IN##'s for some reason.

When they say you like action movies and thrillers, I think they mean more to say that you’re excited by events, because it means you get to look over them and see the big picture.

Just by the fact that you doubt the reliability of the test results speaks volumes, by the way. Why? Because they don’t obviously fit you 100% (perfectionist ideals coughs). ##FP’s would shrug this off, and try and make it fit, to see what it means, ##TJ’s would begin to doubt the test.

And yes, I consider myself a reliable source on this subject. I happen to have been raised by two experts on the matter, and they like to impart a great deal of information on their trade to their children. (read: Force Fed).

There are quite a few other MBTI personality tests online, just go to google and type in Myers Briggs and you’ll see heaps of results, including a really simple one at http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/tt/t-articl/mb-simpl.htm

Here is a quote from the site above -
"As with all personality questionnaires, the results of any of these can be ‘wrong’ (all questionnaires recognised by the psychological establishments have reliability and validity research which shows, how ‘wrong’, on average, they can be!). The questionnaire can provide valuable information, but the real value of the Myers Briggs model of personality is in deciding your type for yourself.

This article contains a description of each of the preferences, which you can use to help work out your Myers Briggs type."

Basically you work it out for yourself from the lists and descriptions and stuff. Notice how I said “fun” in my original post? You don’t need to take it too seriously.

Hello everyone, I’m new here and I hope I’m doing this posting and replying thing right :confused:
Regarding the topic, I completely agree on how different and alone you may feel sometimes.
heck, I’m in such a bad mood coz I just got dumped for being too ‘shallow, empty and phoney’ all because I’m a little DIFFERENT ! so I know how messy it could get and be.
hope my second post will be more cheerful :laughing:

Jesus man, I feel for ya there. I can tell, if you’re browsing this forum, chances are you’re not shallow or empty. Phoney maybe, but probably not. Being dumped sucks, but it’s part of life. She probably wasn’t good enough for you anyway. Can you tell blue skies from pain?

HE probably wasn’t good. (i.e. I’m a girl) or just…different (back to square one)
can you tell a green field, from a cold steel rail ?~

grins Sorry… fyi, I’m a proud chauvanist.

A smile from a veil? Do you think you can tell?

Did they get you to trade, your heros for ghosts, hot ashes for trees, hot air for a cool breeze, cold comfort for change? Did you exchange a walk on part in a war, for a lead role in a cage?

It’s either ironic you picked that song or what, because it’s about seeing the good in what you have now, it’s positive (at least to me). He was a he, so he has to be a jerk when he breaks up with you. It’s manly pride. Friggin ignore it, hon… and one squared is still one, so no matter what, you’re always at square one.

How I wish, how I wish you were here. We’re just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl year after year. running over the same old ground, what have we found? the same old fears. wish you were here. listening to it now…
Pink Floyd is like a philosophy book to me, the lyrics are so deep.
how you interpret them depends on how you feel.
my fish bowl is closing in on me right now :confused:
but, generally speaking, I am pretty optimistic :smiley:
thanks for the manly pride tip.

What is this…a friggin sing-a-long? Undisclosed, here’s the deal. 75% of the members here are chronically depressed. Always bitchin about this or that, pouting about loss of meaning, absence of value, yada yada. I bring a box of tissues with me every time I come here, prepared for some heart wrenching story and testimony.

…and now I find you in mourning singing some sad song. Please, dear, this is a minor problem. How would you like to know that the entire universe is going to be sucked into a black-hole and crushed to a point of infinite density? And you are worried about your ex-boyfriend? Tell him we’ve got bigger problems, and that you have no time for these trivial matters.

Now, stand up straight…take a deep breath…and repeat after me:

"I, [insert name], am not shallow. I am deeper than a million oceans. I am not phoney. I am, in fact, quite possibly the only thing that I can be certain is NOT phoney(Descartes will back me up). I am not empty. I am full of [insert theme] and overflowing with [insert theme].

But I will admit one thing, Mr. [insert last name of ex-boyfriend], you got one part right. I am different, and certainly not like you. It’s about time we broke up, [wink at him]."

erm, just to clearify a few points:

• I’m doing allright actually
  • I’m new so thanks for the summery abt this place !
  • I simply got carried away by a song I liked :stuck_out_tongue:
  • I think I’m gonna stick around here !
    thanks de’trop

De’trop’s just upset because the person scheduled to shit in his cornflakes didn’t show up this morning so he had to do it himself. GRINS

That is correct. My association with the contemporary bourgeois ambivalence of modern society usually begins the moment I walk out of my door in the morning. I would not know what to do if I wasn’t immediately struck with the insipidness of the average philistine whom I suspect an encounter with first thing in the morning.

People piss me off like clockwork. I’m useless without some sort of conflict at hand.

glad to stirr you into action then :laughing:

wonderful i’m glad that the boards are continually changing the context of threads to talk about something completely different by the third page or so. isn’t this supposed to be about how we feel different…not “look at me yell the loudest! Deal with me! or Look at me being a jackass!” For Chrissakes numbnuts take your goddamn rants somewhere else!

now back to the topic…
…do “I” feel different…yes.

man never mind…go back to your rants…this topic was dumb to begin with…no wonder you guys like to spruce things up a bit with your bitching. so i’ll end with saying:
“Keep it up! You’re doing a killer job.!” :smiley:

I thought the last posts were quite on topic :slight_smile: . The level of communication could be not well understood by ‘normal’ people. But I thought it was quite entertaining :wink:.

I think we all feel we’re different from others because we are all born unique in our own ways and we go through a combination of experiences that is in itself unique as well. So, I’d say that if we didn’t feel different from others THEN, we’d be different, but not otherwise. So let’s say we’re all normal IF we feel different from others.

The majority doesn’t feel different from others. Otherwise feeling different was quite normal.