Unwarn me, I was falsely warned for no reason.

A forum about the forums

Moderator: Carleas

Unwarn me, I was falsely warned for no reason.

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:54 pm

I was warned for this post and the accused it of being offtopic.
viewtopic.php?f=3&p=2683010#p2683010

The post WAS NOT off-topic the post was arguing that it is impossible to decide if competitiveness in schools was natural or unnatural.
My post was directly on topic and a response to this post.

Unwarn me plase.
trogdor
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED
 
Posts: 8312
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: Unwarn me, I was falsely warned for no reason.

Postby Carleas » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:12 pm

Definitely off topic.

Also, any thread that you feel is best delivered in all caps should be created in the Rant House.
User Control Panel > Board preference > Edit display options > Display signatures: No.
Carleas
Magister Ludi
 
Posts: 5413
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:10 pm
Location: Washington DC, USA

Re: Unwarn me, I was falsely warned for no reason.

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:08 pm

Carleas wrote:Definitely off topic.

Also, any thread that you feel is best delivered in all caps should be created in the Rant House.


This is a philosophy boards, Content matters most not the STYLE of words. If I give you the meaning of life but put it in CAPS it shouldnt matter.


And for the love of Jebus please Reread it again and see that it was on-topic, I think you didn't read it thoroughly.
trogdor
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED
 
Posts: 8312
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: Unwarn me, I was falsely warned for no reason.

Postby iambiguous » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:16 pm

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:
Carleas wrote:Definitely off topic.

Also, any thread that you feel is best delivered in all caps should be created in the Rant House.


This is a philosophy boards, Content matters most not the STYLE of words. If I give you the meaning of life but put it in CAPS it shouldnt matter.


And for the love of Jebus please Reread it again and see that it was on-topic, I think you didn't read it thoroughly.


From my own perspective, whether it was off topic or not pales next to that which differentiates it from all of the other posts on the thread: it's Kidstuff.

It's the equivalent of visiting a thread and taking a dump in it.

Now, admittedly, I have no actual "definition" of Kidstuff. It is clearly an "existential contraption". A post either reeks of it or it does not.

Fortunately, here and now, there are not nearly as many Kids polluting the threads as there were before. And that's good news. Why? Because the less Kids around the more likely that folks interested in actually discussing philosophy will stick around.

You know, whatever that means.

Let's just say that "in my head" I know it.
Last edited by iambiguous on Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 22327
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: Unwarn me, I was falsely warned for no reason.

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:18 pm

Right, so if I show evidence disproving a theory, and my evidence is from a kids show, it is automatically kids stuff and to be ignored, even though it disproves a theory.

Isn't that a logical fallacy?
trogdor
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED
 
Posts: 8312
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: Unwarn me, I was falsely warned for no reason.

Postby iambiguous » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:35 pm

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:Right, so if I show evidence disproving a theory, and my evidence is from a kids show, it is automatically kids stuff and to be ignored, even though it disproves a theory.

Isn't that a logical fallacy?


My Little Pony isn't the point here. And if you don't grasp the reason why, it's not likely I will ever make it all that more comprehendible.

Try this:

1] read the OP.
2] read the posts from others reacting to it.
3] read your post.

There's just "big difference" here that [subjectively] some will grasp and some will not.

Logic may or may not have anything to do with it. More likely, the reactions are embedded in the manner in which in construe "I" here as the embodiment of dasein.

Then [of course] the part about politics. No getting around that, is there?
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 22327
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: Unwarn me, I was falsely warned for no reason.

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:48 pm

It's because people don't want to think, dont want to make the connections.

My post proved you wrong, naturally you dont want to think about the connections to prove yourself wrong, And no I wont spell out the details for you. The whole point was to get you to connect the dots, but you dont want to because those dots disprove your argument.
trogdor
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED
 
Posts: 8312
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: Unwarn me, I was falsely warned for no reason.

Postby iambiguous » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:08 pm

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:It's because people don't want to think, dont want to make the connections.

My post proved you wrong, naturally you dont want to think about the connections to prove yourself wrong, And no I wont spell out the details for you. The whole point was to get you to connect the dots, but you dont want to because those dots disprove your argument.


What we have here [again] is "failure to communicate". Sure, you may well have proven me wrong. I may well be among those who don't want to think and make the only connections that count: yours.

Still, there is just something about your post that sets it apart from all the others.

Now, admittedly, I can't pin this down with any degree of logical precision. But I'm sure there are any numbers folks here thinking, "I know what you mean".

Why don't you try again. Forget the cartoons. Just say what you think in reacting to the points that I raised in the OP. I acknowledged that Satyr was making a good point at KT. But react to my points in the nurture/nature thread here in the manner in which I reacted to his points there.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 22327
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: Unwarn me, I was falsely warned for no reason.

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:27 pm

iambiguous wrote:
Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:It's because people don't want to think, dont want to make the connections.

My post proved you wrong, naturally you dont want to think about the connections to prove yourself wrong, And no I wont spell out the details for you. The whole point was to get you to connect the dots, but you dont want to because those dots disprove your argument.


What we have here [again] is "failure to communicate". Sure, you may well have proven me wrong. I may well be among those who don't want to think and make the only connections that count: yours.

Still, there is just something about your post that sets it apart from all the others.

Now, admittedly, I can't pin this down with any degree of logical precision. But I'm sure there are any numbers folks here thinking, "I know what you mean".

Why don't you try again. Forget the cartoons. Just say what you think in reacting to the points that I raised in the OP. I acknowledged that Satyr was making a good point at KT. But react to my points in the nurture/nature thread here in the manner in which I reacted to his points there.


Thing is, we could argue about it for 5 hours using wall of text.
Or we could try to use cartoons to prove it wrong in 5 minutes.

Sadly now we are back to the 5 hours method.
Here's an example.
On Christian boards they will argue about this topic in 5 hours, but common sense cartoons deflate it in 5 minutes. Here's an example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0EEKfTnfvA
trogdor
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED
 
Posts: 8312
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: Unwarn me, I was falsely warned for no reason.

Postby iambiguous » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:34 pm

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:
iambiguous wrote:
Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:It's because people don't want to think, dont want to make the connections.

My post proved you wrong, naturally you dont want to think about the connections to prove yourself wrong, And no I wont spell out the details for you. The whole point was to get you to connect the dots, but you dont want to because those dots disprove your argument.


What we have here [again] is "failure to communicate". Sure, you may well have proven me wrong. I may well be among those who don't want to think and make the only connections that count: yours.

Still, there is just something about your post that sets it apart from all the others.

Now, admittedly, I can't pin this down with any degree of logical precision. But I'm sure there are any numbers folks here thinking, "I know what you mean".

Why don't you try again. Forget the cartoons. Just say what you think in reacting to the points that I raised in the OP. I acknowledged that Satyr was making a good point at KT. But react to my points in the nurture/nature thread here in the manner in which I reacted to his points there.


Thing is, we could argue about it for 5 hours using wall of text.
Or we could try to use cartoons to prove it wrong in 5 minutes.

Sadly now we are back to the 5 hours method.
Here's an example.
On Christian boards they will argue about this topic in 5 hours, but common sense cartoons deflate it in 5 minutes. Here's an example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0EEKfTnfvA


Okay, okay, I get it: More Kidstuff.

But my offer still stands.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 22327
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: Unwarn me, I was falsely warned for no reason.

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:35 pm

No its not KidsStuff, its RealStuff.

But yeah, sometimes Children see things clearer than adults do.
Like adults always want to be moving.
A train goes 300 mph...because adults got to be moving.
Can't just stay in one spot.
trogdor
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED
 
Posts: 8312
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: Unwarn me, I was falsely warned for no reason.

Postby iambiguous » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:03 pm

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote: No its not KidsStuff, its RealStuff.


Perhaps. But I suggest that both frames of mind are largely existential contraptions that can be discussed intelligently somewhere between a "wall of words" and "cartoon characters".

And most folks seemed clearly to understand that on my thread. However, your own contribution stands out like a sore thumb. And, sure, while that can be either a good thing or a bad thing, don't expect everyone to share your own assessment.

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote: But yeah, sometimes Children see things clearer than adults do.
Like adults always want to be moving.
A train goes 300 mph...because adults got to be moving.
Can't just stay in one spot.


Again, perhaps. But Satyr is not a child. And I am not a child. And while we have both become Kids on occasion, the thrust of his thread [and my reaction to it] revolved around certain "adult" assumptions that are made regarding genes and memes in human interactions.

Whether on train going 300 mph or standing in one spot.

It's like we were exchanging actual substantive thoughts [if at a distance] and you came along and started doodling obscenities.

Or so it seemed to me.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 22327
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: Unwarn me, I was falsely warned for no reason.

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:35 am

Not my fault if I move too fast to follow along.
Slow down.
trogdor
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED
 
Posts: 8312
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: Unwarn me, I was falsely warned for no reason.

Postby Mr Reasonable » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:29 am

I didn't watch the videos, but the post seemed like a good one.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 24691
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Unwarn me, I was falsely warned for no reason.

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:22 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:I didn't watch the videos, but the post seemed like a good one.


Thankyou, finally someone understands. :)
trogdor
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED
 
Posts: 8312
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: Unwarn me, I was falsely warned for no reason.

Postby Leyla » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:12 pm

Why is Trixie permabanned from ILP? Was there a particular post as a crucial factor?
User avatar
Leyla
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:58 pm

Re: Unwarn me, I was falsely warned for no reason.

Postby WendyDarling » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:27 pm

When did that happen?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 6283
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Unwarn me, I was falsely warned for no reason.

Postby Leyla » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:07 pm

Three or four days ago, as far as I know.
User avatar
Leyla
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:58 pm

Re: Unwarn me, I was falsely warned for no reason.

Postby surreptitious75 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:24 pm


Trixie was banned four days ago and now posts at Philosophy Now
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Re: Unwarn me, I was falsely warned for no reason.

Postby Alf » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:55 pm

The question reamains: Why followed this permaban?
User avatar
Alf
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:07 am

Re: Unwarn me, I was falsely warned for no reason.

Postby surreptitious75 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:09 pm


A member is automatically permabanned after receiving six suspensions which she already had
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Re: Unwarn me, I was falsely warned for no reason.

Postby Arminius » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:18 pm

I thought that the question was, why there was that warning at all. :idea:
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5544
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Unwarn me, I was falsely warned for no reason.

Postby Mr Reasonable » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:40 am

Is there an appeals process for this? Surely we aren't summarily exiling people on strict liability for simply having too many infractions.

When I was a teenager, you could get a speeding ticket, and just go and pay it, and you could go right back out and speed again, and when you got another ticket, you just paid it. If you had the money, you could have the freedom to speed. That's some real American shit right there. But then one day they started with a point system where when you get the ticket, you have to pay, and you get some points on your license. Too many points too fast, and they take your license for a while. Happened to me a handful of times. It really sucked, seemed totally oppressive, and inhibited my freedom as an American who likes to drive fast.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 24691
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Unwarn me, I was falsely warned for no reason.

Postby Only_Humean » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:25 am

She is banned. The ban rules were recently updated here:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=167245
There's no appeals procedure in place, as you know.

As I understand it from her user notes, it was for http://ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopic.ph ... 8#p2683698 and (predominantly) the subsequent postings.

The ban was not specifically for those posts, but the general behaviour: she had 11 warnings in the past 2 years. At a certain point signal:noise ratio comes into consideration, as adjudged by the moderators.
Image

The biology of purpose keeps my nose above the surface.
- Brian Eno
User avatar
Only_Humean
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6192
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:53 am
Location: Right here

Re: Unwarn me, I was falsely warned for no reason.

Postby Alf » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:44 pm

Only_Humean wrote:As I understand it from her user notes, it was for http://ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopic.ph ... 8#p2683698 and (predominantly) the subsequent postings.

If it had been for that posting and the subsequent postings, then the two who posted in that thread before Ultimate Philosophy 1001 would have been permabanned for a very, very long time.
Last edited by Alf on Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Alf
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:07 am

Next

Return to Meta



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users