session time out: please cache post

A forum about the forums

Moderator: Carleas

session time out: please cache post

Postby gib » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:53 pm

Hello ILP webmasters (Carleas?),

Something that's irked me about ILP for a while now is this:

If I'm composing a lengthy post, and I take my time, maybe at work where I can only compose one paragraph between every 20 minutes of work, by the time I'm ready to post, I hit submit and then find I've been logged out. So I log back in and find my entire post is wiped... gone, incinerated, finito. Hitting the back button on my browser doesn't restore it. My work-around to this is to compose my post in notepad first, and then if my session expires by the time I'm ready to post, it's no big deal--I simply log back in, hit "reply", copy and paste from notepad, hit submit, and it goes through. But still, once in a while, I forget to do this, and once in a while I pay the price.

It would be nice if ILP at least cached the user's post just in case his session expired. In that case, the user would log back in and immediately be directed back to the post composition page where the server would paste the user's post from the cache to the posting text area.

Is this possible? Can it be implement?
My thoughts | My art | My music | My poetry

It is impossible for a human being to go through life not thinking irrationally even if they think of themselves as rational
Also just as irrational decisions are not always bad then rational ones are not always good no matter what the intention
- surreptitious75

The rating of rationality can be higher and always is higher than the person trying to be rational. Rationality is less emotional than the person delivering it.
- encode_decode

Is that a demon slug in your stomach or are you just happy to see me?
- Rick Sanchez
gib
little shitheaded Buddha

Re: session time out: please cache post

Postby WendyDarling » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:01 pm

I agree with gib...when a session times out, it's maddening. :evil:

Find a way to lengthen session times (indefinitely or 24 hrs.) or do as gib suggests and cache our goods, unless there's an even better idea? (spoken in monotone)Anybody? Bueller? Anybody? Bueller?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:36 pm

I admit this has happened to me more then once...
I find it tends to speed up my process which sometimes
hurts the quality of my posts because I am thinking about being
fast instead of the quality of the post

Kropotkin
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security
wind up with neither."
"Ben Franklin"

The RNC has announced that's its changing the Republican emblem from
an elephant to an condom because it more clearly reflects the party's political
stance: a condom stands for inflation, halts production, destroys the next generation,
protects a bunch of pricks, and gives one a sense of security while screwing others.

Kropotkin
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend

Postby gib » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:05 am

WendyDarling wrote:Find a way to lengthen session times (indefinitely or 24 hrs.)

Not recommended.

WendyDarling wrote:or do as gib suggests...

Definitely recommended. :D

WendyDarling wrote:unless there's an even better idea?

How is that even possible? When I come up with an idea, Wendy, everyone else can retire. :shock:

Peter Kropotkin wrote:I admit this has happened to me more then once...
I find it tends to speed up my process which sometimes
hurts the quality of my posts because I am thinking about being
fast instead of the quality of the post

Now whose fault is that I wonder. When it comes to lost posts, I usually take a break and come back to it later when I'm ready to re-post something bigger, better, and badder. With that attitude in mind, I usually allow myself more time--if not to write more then to take more time in perfecting my wording. You are too rushed, my friend, learn to breathe.

It is impossible for a human being to go through life not thinking irrationally even if they think of themselves as rational
Also just as irrational decisions are not always bad then rational ones are not always good no matter what the intention
- surreptitious75

The rating of rationality can be higher and always is higher than the person trying to be rational. Rationality is less emotional than the person delivering it.
- encode_decode

- Rick Sanchez
gib
little shitheaded Buddha

Postby encode_decode » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:03 am

:lol:

phpbb - ah I love it - I use it myself on my own site.
    I am using a newer version and once my session times out, the cookie as stale as it is, is still there . . .
    . . . I end up having to clear my browsers cache just so that I can log back in.

I don't even bother mentioning anything on their forum because there is always some smart ass comment thrown back . . .

. . . like you are imagining it or something.

To cache the post would require:

1. Sending data to the server(SQL) #-o
      2. A crazy cookie maybe :lol:
      3. JavaScript to write local data :D
      4. AJAX :D

Honestly I think we are stuck with notepad(Notepad++ :D ) for a little while longer - but hey . . .
    . . . what would I know?

8-[
    - Mind is an ever changing dimension that is bound to reality, logic and emotion. (2017) -

But the point remains that you can't get at that meaning before grasping the surface meaning, which is to say there is always meaning.(gib - 2017)
    encode_decode
    Thinker

Postby James S Saint » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:15 pm

1) log back in from a different page/tab.
    2) "Go Back" from the original page in order to retrieve the post data.
    3) copy the original post so as to not lose it (cntl-c).
    4) submit again from the original page.
    Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
    Else
    From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
    The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
    It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
    As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
    Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
    James S Saint
    ILP Legend

Postby encode_decode » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:20 pm

James S Saint wrote:1) log back in from a different page/tab.
    2) "Go Back" from the original page in order to retrieve the post data.
    3) copy the original post so as to not lose it (cntl-c).
    4) submit again from the original page.

Ah yes, thanks for reminding me - I have tried this and it does work.

Which browser are you using James?
    - Mind is an ever changing dimension that is bound to reality, logic and emotion. (2017) -

But the point remains that you can't get at that meaning before grasping the surface meaning, which is to say there is always meaning.(gib - 2017)
    encode_decode
    Thinker

Postby James S Saint » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:40 pm

encode_decode wrote:Which browser are you using James?

I usually use Firefox. I'm sure Chrome allows for the same.
    Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
    Else
    From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
    The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
    It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
    As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
    Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
    James S Saint
    ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:01 pm

I have given up relying on my browser/any browser as far as ILP posts are concerned, and have recently started saving replies to my User Control panel, and so now I can reply at my leisure and edit at will.. until I am ready to submit my post for all to see. :D

Same for DMs..
    MagsJ
    The Londonist

Postby Carleas » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:56 am

Do you use the "log me in automatically" option? I access ILP the same way you do, and when my session expires I don't need to log back in, I get a notification that the session expired ("The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again."), but I just have to hit submit again, but I don't actually get logged out. That's not some administrator privilege to my knowledge, it's the way I have my browser configured, including the "log me in automatically" box.

I just verified James' suggestion: I opened ILP in another tab and logged out on that tab, come back to this tab and hit submit, get a message telling me to log back in, hit back on this tab, go to other tab and log in, hit submit on this tab and get "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again." but my post is still there, hit submit again and it works.

Ideally, no post would ever be lost. I've lost posts and it sucks. But I honestly don't know how to change things to make posts more retrievable. ILP uses out-of-the-box software, and I don't know how to begin to modify it to better cache posts before they are submitted. ILP is overdue for a software update/upgrade, and if that fixes it, much the better.
    User Control Panel > Board preference > Edit display options > Display signatures: No.
    Carleas
    Magister Ludi

Postby gib » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:33 pm

I have since tried James' approach and confirm it works. I also tested your suggestion, Carleas, of checking the "stay logged in" checkbox before logging in, and it seems to work (composed a draft, let it sit for an hour, hit "save draft" and I seemed not to be logged out). So we have a few techniques. All three combined (Jame's, yours, and my notepad technique) should result in losing posts being an extremely rare occurrence.

- surreptitious75

- encode_decode

- Rick Sanchez
    gib
    little shitheaded Buddha

Postby encode_decode » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:56 am

Carleas wrote:Ideally, no post would ever be lost. I've lost posts and it sucks. But I honestly don't know how to change things to make posts more retrievable. ILP uses out-of-the-box software, and I don't know how to begin to modify it to better cache posts before they are submitted. ILP is overdue for a software update/upgrade, and if that fixes it, much the better.

Don't even attempt a modification Carleas. Overdue for a software update, I believe is only a matter of opinion at the moment - this version of phpBB is fine for at least another six months - the next version/s do not fix it - there are a few cosmetic updates and only minor updates to the core from what I have been able to tell.

Actually I take back what I said about the core - nonetheless, why fix something that aint broke?

encode_decode
    Thinker

Postby encode_decode » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:07 am

James S Saint wrote:
    encode_decode wrote:Which browser are you using James?

I usually use Firefox. I'm sure Chrome allows for the same.

I usually use Firefox. I am also using Chrome too, for the time being but I have not verified your method in it. I will say that my other problem involving stale cookies still persists in Chrome however.

I would suggest that you are correct about Chrome allowing for the same, regarding your method, as it is a matter of persistent/non-persistent cookies.

encode_decode
    Thinker

Return to Meta