Piece of Advice

A forum about the forums

Moderator: Carleas

Piece of Advice

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:06 pm

One of the reasons this forum is so low on the philosophy forum totem pole is because you prevent new members from posting. I can tell you right now, from first impressions, this would drive 80% of newcomers away.
Urwrongx1000
Thinker

Re: Piece of Advice

Postby Carleas » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:43 pm

You are absolutely right. It's an imperfect solution to the chronic problem of spam.
User Control Panel > Board preference > Edit display options > Display signatures: No.
Carleas
Magister Ludi

Postby The Eternal Warrior » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:38 pm

There's a philosophy forum totem pole, like there are more than just this message board and they're far more active? Can you post some links?

I still, personally, find it inspiring that for the 'restrictions' that you say impede activity that activity continues anyway and some of our posts here have gained over 10,000 views, some far more, in short periods of time, i.e. a couple years. That shows a popularity in viewing audience beyond just the posting and vocal minority. Also, personally, I find success to be measured in more ways than people who post simple criticism as piece of advice can manage to admit other than to act out in certain patterns of action; a pattern of patterns that I didn't fully begin to notice until spending some time here among these forums. These forums practically gave birth to a lot of actual thinking and getting somewhere with it.

But, as for it being a piece of advice, I do find; again personally; that I like my advice given to me in pieces. That way it takes a while to put it together to any way that can be made sense or use of and in the mean time, are caught having to act and maintain anyway with the conclusion and sum of the thinking matter usually being solved by simple action in much shorter length of time and fashion than it takes the conscious mind to work it out or have it be able to be brought to a conclusive whole for it to act on.

I remember when it used to be easier to destroy communities with posts like this, though. :-"
The Eternal Warrior
Philosopher

Postby Mr Reasonable » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:58 pm

I think its because most sites are just places where only those who agree with the theme are welcome, and so people come here and realize that an actual debate it harder than they thought, so they go back to a place where they can pat each other on the back and confirm one another's biases in a comfortable setting because its difficult to debate intelligent people who disagree with you.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby Fixed Cross » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:44 pm

Some Guy in History wrote:There's a philosophy forum totem pole, like there are more than just this message board and they're far more active? Can you post some links?

I still, personally, find it inspiring that for the 'restrictions' that you say impede activity that activity continues anyway and some of our posts here have gained over 10,000 views, some far more, in short periods of time, i.e. a couple years. That shows a popularity in viewing audience beyond just the posting and vocal minority. Also, personally, I find success to be measured in more ways than people who post simple criticism as piece of advice can manage to admit other than to act out in certain patterns of action; a pattern of patterns that I didn't fully begin to notice until spending some time here among these forums. These forums practically gave birth to a lot of actual thinking and getting somewhere with it.

But, as for it being a piece of advice, I do find; again personally; that I like my advice given to me in pieces. That way it takes a while to put it together to any way that can be made sense or use of and in the mean time, are caught having to act and maintain anyway with the conclusion and sum of the thinking matter usually being solved by simple action in much shorter length of time and fashion than it takes the conscious mind to work it out or have it be able to be brought to a conclusive whole for it to act on.

I remember when it used to be easier to destroy communities with posts like this, though. :-"

This isnt just a philosophy forum, it's a psychic cauldron.
People are being broken and reborn here.

ill make a new thread on this soon, itll be have "Witchcraft" in the title.
ILP is more than meets the eye. More than wants to meet the eye - more than the eye wants to meet.
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides

Thunderbolt steers all things.
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby James S Saint » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:52 pm

Fixed Cross wrote:This isnt just a philosophy forum, it's a psychic [psychotic] cauldron... - more than the eye wants to meet.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby WendyDarling » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:37 am

:lol:
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Return to Meta