QUALITY OF PHILOSOPHICAL DISCOURSE

A forum about the forums

Moderator: Carleas

QUALITY OF PHILOSOPHICAL DISCOURSE

Postby surreptitious57 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:04 am

As I have already said there is an awful lot posted here that has nothing at all to do with philosophy
So should we all make a collective effort to try to redress that imbalance or just carry on as we are
Now I favour the former but as I also said without willpower it will just not happen so what say you
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1682
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:05 am

Re: QUALITY OF PHILOSOPHICAL DISCOURSE

Postby phyllo » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:10 pm

What do you propose to fix it?
"Only the educated are free" - Epictetus
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" -Beethoven
"Everyday life is the way" -Wumen
"Do not permit the events of your daily life to bind you, but never withdraw yourself from them" - Wumen
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 9695
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am
Location: Far away from the BS

Re: QUALITY OF PHILOSOPHICAL DISCOURSE

Postby surreptitious57 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:49 pm

I would like some consensus among the members to post more serious stuff. I do not think it will work
if it has to be enforced by the mods for that will simply create resentment and be counter productive
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1682
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:05 am

Re: QUALITY OF PHILOSOPHICAL DISCOURSE

Postby phyllo » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:54 pm

As I said in the other thread, crazy people can't stop themselves from posting crazy stuff. One reason is that they don't think that the stuff is crazy.
"Only the educated are free" - Epictetus
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" -Beethoven
"Everyday life is the way" -Wumen
"Do not permit the events of your daily life to bind you, but never withdraw yourself from them" - Wumen
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 9695
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am
Location: Far away from the BS

Re: QUALITY OF PHILOSOPHICAL DISCOURSE

Postby surreptitious57 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:04 pm

Ecmandu may post complete rubbish but he has a maths degree so he could easily do quality posts. Trixie can write computer
programmes so she can do likewise. I do not think that shellytrokan is here anymore as her last post was over two months ago
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1682
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:05 am

Re: QUALITY OF PHILOSOPHICAL DISCOURSE

Postby Ecmandu » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:34 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:Ecmandu may post complete rubbish but he has a maths degree so he could easily do quality posts. Trixie can write computer
programmes so she can do likewise. I do not think that shellytrokan is here anymore as her last post was over two months ago


I'm a high school drop out.

viewtopic.php?p=2645025#p2645025

That is the best philosophy on earth...

Propaganda is easy, contributions are hard
Do unto yourself and others as you'd do unto yourself if you were them (and you) - Ecmandu's Rule.

Ecmandu's second rule: calculate the set of your argument upon itself before you argue!

Stratification of motivational systems towards conspicuous consumption or extraneous drama cause all human ills - that was the most important thing you'll ever read in your life. - Ecmandu

The biggest problem in life... That more than one person wants the same thing! Solve this, and you have beaten the demon of life!
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6705
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: QUALITY OF PHILOSOPHICAL DISCOURSE

Postby surreptitious57 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:10 pm

Even if you are a drop out you can still post maths stuff which is more interesting than
your female blackmail conspiracy nonsense that only you and Trixie actually believe in
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1682
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:05 am

Re: QUALITY OF PHILOSOPHICAL DISCOURSE

Postby Ecmandu » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:23 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:Even if you are a drop out you can still post maths stuff which is more interesting than
your female blackmail conspiracy nonsense that only you and Trixie actually believe in


I'll repeat: it's not a conspiracy: you have to preplan a conspiracy

That's a straw man rebuttal, and now you've done it twice
Do unto yourself and others as you'd do unto yourself if you were them (and you) - Ecmandu's Rule.

Ecmandu's second rule: calculate the set of your argument upon itself before you argue!

Stratification of motivational systems towards conspicuous consumption or extraneous drama cause all human ills - that was the most important thing you'll ever read in your life. - Ecmandu

The biggest problem in life... That more than one person wants the same thing! Solve this, and you have beaten the demon of life!
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6705
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: QUALITY OF PHILOSOPHICAL DISCOURSE

Postby The Golden Turd » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:11 am

I intentional post crazy or comeduc stuff as a method, not because I am. It's a old philosophical lineage I go by.

However, in the cases of Trixie and Ecmandu (worried trixie has been banned again) is we keep them around because we are for starters tolerant, that they literally are of a different mindset and we might learn something from the dialogue- a old idea, and thirdly because they are the most in need of the experience of engaging in philosophical discourse. This is a pan-philosophical website, any and all philosophy is up for discussion, and in the case of schizophrenics, we have a long history in philosophy of somewhat embracing, or at least tolerating them. I find it impressive for all their issues, they still have the drive to learn and improve themselves.

We can do both S57. Chaos is my method, and it us very sobering and focused. I'm writing a tract right now called "Exploring Your ANUS: A Introduction to the Philosophy of Logic" - ANUS being a acyronym for a method of studying and formulating new ideas. I even reworked Aristotle's Square of Opposites so it looks like this:

)0(

That way a student or professor learning thus has to run their fingers across it's various parts to make formulaic logic. Absolutely absurd and dirty, but 100% innovative, and I propose a few advances to logic and philosophy in general through it, even though half the audience reading it would be scared sick or vomiting from joy reading it. It's as crazy as it gets, yet is completely sane and sober at the same time. I give people what they really want, perverted excitement, through otherwise brutally dreary analysis. I'm seriously considering a examination of every philosopher prior to Socrates (the presocratics) in this work. It takes philosophy out of the clouds and makes it relatible to even the uneducated back alley riffraff that haunt third world slums. That's not a bad thing at all.

So have a bit more tolerance for our fiends, they use only words, and if your better than them in your thinking, then study the disparity for the ask of exploring your ANUS, you need to understand why your different, if for no other reason, than gaining a better understanding of how thinking works.
Support "The Angels of East Africa" on smile.Amazon.com it is free to do, they donate 0.05% of your purchase cost to them, or give donations directly via:

http://www.machinegunpreacher.org

Image

Recently hidden post:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=192227&p=2649513#p2649513
User avatar
The Golden Turd
Fucking Unflushable
 
Posts: 9450
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:37 am
Location: Apparently Well Up Manical Mongoose's Ass

Re: QUALITY OF PHILOSOPHICAL DISCOURSE

Postby Ecmandu » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:56 am

Turd, in ancient society I'd be the head shaman ...

Most prestigious ...

Societies like that still exist ...

Before you write me off...

Remember:

I'm one of two people in human history who released a unique way to count rational numbers, and the only person who did the reals...

I'm not mentally ill because of me, but because of all of you
Do unto yourself and others as you'd do unto yourself if you were them (and you) - Ecmandu's Rule.

Ecmandu's second rule: calculate the set of your argument upon itself before you argue!

Stratification of motivational systems towards conspicuous consumption or extraneous drama cause all human ills - that was the most important thing you'll ever read in your life. - Ecmandu

The biggest problem in life... That more than one person wants the same thing! Solve this, and you have beaten the demon of life!
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6705
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: QUALITY OF PHILOSOPHICAL DISCOURSE

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:17 am

Id like to increase the quality of my intercourse.

Without intercourse there is no philosophy
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
the Grandmother.
 
Posts: 7753
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: QUALITY OF PHILOSOPHICAL DISCOURSE

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:17 am

Deepest thing you will ever read
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
the Grandmother.
 
Posts: 7753
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: QUALITY OF PHILOSOPHICAL DISCOURSE

Postby Ecmandu » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:23 pm

You're being sarcastic.

The most obvious and thus deepest problem in all of existence, is that unless we can all get what we want… without hurting anyone, this is all bullshit.

Say I land the prettiest woman in the world.

That means someone else didn't.

Say I land the best philosophical mind ever, that means someone else didn't.

No matter what you do, no matter how great or small… it's going to hurt someone, and someone is going to hurt you for it.

It's an endless cycle of shit.

Im the only person on earth who actually gives a shit.

I'm solving it.

The rest of you are vapid and shallow ostriches.

Another thing you need to know about existence… if you don't solve everyones problems… you still have a problem yourself.
Do unto yourself and others as you'd do unto yourself if you were them (and you) - Ecmandu's Rule.

Ecmandu's second rule: calculate the set of your argument upon itself before you argue!

Stratification of motivational systems towards conspicuous consumption or extraneous drama cause all human ills - that was the most important thing you'll ever read in your life. - Ecmandu

The biggest problem in life... That more than one person wants the same thing! Solve this, and you have beaten the demon of life!
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6705
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: QUALITY OF PHILOSOPHICAL DISCOURSE

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:44 pm

Not being the number 1 philosopher isn't actually the problem.

Focus on fixing the game.

The problem is not not having the 1 hottest girl in the world.
What is a problem is, when you can't have the girl of your dreams. Then you can't have the other girl you love. Then you wait 3 months. Fall in love again, then can't have the new girl you love.

The game isn't even glitchy. It's not even functional. Earth game is like, an equivalent to a videogame where all players lag out every match and fall through the floor because the floors don't even have collisions.
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
the Grandmother.
 
Posts: 7753
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: QUALITY OF PHILOSOPHICAL DISCOURSE

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:46 pm

Earth is like Big Rigs over the Road Racing.

You seem to worry abut making the game perfect, I'm just trying making it playable.
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
the Grandmother.
 
Posts: 7753
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: QUALITY OF PHILOSOPHICAL DISCOURSE

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:56 pm

Actually, Earth is the opposite of big rigs, Earth is impossibly difficult, a frustration fest where you can't even get to the first check point of the the first level. Both are garbage games
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
the Grandmother.
 
Posts: 7753
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: QUALITY OF PHILOSOPHICAL DISCOURSE

Postby Ecmandu » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:56 pm

Trixie!

Very perceptive of you!

The reason I'm trying to make it perfect, is that if there is a flaw, it sends to hell eventually.

Seriously, the ONLY solution is to use behavioral signatures and variations in a PZ universe that everyone constructs themselves and can always update!!!

That's the mega solution!

Nobody loves you more than you love yourself… this is true of everyone.
Do unto yourself and others as you'd do unto yourself if you were them (and you) - Ecmandu's Rule.

Ecmandu's second rule: calculate the set of your argument upon itself before you argue!

Stratification of motivational systems towards conspicuous consumption or extraneous drama cause all human ills - that was the most important thing you'll ever read in your life. - Ecmandu

The biggest problem in life... That more than one person wants the same thing! Solve this, and you have beaten the demon of life!
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6705
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: QUALITY OF PHILOSOPHICAL DISCOURSE

Postby James S Saint » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:13 pm

If you want to improve something, learn to measure it. But first, improve how you measure.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 24795
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: QUALITY OF PHILOSOPHICAL DISCOURSE

Postby iambiguous » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:21 pm

James S Saint wrote:If you want to improve something, learn to measure it. But first, improve how you measure.


Okay, James, how does one measure the quality of philosophical discourse unless he or she wholly subscribes to the tenets of RM/AO?

And how is this then measured with respect to the Real God?

Also, how is this related to, oh, I don't know, conflicting value judgments? :wink:
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 20455
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: QUALITY OF PHILOSOPHICAL DISCOURSE

Postby phyllo » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:35 pm

James S Saint wrote:If you want to improve something, learn to measure it. But first, improve how you measure.

"I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description ["crappy philosophy discussion"], and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it, ..."
"Only the educated are free" - Epictetus
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" -Beethoven
"Everyday life is the way" -Wumen
"Do not permit the events of your daily life to bind you, but never withdraw yourself from them" - Wumen
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 9695
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am
Location: Far away from the BS

Re: QUALITY OF PHILOSOPHICAL DISCOURSE

Postby MagsJ » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:43 pm

Ecmandu wrote:Nobody loves you more than you love yourself… this is true of everyone.

The majority do not love themselves more than they do others... I've done the homework, I've asked, I was surprised by the results.
Image
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist
 
Posts: 16765
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: London, NC1

Re: QUALITY OF PHILOSOPHICAL DISCOURSE

Postby Ecmandu » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:28 pm

MagsJ wrote:
Ecmandu wrote:Nobody loves you more than you love yourself… this is true of everyone.

The majority do not love themselves more than they do others... I've done the homework, I've asked, I was surprised by the results.


I should have said "ultimately" Nah… when you're being helled by everyone, the thing most important to you is YOUR memories, and who YOU felt was more important than you.
Do unto yourself and others as you'd do unto yourself if you were them (and you) - Ecmandu's Rule.

Ecmandu's second rule: calculate the set of your argument upon itself before you argue!

Stratification of motivational systems towards conspicuous consumption or extraneous drama cause all human ills - that was the most important thing you'll ever read in your life. - Ecmandu

The biggest problem in life... That more than one person wants the same thing! Solve this, and you have beaten the demon of life!
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6705
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: QUALITY OF PHILOSOPHICAL DISCOURSE

Postby MagsJ » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:35 pm

Ecmandu wrote:
MagsJ wrote:
Ecmandu wrote:Nobody loves you more than you love yourself… this is true of everyone.

The majority do not love themselves more than they do others... I've done the homework, I've asked, I was surprised by the results.


I should have said "ultimately" Nah… when you're being helled by everyone, the thing most important to you is YOUR memories, and who YOU felt was more important than you.

Should anyone be more important than ourselves in our own eyes?

Can we operate until we are fit enough for purpose?
Image
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist
 
Posts: 16765
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: London, NC1

Re: QUALITY OF PHILOSOPHICAL DISCOURSE

Postby WendyDarling » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:54 am

Ec wrote
Say I land the prettiest woman in the world.


By your standards which only you have?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 4600
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: QUALITY OF PHILOSOPHICAL DISCOURSE

Postby Ecmandu » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:33 pm

Maniacal Mongoose wrote:Ec wrote
Say I land the prettiest woman in the world.


By your standards which only you have?


I think it's objective in terms of physicality.

The prettiest women I have ever seen was in a dream. It was a disturbing dream, but I'll never forget how pretty she was.

I'd say most men consider at least 20% of women to be the prettiest.
Do unto yourself and others as you'd do unto yourself if you were them (and you) - Ecmandu's Rule.

Ecmandu's second rule: calculate the set of your argument upon itself before you argue!

Stratification of motivational systems towards conspicuous consumption or extraneous drama cause all human ills - that was the most important thing you'll ever read in your life. - Ecmandu

The biggest problem in life... That more than one person wants the same thing! Solve this, and you have beaten the demon of life!
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6705
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Next

Return to Meta



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot]