Can we change the name of the "Non philosophical chat" back

psst

Hi Jakob,

A bit of irony and sarcasm there, Jakob? I don’t want to presume what you actually meant by that.
You certainly cannot be saying that philosophers are anti-social creatures, can you?

Can you elaborate on that. What odd conversation and what decision?

“Down Time” just occurred to me. Simple and without affect.

:slight_smile:

Chatter

We are talking arent we? So no. What I said is that we come here because we love philosophy. Obviously we would not go into a forum if we actually thought of it as “non-philosophical chat”.

The decision to take on that name.

I laughed.

This is reductive. A site dedicated to philosophy, that attracts people who love philosophy, can still have an area dedicated to non-philosophical chat. Academics go to bars, politicians take up painting, sports players read books. None of this is at all inconsistent. We are a forum for philosophers, but philosophy cannot be all of a philosopher’s life.

I like “Down Time” too. Maybe that addresses Jakob’s concerns as well.

Um, I disagree. Every part of my life is basically philosophy. Even when I’m chatting non-philosophically, I’m still being philosophical. I wake up every morning and piss philosophy.

Same here. I had figured that outlook for more or less universal among ILP posters. But then Carleas hasnt been posting for a good while.

Carleas, or another mod; a request then to move some of my threads to the Philosophy forum. Please transfer this one as soon as you get the chance…
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=188756
I’ll put up most of my threads for transfer. I am beyond wanting to post my thoughts in a “non-philosophical chat” forum.

Thanks.

You say that, but it looks like you’ve posted in the “Post a Picture of Yourself” thread over 300 times.

Anyway, this is besides the point since we’re talking about what the name should be. What do you think of “Down Time”?

Fixed Cross?

:-"

It has a ring to it.
Everything is better than “non philosophical”.
Sorry if Im cranky. When you changed the name I had just invested a couple of hundred hours in a thread called “the philosophers” there.

Since Mr R steps up m gonna give him the credit he’s deserved all along;

Mr R is a bona fide philosopher, maybe the most important one on this site.
If he’d not write here, that would genuinely suck.
He was absent for a few months a few years back and instantly KTS swarmed in. They cant stand the standards he sets, the standard that life is good and you need to be powerful to handle that.

I dare you to say that in the philosophy forum!

He said in jest. :wink:

And each of those posts were deeply philosophical.

:character-burgerking: :flags-canada: :violence-swords: :violence-captureflagblue: :violence-duel: :violence-guntoting:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=191316

How about:

“…the song remains the same”

Wouldn’t that, in essence, refer back to philosophy?
What we’re trying to do here is to “change the tune” Pezerocles…let’s say from classical music to
slow jazz.

Some ideas that came to me

[i]Freestyle

General Chat

Philosophers Den

Bring Your Drink

Open Stage

Black Shades Only

The Park (no littering)

Chillout

Epicure’s Garden

Socrates’ Cell (come join the banter)
[/i]

On the opposite side of that coin, Jakob, I rather think that it takes more inner power to handle life when it is certainly not good…when it is more in fact dystopian in nature.

Nevertheless, I just had a thought and so I can, in a sense, understand where you’re coming from if, in fact, you are thinking along the same lines as I am. So, why did YOU say what you did?