Only Humean needs a 1 Week Cool Off Period from Mod Duties

A forum about the forums

Moderator: Carleas

Re: Only Humean needs a 1 Week Cool Off Period from Mod Duti

Postby Carleas » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:31 pm

Case in point:
HaHaHa wrote:It's no use Turd Ferguson in trying to persuade the inner party apparatchiks of ILP. They will come with various excuses and justifications for their censoring and intimidation tactics on forum members here even calling their actions ridiculously civil or moral ones.

There's no indication here that the arguments presented were even read, much less understood, and there's no attempt whatsoever to rebut them. Instead, they're dismissed because of who they come from. This is philosophy 101: it's an ad hominem fallacy in the sense that it is simply attacking the speaker as a person and concluding that such a person could not present a valid case.

A comment like this in the context of a philosophical discussion just ends the discussion, it's purely noise to any kind of conversation because every followup or attempt to get back on track is dismissed as coming from the same, tainted source. And it tends to provoke responses in kind, further degrading the quality of the debate.

This is a mild example, both because the insults are mild and because this thread is administrative. But when the same pattern is repeated endlessly and in threads that are intended to be philosophical, and when the insults are more personal, it's speech destroying. To prohibit that kind of activity is to protect the conversations, to protect the speech.
User Control Panel > Board preference > Edit display options > Display signatures: No.
Carleas
Magister Ludi

Postby Mictlantecuhtli » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:34 pm

Protect free speech by censoring others so that only your own point of view or those like it prevails.....

Only those kinds of speech or expressions are allowed freely....

*Golf clapping*
Civilization is a ship of fools headed to a one way destination of catastrophe and annihilation, its many captains populated by asshole-idiots that all agree it is unsinkable.

Mictlantecuhtli
Nihilistic Mystic And Hermit

Postby Carleas » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:10 pm

HaHaHa wrote:Protect free speech by censoring others so that only your own point of view or those like it prevails.....

There is a distinction between viewpoint discrimination and what's known in US law as "time, place, and manner" restrictions. For example, expressing the viewpoint that politicians are corrupt is protected; expressing it by spray painting it on a campaign billboard is not.

You were moderated not for your viewpoint (to the extent that your single lines of text effectively convey one), but for the manner in which you express it: by insulting the people you're talking to and not responding to what they say. And speech is protected when that manner of speech is prohibited, just as speech is protected when you're prevented from spray painting over someone else's speech.
User Control Panel > Board preference > Edit display options > Display signatures: No.
Carleas
Magister Ludi

Postby Mictlantecuhtli » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:32 pm

Carleas wrote:
HaHaHa wrote:Protect free speech by censoring others so that only your own point of view or those like it prevails.....

There is a distinction between viewpoint discrimination and what's known in US law as "time, place, and manner" restrictions. For example, expressing the viewpoint that politicians are corrupt is protected; expressing it by spray painting it on a campaign billboard is not.

You were moderated not for your viewpoint (to the extent that your single lines of text effectively convey one), but for the manner in which you express it: by insulting the people you're talking to and not responding to what they say. And speech is protected when that manner of speech is prohibited, just as speech is protected when you're prevented from spray painting over someone else's speech.

Always the lawyer Carleas and your moderating style illustrates just that. Whatever, it's your forum and you're going to do what you like with your hired help anyways. I'm familiar with your perception very much even though I don't agree with it.
Civilization is a ship of fools headed to a one way destination of catastrophe and annihilation, its many captains populated by asshole-idiots that all agree it is unsinkable.

Mictlantecuhtli

Postby Carleas » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:28 pm

HaHaHa wrote:Always the lawyer Carleas...

Always arguing ad hominem...
HaHaHa wrote:...and your moderating style illustrates just that.

Shouldn't moderation be law-like? Shouldn't we be a board of laws, with a robust law-like justification for our interventions? Clearly I'm a partisan of law-like systems, but a system of rules that are applied legalistically seems like the ideal form of moderation. If it isn't, what would be better? Arbitrary intervention? Subjective evaluations of quality?
Carleas
Magister Ludi

Postby Faust » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:14 pm

I post mostly on the Philosophy board, and I can tell you that OH is exceedingly frustrating. He's fairminded, calm and is constantly demonstrating a keen understanding of any and all fields of Western Philosophy. And he's tolerant of the most feeble attempts at making anything remotely like a recognizable philosophical statement. These boards have had some very good mods over the years, but many have given good reasons to complain about them. There is absolutely no good reason to complain about OH.

Which is frustrating.

Maybe because he's a better mod than I ever was.

Crap.
Faust
Unrequited Lover of Wisdom

Postby Mictlantecuhtli » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:17 pm

Carleas wrote:
HaHaHa wrote:Always the lawyer Carleas...

Always arguing ad hominem...
HaHaHa wrote:...and your moderating style illustrates just that.

Shouldn't moderation be law-like? Shouldn't we be a board of laws, with a robust law-like justification for our interventions? Clearly I'm a partisan of law-like systems, but a system of rules that are applied legalistically seems like the ideal form of moderation. If it isn't, what would be better? Arbitrary intervention? Subjective evaluations of quality?

Well, I run my own forum just fine without trying to constrict or limit other people's abilities to express themselves and converse.

You're obviously not going to listen to anything I have to say, so why bother?

Mictlantecuhtli

Postby Mictlantecuhtli » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:19 pm

Faust wrote:I post mostly on the Philosophy board, and I can tell you that OH is exceedingly frustrating. He's fairminded, calm and is constantly demonstrating a keen understanding of any and all fields of Western Philosophy. And he's tolerant of the most feeble attempts at making anything remotely like a recognizable philosophical statement. These boards have had some very good mods over the years, but many have given good reasons to complain about them. There is absolutely no good reason to complain about OH.

Which is frustrating.

Maybe because he's a better mod than I ever was.

Crap.

That's some fine dandy towing the party line there Faust. I'm sure Only_Humean reading that post of yours smiled and appreciates you all that much more....

Mictlantecuhtli

Postby Faust » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:32 pm

I'm equally sure that what I say here is of no real consequence. Just my opinion.
Faust

Postby Carleas » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:36 pm

HaHaHa wrote:Well, I run my own forum just fine without trying to constrict or limit other people's abilities to express themselves and converse.

Conceded, but it's a lot easier when you are your only user.

HaHaHa wrote:You're obviously not going to listen to anything I have to say, so why bother?

What makes you think that's "obvious"? I've read and responded to everything you've said in this thread; you've yet to give reasons for your positions, or to even attempt to respond to my points. While I'm certainly subject to all the failures of the human brain, I make a sincere effort to change my mind in the face of good arguments. So make an argument that isn't just attacking me as a speaker, and see how it goes. I can't promise that I'll change my mind, but I'll certainly read and reflect on what you say, and if I disagree I'll tell you why. Can you say the same?

Faust wrote:I'm equally sure that what I say here is of no real consequence. Just my opinion.

How can you say that? After all, as ILP goes, so goes the world. Your words have been etched on history!
Carleas
Magister Ludi

Postby Faust » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:37 pm

I try not to think about that...
Faust

Postby Mictlantecuhtli » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:17 pm

Faust wrote:I'm equally sure that what I say here is of no real consequence. Just my opinion.

Right.....

Mictlantecuhtli

Postby Mictlantecuhtli » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:19 pm

Carleas: Conceded, but it's a lot easier when you are your only user.

Great forums are not built overnight. They take time to develop where I am very patient.

SickSadWorld forum is not even a year old yet.

Mictlantecuhtli

Previous

Return to Meta