forum software?

What’s the forum software this website uses?

I noticed you can actually edit the Private message AFTER you have sent it, I have never seen that before!..interesting feature!

The answer is phpbb it says at the bottom if anybody else was wondering

Yes, that’s right, sorry for not replying sooner.

And to clarify, PMs can only be edited until they’ve been read. Once the recipient opens the PM, the edit button goes away.

Ah, so it’s still client side in a sense, until read…then it is like a full complete server connection which is irreversible because the information has already been sent at that point. That’s what got me, I was thinking “Sent” meant it actually made that jump, i wondering how it was possible to edit that in real time, but it’s not. Which is strange really because forum posts can actually do that, right? I mean you can edit your post shortly afterwards EVEN if somebody does read the unedited version in the meantime, why not bring that functionality to PM, it might causes a lot of readability problems and distort the flow of conversation, but still…

Yeah, from the back end, ‘sent’ is not really the right word for what’s happening, since there’s no server-to-server or even database-to-database communication. It’s much more like publishing the post to a limited audience.

And I think reason for not allowing after-the-fact editing is that it doesn’t really server a purpose. If it’s already been read by everyone who will ever read it, what’s the use of editing it? Which is not to say we couldn’t come up with a case where such after-the-fact change improves communication, but it’s much easier to come up with ways it could be abused, and the net benefit is either zero or negative.

Ahhh… the eternal influx of “WTF???” feature requests in highly non-trivial software codebases. (Here’s a feature request… see computer, make computer figure out how to stop nuclear armageddon.)

Would be willing to start figuring out how to port ILP into an uber hipster web app. Could be a cool open source project that hooks nicely into my web based OS. (It’s in hardcore startup mode as we speak… okay, maybe actually just mediumcore at the moment. But starting up, it is doing.)