connetion problems

Carleas,

I’ve had problems finding your server using the Domain Naming System. My ISP’s DNS can’t find ilovephilosophy.com so I switched out to a public DNS, from Google, 8.8.8.8 and they don’t have you listed either. If I ping the domain address ilovephilosophy.com it comes back as timing out, server not found.

Neither a ping or tracert will find ilovephilosophy.com

ping ilovephilosophy.com
Ping request could not find host ilovephilosophy.com. Please check the name and try again.

both still respond to typing in the IP address

ping 85.119.83.254

Pinging 85.119.83.254 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 85.119.83.254: bytes=32 time=115ms TTL=50
Reply from 85.119.83.254: bytes=32 time=113ms TTL=50
Reply from 85.119.83.254: bytes=32 time=111ms TTL=50
Reply from 85.119.83.254: bytes=32 time=109ms TTL=50

Ping statistics for 85.119.83.254:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 109ms, Maximum = 115ms, Average = 112ms

tracert 85.119.83.254

Tracing route to science.ilovephilosophy.com [85.119.83.254]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 10 ms 12 ms 12 ms cpe-184-59-224-1.new.res.rr.com [184.59.224.1]
2 34 ms 22 ms 32 ms tge7-6.applwi3001h.midwest.rr.com [24.164.233.21]
3 19 ms 19 ms 22 ms be21.milzwift01r.midwest.rr.com [65.31.113.0]
4 20 ms 18 ms 19 ms bu-ether18.chctilwc00w-bcr00.tbone.rr.com [66.109.6.206]
5 19 ms 19 ms 17 ms 0.ae1.pr0.chi30.tbone.rr.com [66.109.1.78]
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 110 ms 110 ms 112 ms ae-25-52.car5.London1.Level3.net [4.69.139.102]
8 256 ms 232 ms 216 ms ae-25-52.car5.London1.Level3.net [4.69.139.102]
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 109 ms 111 ms 113 ms president.bitfolk.com [85.119.80.16]
11 111 ms 110 ms 110 ms science.ilovephilosophy.com [85.119.83.254]

Trace complete.

This might explain the low number of posts as of late.

Mowk

Yeah, there is definitely a major problem connecting to ILP. The only reason I’m here now is that when something like this happens, I go to ilovephilosophy.com on facebook.

facebook.com/ILovePhilosoph … /timeline/

In the past there has usually been a message from Carleas explaining the situation. This time nothing from him but I did get a message from Mike:

The site is not down just access to finding it through DNS. The IP Address still works. Try typing 85.119.83.254 in your address bar.

I copy/pasted that and here I am.

What I suggest is that everyone go to ilovephilosophy.com on facebook when something like this happens again.

And there is this website address.

It would help if the page on facebook was updated to be current. From the timeline on facebook, a similar tech glitch, “problems with the registrar” took place on October 27 of 2013. facebook.com/permalink.php? … 9964196887

So, yeah, good place to go… if it was updated when a problem occurs.

Update your bookmark to the site ilovephilosophy.com with the IP address 85.119.83.254/ (doesn’t depend on DNS) and this won’t happen again unless the IP address changes.

I think the problem for some of us though is that we do not really understand these “technical” problems. Or these “technical” solutions.

Facebook for me is just a place to go to bump into folks like Mike that do. Otherwise you wouldn’t reading this.

You’re welcome, and thank, errr, “Mike”. :-"

Hmm. Sarcasm?

Look, the bottom line seems to be that most of us are not familiar at all with these technical issues. Otherwise, it would not be just me and you and a couple of others exchanging posts.

For some folks, using this technology is akin to breathing; and your advice [and Mike’s advice] will work. But that doesn’t mean we understand what the hell you are telling us to do.

And had I not gone to facebook, and had Mike not responded to my query about ILP, I would not be posting this now.

The point however is this: will the issue be resolved so that all of the others are back here with us, or will the problem persist such that they leave ILP and move on to other sites.

Or maybe the site will even go defunct. Lots of them I have participated in in the past have.

I hope not. But life is existential. And there is only so much that any particular one of us either understand or control.

I did not mean to intend sarcasm. That Mike guy seems like a nice guy to have helped you out, and ‘you’ are back at least, that seems the point, and there are a few others who’ve figured it out. It takes all kinds to make the world go round. :wink:

Anyway, the important thing is that the problem gets fixed or ILP is going to start losing members. It’s still just a handful of us posting. And it’s been two days now. Is Carleas aware of the problem? Is something being done to fix it? I assume lots of longstanding ILP member are still not able to join the discussions. Either that or collectively they all decided to stop posting here at the same time.

Also, for the first time ever I have to log in every time I come to ILP. Even though I check the log me in automatically box. Technical difficulties. They need to be fixed.

Carleas is aware of the problem.

Just out of curiosity…

Over at KT in the dungeon there is this:

knowthyself.forumotion.net/t1942-ilp

And yesterday this from Satyr:

What happened to your numbers, dear ILPers?!!!
You, who once bragged about how many members and views and posts you have, in comparison to the meagre amounts of KT, and based your self-evaluation on them…looooook now!!!
HA!!!
You, who use numbers, popularity, quantities, to judge who is better and who is worse, who is above and who is below, who is worth your attentions and who to dismiss, looook now!!!

I’m thinking maybe the technical difficulties here at ILP are the result of a “hack” job. If you get my drift. On the other hand, the Goat Man needs the likes of ILPers. We are, after all, the slaves [the “retards”] to his master class at KT.

This is the first time I’v gotten on in a couple of days and I have
tried several times a day. I have zip, zero, nada technical knowledge,
so I can’t help you.

Kropotkin

That’s basically my point. Many of us are out of the loop when it comes to these “technical difficulties”. So, is there a way for Carleas to inform ILP members when something like this happens? I go here: facebook.com/ILovePhilosoph … /timeline/

It’s a place where discussion about ILP can unfold. It’s a place where Carleas can keep members informed about problems of this sort. Or maybe there is another way – email?

It seems to have happened or shortly after the time I was banned for 24 hours, which extended into about three days.

Perhaps the ‘banner’ banned the whole site instead of the three people that it was intended for.

I just sent Carleas info on how to fix the site. Its very important he does both ASAP.

Creepy how small the internet is, they’ve noted this forum was done for on my favorite philology site, was scratching my head in trying to figure out who else is from both places. Better not be Magsj or Only Humean.

Yep… forum dying. Just taking a final gloat look around as it all burns. Wish SIATD was here to see this. Or for that matter, any if the good posters wrongfully banned over the years.

I doubt Ill have this weird as shit 85.119.83.254 web address memorized so if he doesn’t get it fixed, oh well. I sent Careless the link he needs to fix it. Just follow BOTH DIRECTIONS.

Honestly… who the fuck is the other philologist here?

Is there even a remote possibility that you might be wrong? No, of course not.

As though anyone is actually required to come here!

Sure, ILP might bite the dust. But, please: spare us your first-person-omniscient account of why it probably should.

Oh, and anytime you would like to discuss the relevance of philosophy [not to mention its limitations] out in, say, the world that we live in, I’ll give it a go. If nothing else, you can show us how a serious philosopher plies his craft.

After all, you cannot possibly be any more inept at it than…Satyr?

I mean, look what I have reduced him down to of late. :wink:

I’ve administered two networks in my life, one work related and one home relate so you pickup a few things up along the way. This problem is way beyond a site administrator.

It’s a flaw in the backbone of how the internet operates. So I mention DNS, and in laymen terms that’ is like a post office with a strange addressing system. The internet uses these addresses with an acronym IP (Internet Protocol) So it’s basically an agreement between computers on how information will be addressed and depends on an as well agreed upon Transfer or Transport Protocol, (laymen) how the data will be transmitted. An IP Address can be broken down into classes. It’s four numbers ranging from 0 to 255 with periods separating the classes. So the first number divides all internet traffic into 256 nodes, from there the traffic is again divided into 256 nodes and again divided into 256 nodes and finally one more time to end up in your web browser or email inbox. Each discreet node on the internet has a specific IP address. At this point your personal network can also subdivide your local network into a subnet, also limited to a maximum of 255 sub nodes. And to understand why this 255 number is so descriptive in the process is to realize it is the binary result of 2 discreet options raised to the number of memory cells allocated to track them. An “on” or “off” signal raised to the eighth digit or 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2=256. A zero is a real number to a computer the zero is the first digit making 255 the 256th digit. Even though our current computer operating systems are based on a 64 bit system the internet is still reliant on the original eight bit system and it’s addressing system hasn’t changed in 30 years. That’s gonna cause some problems down the line.

All of this layer is numerically addressed at the IP Address level. Riding on top of this, as a sort of supper addressing layer is the Domain Name System DNS and all sorts of computers that share in participation of that responsibility. The responsibility of the Domain Naming System is to keep track of a registered domain name (essentially a sub-branch of a computer network connected to the internet and how it is connected) and it’s logical IP address. When you type ilovephilosophy.com the domain name system converts your query to the logical address to make the connection to the IP address 85.119.83.254/ and to what ever sub-directory that exists under that branch.

This is the level that the system is not working on. Click your shortcut which is defined as a domain name and the dns system isn’t connecting to the site’s logical address.

@ “Iambigous” Because you are now accessing the site through a different internet branch your log in isn’t working. As soon as the site is back up normally I will help you get back your normal log in. The directions provided were a “shortcut” in and as soon as the DNS system is registering ILP properly the fix I provided will likely do you no good service. I had intended it as a short term stop gap.

As I mentioned this problem exists a level above Carleas’ control so it’s not like he can just snap his fingers and make it done. He has got to deal with other peoples schedules.

You learn about what interests you. Those that beg the ignorance card have the entire internet at their disposal to understand. In a way one could argue if you do not understand you just don’t give a shit. I really have to try to think differently as that would seem the fairest thing to do.

I was able to bring up and log in as from today, but to be on the safe side did not close the page again, minimised it.

There is or was a problem, but that doesn’t mean ILP will sail into oblivion, in fact it made me appreciate it more.

IT over at KT pretends he is not interested in this Forum and look how he can’t stop talking about it.

The man is obsessed with ILP.

Be patient it will be repaired and hopefully the corruptive source will be identified.

Oh and just in case you are wondering when the registrations system has been resolved click this link: ilovephilosophy.com if you reconnect to the site the problem has been resolved if you run into an error the powers that be are still working on it.

May the zen run through your veins.

And as long as we’re on the subject. When each of us registered with this site, we provided an email address. The Administrative tools of a php driven website surely provide a tool to email all registrants. If it comes down to it Carleas has the data record of every member that has registered to this site. A Send To All registered email tool is likely a part of the administrative capacity of a php driven web site.

If there were a concern Carleas has a means.

And this is his hobby. When ever does a hobby take precedence over the ‘real’ of life?