connetion problems

I was able to bring up and log in as from today, but to be on the safe side did not close the page again, minimised it.

There is or was a problem, but that doesn’t mean ILP will sail into oblivion, in fact it made me appreciate it more.

IT over at KT pretends he is not interested in this Forum and look how he can’t stop talking about it.

The man is obsessed with ILP.

Be patient it will be repaired and hopefully the corruptive source will be identified.

Oh and just in case you are wondering when the registrations system has been resolved click this link: ilovephilosophy.com if you reconnect to the site the problem has been resolved if you run into an error the powers that be are still working on it.

May the zen run through your veins.

And as long as we’re on the subject. When each of us registered with this site, we provided an email address. The Administrative tools of a php driven website surely provide a tool to email all registrants. If it comes down to it Carleas has the data record of every member that has registered to this site. A Send To All registered email tool is likely a part of the administrative capacity of a php driven web site.

If there were a concern Carleas has a means.

And this is his hobby. When ever does a hobby take precedence over the ‘real’ of life?

Turd, I’m the other philologist.

Oh, and over at KTS?

WTF?

Big deal. Huh?

Man; to see two completely unrelated events as to “cause” being remotely connected.

tangent and logically unrelated. But there are them emotions to contend with.

I cannot get to ILP using internet explorer. If Lady K had not given me an address at MI, I wouldn’t be here today. Posting at ILP is part of my morning rituals. I’d hate not being able to do so.

Thanks for the explanation above. Though, as you might imagine, it is still far, far over my head.

But, if nothing else, the log in problem has prompted me to finally memorize the password ILP gave me.

I was never suggesting in any way that Carleas be held “responsible” for this. On the contrary, most of us are entirely grateful that he enables us to exchange our thoughts and feelings here on a daily basis. And I like the forum precisely because it allows for both “serious philosophy” and any and all manner of, shall we say, more “existential” renditions of “speaking your mind”.

I don’t think of it as “begging the ignorance card” so much as merely acknowledging that most of us are ignorant of any number things pertaining to our lives from day to day. We are ignorant of how to fix our cars when they break down, or how to repair our gadgets when they stop working. In other words, many of us excel at things that others are ignorant of. That’s just the way our “division of labor” economy works in the modern world.

From my point of view, it’s not a matter of “giving a shit” as it is the constraints on your time. You only have so many hours in the day to deal with all of your many responsibilities. On and off the job. Some take the time to understand computer technology for any number of personal and professional reasons and others do not. I suspect it will always be that way.

And that’s assuming I am not completely misunderstanding your point. Which, of course, happens a lot here. :wink:

Just to note…

When I click on the links in my signature I get this:
[size=150]
Oops! Internet Explorer could not find ilovephilosophy.com[/size]

Ug.

The site was down because the domain name wasn’t directing to the nameservers, which was out of my hands. I finally got an acknowledgement of the problem this morning, and it looks to be working.

I’d like to say it’s not my fault, but this is not the first time some mickey mouse bullshit like this on the part of the registrar has take down ILP, and as they say, “fool me once…”

Damn…

I thought someone…a certain someone…managed to have the site deleted.

i must admit, i was imagining a few conspiracy scenarios myself, like a team of KTS operatives sabotaging the server.

I think if we’re ever hacked, it will probably be either some unbalanced and unaffiliated former member, or else (more likely) a Russian gang just interested in using our server to run a botnet.

That would be awesome. It would be taking forum philosophy wars to a whole nuther level. Just now I see in my head a sketch comedy scene.

Mad forum addict paces back and forth in his living room with his google glasses on and in a live chat-box talking to his elite circle of friends through google voice, vowing to take revenge against a moderator at another philosophy forum who thinks Kripke is too spurious and Cantor’s diagonizational argument doesn’t do shit to Godel’s incompleteness theorem, with a carefully engineered forum virus that irreversibly changes every third sentence in every new post to: a box of minced McBiscuits, a box of mixed minced McBiscuits and a minced McBiscuit mixer.

You can believe if I knew how to do something like this, Id’a dunnit already.

I think that having members email accounts may help in such cases if members are willing to share.

With love,
Sanjay

Carleas, or anyone concerned. I have had problems posting, where the comment propped up: General error, MySQL. See administrator. What is the meaning of this?

It is likely that MySQL is still misconfigured, and that a heavier-than-usual load broke it and it timed out rather than completing your request. I always thought there should be a utility where you plug in your specs and needs and it spits out a proper configuration, but it’s either too nuanced, or the people who are tuning servers generally know what they’re doing enough not to need such a thing. In any case, I’ll keep playing with it and see if I can prevent that from happening in the future.

Thank You, Carleas

A couple of days ago I tried to log in and it said (not in these words but something similar) too many people, like a thousand on line try again later.

Well that’s not a bad thing is it.

How many online? :open_mouth:

Too busy to connect.

Try again later.

I thought it said that number, I was astounded also.

Something about the site exceeded its capacity.

Does that makes sense?