59%
no, keep her out
41%

Total votes : 22

Re: Petition to unban lys

Postby phoneutria » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:53 am

Zoot Allures wrote:
saucerful of secrets

A band typo. They meant to spell it like I did. A Saucer Full of Secrets. I read this in a rock journal.

[ crosses fingers ]

No way I'm going to go music dork on these particular forums. I am apparently lust waiting for an opportunity to say something smart.
That's just my reply to favorite pf album question.
phoneutria
purveyor of enchantment, advocate of pulchritude AND venomously disarming

Postby Zoot Allures » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:57 am

Artimas: Well it depends on how many times you've listened to these albums. After the 362nd time you have to move on. There is only one musician you can listen to forever without becoming a retard, and that is the Maestro; Mr. Frank Vincent Zappa. You're not ready for him yet, though.

A true story: in 1987 my father parachuted into the Floyd show in Raleigh, N.C. as part of the opening act. He had colored smoke canisters on his feet and swirled around over the crowd as he came down. Pretty fuckin' cool, right? Well let me tell you what wasn't pretty fuckin' cool. At that time I was locked up in a private mental hospital called Holly Hill. The sonofabitch called me from the concert to tell me what a wonderful time he was having. I'm sitting in the day room with a bunch of teenage nut jobs watching reruns on TV and playing foos ball. The staff calls me out and says my dad's on the phone. He tells me the marijuana smoke was so thick he caught a contact buzz on the way down. Tells me the laser light show was fantastic. In the background I can hear them jamming.

Can you believe that? What an asshole, right?

Sounds to me like you're just a hater bro.. seem like a fucking leftsider.

No, I'm a darksider... of the moon.
Zoot Allures
Philosopher

Postby Artimas » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:04 am

Zoot Allures wrote:Artimas: Well it depends on how many times you've listened to these albums. After the 362nd time you have to move on. There is only one musician you can listen to forever without becoming a retard, and that is the Maestro; Mr. Frank Vincent Zappa. You're not ready for him yet, though.

A true story: in 1987 my father parachuted into the Floyd show in Raleigh, N.C. as part of the opening act. He had colored smoke canisters on his feet and swirled around over the crowd as he came down. Pretty fuckin' cool, right? Well let me tell you what wasn't pretty fuckin' cool. At that time I was locked up in a private mental hospital called Holly Hill. The sonofabitch called me from the concert to tell me what a wonderful time he was having. I'm sitting in the day room with a bunch of teenage nut jobs watching reruns on TV and playing foos ball. The staff calls me out and says my dad's on the phone. He tells me the marijuana smoke was so thick he caught a contact buzz on the way down. Tells me the laser light show was fantastic. In the background I can hear them jamming.

Can you believe that? What an asshole, right?

Sounds to me like you're just a hater bro.. seem like a fucking leftsider.

No, I'm a darksider... of the moon.

I listen to a lot of different music. Not just Pink Floyd. Also, yes that does sound like a dick move. Rofl a darksider.

Even nothing, is something.
If one is to live balanced with expectations, then one must learn to appreciate the negative as well, to respect darkness in its own home.

All smoke fades, as do all delicate mirrors shatter.

"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.

Image Image
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars

Postby Mr Reasonable » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:14 am

division bell ftw
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby phoneutria » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:23 am

*just

autocorrect, I swear
phoneutria

Postby phoneutria » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:16 am

Yo lyssa I thought this was going to be a slam dunk. Gotta work on your PR babeh.

And it is not gilmore, it's gilmour.
phoneutria

Postby Orbie » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:43 am

Granted, her edge is dwindling, but the gal still has a very good chance of beating the odds.
[size=50][/size]Allone's Obe issance

In answer to your prayer
sincere, the centre of
your circle here,
i stand ; and , without
taking thought,-
i know nothing. But i can

Full well your need-as
you be men
This: Re-Creation. With a
bow,
Then, your obedient

servant now.
One gift is all i find in me,
And that is faithful
memory
Orbie
partly cloudy, with a few showers

Postby phoneutria » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:17 pm

Arbiter of Change wrote:
phoneutria wrote:No. You explain to me how this thread contains a fallacy of equivocation. Please be specific.

Sure.

Let not the irony escape you, folks, that the people who are always criticizing modern society for leveling things down to a common denominator, are the people now crying that they don't get the same rights as everyone. The people advocating for a society of elitism and preference, in this case are thinking that they could use some equality.

In both bolded parts you refer to the same type of people, if I am not mistaken.
In the first bolded part, you refer to equal(same) rights - which is equality of opportunity.

In the second bolded part, you seem to be implying that elitism and preference are somehow incompatible with equality, but since elitism and preference are compatible with equality of opportunity (all have equal opportunity to prove themselves, and based on this they become elite/are preferred), I interpret that as you talking about equality of outcome.
Another reason I think you're talking about equality of outcome in this, second instance: The ones who use the word equality in a positive sense in modern times are almost always those who by equality mean equality of outcome - this means giving people different rights and opportunities, either more, in order to compensate for their genetic, natural deficiencies, or depriving them of rights so as to prevent their genetic, natural advantages to manifest in reality. Example: Affirmative action (prefering one race/sex over another), a fixed number of spots in some job that has to be occupied by a demographic X, etc.

Unrelated to this, just something I want to comment on too:

Those of you who do think that equality is good and that democracy is the way should definitely vote a yes.

A democracy is an equality of outcome based system - regardless of your intelligence and education, your vote counts the same as everybody else's, aka, the outcome is the same.
An equality of opportunity based system would try to account for people's inherent inequalities in voting so everybody would f.e. take a test which would determine how informed they are about politics, how knowledgeable they are about economics and politics, and how intelligent they are, and take all those into account to determine how much their vote would be worth. Of course, this is a much more complex system that is harder to set up, but hardly anything can be as bad as everybody's vote counting equally.

Equality of opportunity: everyone who obbeys the rules and tos can post.
Equality of outcome: "I want to push the limits and do things that I have been warned against, but I don't want to be denied the right to post." In other words, that the rules should conform to me.
phoneutria

Postby AutSider » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:30 pm

So what do you call it when the rules are claimed to be equal for all, but then people are treated unequally, the rules are suddenly all grey, and some get warned and banned for doing X while others do X and don't get banned because of ideological reasons, which are then attempted to be concealed under the 'grey area' excuse?
AutSider
BANNED

Postby phoneutria » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:33 pm

I call it "not a democracy".
phoneutria

Postby AutSider » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:35 pm

It has nothing to do with democracy. It could be that the banned ones are a minority, and that the majority agree that they should be banned, thus the decision was made in spirit of democracy.
AutSider
BANNED

Postby Mr Reasonable » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:05 am

Arbiter of Change wrote:So what do you call it when the rules are claimed to be equal for all, but then people are treated unequally, the rules are suddenly all grey, and some get warned and banned for doing X while others do X and don't get banned because of ideological reasons, which are then attempted to be concealed under the 'grey area' excuse?

You call it the real world and then you tell people to grow up and deal with it.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby Arminius » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:34 pm

Last week I read one of Lyssa's KT posts and wanted to respond to it by an ILP private message, but I think she can't open private messages coming from ILP. So I respond by this post.

Lyssa wrote:I almost forgot, but a note of thanks to Arminius for his unexpected support.

I hope you get to read this.
=>#

Yes. Thank you very much, Lyssa.

I hope you will come back to ILP, and I also hope you get to read this.
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Orbie » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:05 am

The distinction is well noted, as between de-jure and de-facto applications of law. The trend is shifting toward de-facto.
[size=50][/size]Allone's Obe issance

In answer to your prayer
sincere, the centre of
your circle here,
i stand ; and , without
taking thought,-
i know nothing. But i can

Full well your need-as
you be men
This: Re-Creation. With a
bow,
Then, your obedient

servant now.
One gift is all i find in me,
And that is faithful
memory
Orbie
partly cloudy, with a few showers

Postby Arminius » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:58 pm

Orbie wrote:The distinction is well noted, as between de-jure and de-facto applications of law. The trend is shifting toward de-facto.

Which case do you mean?
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Only_Humean » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:43 am

I was away while the vote was going on. So call it 13 to 10.

I'd just like to say that this was hardly a capricious decision. See rule 3.3 -
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=175550
That rule's been written down and stuck on the top of the Philosophy forum for over 4 years.

It was also not unannounced - Lyssa was explicitly given a warning by PM on the nature and gravity of the matter a couple of months ago, after her first breaches.

The biology of purpose keeps my nose above the surface.
- Brian Eno
Only_Humean
ILP Legend

Postby James S Saint » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:09 am

Well, if you are going to count votes after the deadline, you can make it 14:9. 8)
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby Only_Humean » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:08 pm

James S Saint wrote:Well, if you are going to count votes after the deadline, you can make it 14:9. 8)

Oh? You have the power to remove mine, then? :wink:

The biology of purpose keeps my nose above the surface.
- Brian Eno
Only_Humean
ILP Legend

Postby Magnus Anderson » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:53 pm

Let not the irony escape you, folks, that the people who are always criticizing modern society for leveling things down to a common denominator, are the people now crying that they don't get the same rights as everyone. The people advocating for a society of elitism and preference, in this case are thinking that they could use some equality.

You are such a stupid person, aren't you? They aren't asking for equality, you dumb fuck, they are making fun of the inner workings of your psychology.
I got a philosophy degree, I'm not upset that I can't find work as a philosopher. It was my decision, and I knew that it wasn't a money making degree, so I get money elsewhere.
-- Mr. Reasonable
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher

Postby phoneutria » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:58 pm

whereas I am dead serious, right?
phoneutria

Postby Magnus Anderson » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:06 pm

whatever you are you are also a dumb fuck.
I got a philosophy degree, I'm not upset that I can't find work as a philosopher. It was my decision, and I knew that it wasn't a money making degree, so I get money elsewhere.
-- Mr. Reasonable
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher

Postby phoneutria » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:18 pm

Dumb fuck? What the fuck is this, preschool? Did you just learn new word and your trashy mom thought it was cute instead of smacking it out of you? Preschool level come back here, ladies and gents, get yours while it's still hot.
phoneutria

Postby iambiguous » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:24 pm

phoneutria wrote:Dumb fuck? What the fuck is this, preschool? Did you just learn new word and your trashy mom thought it was cute instead of smacking it out of you? Preschool level come back here, ladies and gents, get yours while it's still hot.

Not to worry. He doesn't like me either.

You know, even less than you do. :wink:

Oh, and of course: Bring back Lys! Bring back Lys! Bring back Lys!
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby James S Saint » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:54 am

Only_Humean wrote:
James S Saint wrote:Well, if you are going to count votes after the deadline, you can make it 14:9. 8)

Oh? You have the power to remove mine, then? :wink:

What do you mean?
I just did. :mrgreen:
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
James S Saint
ILP Legend

Previous

Return to Meta