Dan should not continue as MODERATOR

A forum about the forums

Moderator: Carleas

Re: Dan should not continue as MODERATOR

Postby Carleas » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:10 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:THINK AGAIN!!!!
Read my post above (and his quote) and hopefully you will not make excuses for him.

You are right, I did not see his later post. Only his first two posts in the thread had been flagged using the 'report post' feature.

I agree that the later post looks every bit like racism, and I am disappointed in that.

Arcturus Descending wrote:I don't think that a moderator should voice his opinions - I mean his personal opinions, beliefs, idealogies about what is being said, about the subject matter. He is there ONLY to moderate.

This isn't how moderating works, it isn't how it should work.
For one thing, moderators are volunteers, making moderation into a gag order would mean severely limiting the pool of people willing to moderate; it's hard enough to find trustworthy people willing to moderate without such a restriction.

For another, we generally ask the best members we have to moderate. If that meant they couldn't participate in discussion any more, every moderator we recruit would be cutting the top off of our discussion, it would be completely counterproductive to what moderation is supposed to achieve. Dan was chosen democratically, and I don't think the people who voted for him were attempting to communicate that they wanted him silenced.

It is troubling when the opinions expressed by moderators are distasteful, but there's seldom an idea that some user doesn't find distasteful. If the concern is partiality, it's certainly better that Dan should be encouraged to share his ideas; if he is targeting black members for moderation, it will be significantly easier to spot if we know him to be a racist.

If instead the concern is that he will reflect badly on the site, I'm sure that is the case. But as much as I think Dan is wrong, and as much as I hope to find out that we are misunderstanding what he wrote, I take a very hard line when it come to the freedom to express ideas: I won't decide what people have to believe in order to participate here, not as members and not as moderators.

If Dan is abusing his position as a moderator, I won't hesitate to remove him. If he just has bad ideas, he is free to express those ideas, however wrong, however backwards, however that makes us look.
User Control Panel > Board preference > Edit display options > Display signatures: No.
Carleas
Magister Ludi
 
Posts: 5802
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:10 pm
Location: Washington DC, USA

Re: Dan should not continue as MODERATOR

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:10 pm

Arbiter of Change wrote:
He might be really interested but what I mean by "disinterested" is not taking part in it. Look up "disinterest".


My apologies - you are right about that. I confused disinterested and uninterested. Everything else, you are wrong :wink:


Well, then, lol, I really don't know what to say here. If the below is not racist, than something is wrong with my brain. Somehow though, to me, this reaks of racism. Maybe you need to read it a few more times.

EVEN if he felt he was making a joke, being casual about this, to me, it's still racist and even more so tragic because racism still runs rampant in the world. In my view, it is way out of line. Now you may not see it and I don't know what else to say about that, but I'm more concerned with Dan seeing it anyway.
Having said that, I don't want him discontinued as a moderator but I do think that even moderators need to be called on the carpet for certain things they say.



by Dan~ » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:15 pm

The problem is that blacks are chimpy and that they don't believe it, when they should believe it, since we are supposedto be truthy moreso than chimpy.

If not for truth, then for what else should we post or think about?

Either they are going to help keep the store prices medium high for bananas and popcorn,
or if they leave the country, they will stir up antinigs elsewhere, then go on matches,
break coffee shops, eat each other, etc.



As far as being wrong about other things, though in this case, I don't see something necessarily as right or wrong, but I was actually re-considering what I said about a moderator and their involvement in the threads.

Maybe I was confining them too much outside of posting. I think that an occasional post or more so to push a thread forward, to make some comments -- but comments which do not speak of and further their own opinions, beliefs, idealogies -- would be permissible. Now i know that would require some finesse but nevertheless....within the forum where he'/she moderates, I still personally feel that disinterest has to be maintained.

I don't know what the rule of thumb is in another moderator's thread - if a moderator from Religion let's say, can post what they want (within reason and without ad homs and insults) in the Philosophy section.
"Look closely. The beautiful may be small."


"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."


“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15438
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Dan should not continue as MODERATOR

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:33 pm

Carleas wrote:
Arcturus Descending wrote:THINK AGAIN!!!!
Read my post above (and his quote) and hopefully you will not make excuses for him.

You are right, I did not see his later post. Only his first two posts in the thread had been flagged using the 'report post' feature.

I agree that the later post looks every bit like racism, and I am disappointed in that.

Arcturus Descending wrote:I don't think that a moderator should voice his opinions - I mean his personal opinions, beliefs, idealogies about what is being said, about the subject matter. He is there ONLY to moderate.

This isn't how moderating works, it isn't how it should work.
For one thing, moderators are volunteers, making moderation into a gag order would mean severely limiting the pool of people willing to moderate; it's hard enough to find trustworthy people willing to moderate without such a restriction.

For another, we generally ask the best members we have to moderate. If that meant they couldn't participate in discussion any more, every moderator we recruit would be cutting the top off of our discussion, it would be completely counterproductive to what moderation is supposed to achieve. Dan was chosen democratically, and I don't think the people who voted for him were attempting to communicate that they wanted him silenced.

It is troubling when the opinions expressed by moderators are distasteful, but there's seldom an idea that some user doesn't find distasteful. If the concern is partiality, it's certainly better that Dan should be encouraged to share his ideas; if he is targeting black members for moderation, it will be significantly easier to spot if we know him to be a racist.

If instead the concern is that he will reflect badly on the site, I'm sure that is the case. But as much as I think Dan is wrong, and as much as I hope to find out that we are misunderstanding what he wrote, I take a very hard line when it come to the freedom to express ideas: I won't decide what people have to believe in order to participate here, not as members and not as moderators.

If Dan is abusing his position as a moderator, I won't hesitate to remove him. If he just has bad ideas, he is free to express those ideas, however wrong, however backwards, however that makes us look.



Hi Carleas

I didn't see this. Actually, our posts were put in here simultaneously.
I was actually going to apologize to you here so I will. I am sorry. I came on a bit too strong with my THINK AGAIN. I might have toned it down a bit. Believe it or not, as I was posting that to you, I almost felt like a raging she-dragon so I did tone it down a bit but not as much as I would want.

As I said, I don't want Dan expelled from being a moderator.
I also will not bother to take the time to explain my thoughts and feelings about how I see a moderator interacting in here. I did bring them up with AofC in my above post.
But bottom line, this is your forum and your choice of how the moderators will be. Reading what you wrote, I am capable of seeing the practical wisdom of allowing the freedom which you do.

At the same time...

But as much as I think Dan is wrong, and as much as I hope to find out that we are misunderstanding what he wrote


lol Spoken like a true lawyer :P
Hope does reign eternal doesn't it? Insofar as the quote which I inserted in here, for me at least, there can be no misunderstanding.

....I take a very hard line when it come to the freedom to express ideas: I won't decide what people have to believe in order to participate here, not as members and not as moderators.


There is a difference, Carleas, between the freedom to express ideas (in this case demeaning racist ones) and the freedom to believe them as long as those beliefs are not expressed and do not infringe on the individual, human equality and rights of a person.
Freedom of speech in my book doesn't mean total freedom to say what we want - it carries a responsibility with it and within this forum it is up to you to judicially discern and say what can or cannot be said - albeit you did see what Dan said as being racist.
"Look closely. The beautiful may be small."


"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."


“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15438
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Dan should not continue as MODERATOR

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:40 pm

Just as little sidebar here...

lol #-o I thought that our posts had been put in here simiutaneously For some reason, I read 10:10 on mine too.

On another note, i meant to say judiciously not judicially though both words maybe work.

I don't plan to be back again for another correction. :mrgreen:
"Look closely. The beautiful may be small."


"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."


“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15438
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Dan should not continue as MODERATOR

Postby Carleas » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:41 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:I was actually going to apologize to you here so I will. I am sorry. I came on a bit too strong with my THINK AGAIN. I might have toned it down a bit. Believe it or not, as I was posting that to you, I almost felt like a raging she-dragon so I did tone it down a bit but not as much as I would want.

Absolutely no need to apologize. I missed perhaps the crucial post to understanding this whole topic, you were right to point it out as forcefully as needed, and I appreciate it.


Arcturus Descending wrote:Insofar as the quote which I inserted in here, for me at least, there can be no misunderstanding.

That the post should be read as racist and upsetting is clear. But the extrapolation from that to what Dan was thinking as he wrote it is must less so. Was he seething hatred, or just too drunk to see how inappropriate a bad joke was? I think there's a difference between these, and I hope, eternally, naively, for the latter.

Arcturus Descending wrote:There is a difference, Carleas, between the freedom to express ideas (in this case demeaning racist ones) and the freedom to believe them as long as those beliefs are not expressed and do not infringe on the individual, human equality and rights of a person.
Freedom of speech in my book doesn't mean total freedom to say what we want - it carries a responsibility with it and within this forum it is up to you to judicially discern and say what can or cannot be said - albeit you did see what Dan said as being racist.

I think that's true in many contexts. In a school room, in a workplace, in a church, there are lot of things that shouldn't be said, and it's reasonable to restrict people's speech. On a philosophy forum, I don't think that's the case. Questions about what makes a person a person, what gives them rights, dignity, moral worth, when and why should we treat them equally -- those are all the domain of philosophy. To restrict what can be said here is to say that we can discuss those questions only so long as no one offers the answers that the majority of the western world finds to be really, really, obviously bad answers. But the majority of the western world has been wrong frequently, even on these very questions.

In the search for truth, we must have the courage to look at repulsive ideas long enough to explain why they're wrong.
User Control Panel > Board preference > Edit display options > Display signatures: No.
Carleas
Magister Ludi
 
Posts: 5802
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:10 pm
Location: Washington DC, USA

Re: Dan should not continue as MODERATOR

Postby James S Saint » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:35 pm

Uccisore wrote:When did "paraphrase" start meaning "lie'"? Is that some new hipster slang I'm not up on?

I suspect shortly after ILP opened. :-"

Actually, I am a bit disappointed. I was expecting someone to complain of his absenteeism (but then FJ would have to be included). But I guess there is no rule that says that moderators have to actually moderate. That would be silly.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 25976
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Dan should not continue as MODERATOR

Postby MagsJ » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:56 pm

I keep an eye on R&S in Dan~'s absence, and to a lesser extent on SS in FJ's...
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get that time back, and I may need it for something at some point in time. Wait! What?

--MagsJ
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist
 
Posts: 18246
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: London, NC1

Re: Dan should not continue as MODERATOR

Postby James S Saint » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:15 am

MagsJ wrote:I keep an eye on R&S in Dan~'s absence, and to a lesser extent on SS in FJ's...

Yeah .. that's why we need an actual moderator .. or not.
.. doesn't really matter that much any more.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 25976
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Dan should not continue as MODERATOR

Postby GreatandWiseTrixie » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:49 am

Face the facts. White people look different than black people, and white people are on average better at math than black people. Does this make me racist? No. I believe that both white people and black people are worthy of some sexi 'lovin.

I vote Trixie as moderator. Noble, just, great, and powerful.

As Satyr says
Satyr wrote:Race is but the start.
Decay is having an effect upon all bloodlines.

Race simply signifies a lower or higher potential for a particular trait.
There may very well be negroes who are far more noble than the average European.
I am losing my mind to mandess.
User avatar
GreatandWiseTrixie
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2136
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Dan should not continue as MODERATOR

Postby Mr Reasonable » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:54 am

Arbiter of Change wrote:First rule of philosophy. Or was it the reverse, and one should address what is said instead of attacking the person?



Wrong.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 25926
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Dan should not continue as MODERATOR

Postby Dan~ » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:27 am

I was hoping the sarcasm would be funny.
I didn't guess or foresee it becoming offensive.
I'm blindsided by this thread, for example.

I admit there is differences in a generalized average of IQ, of one person from one race to another.

That doesn't mean a black man is less valuable, or less lovable.
Just like how dogs can be really respectible and noble even though they are dogs.
If you give kibble to stray dogs, it only stands to reason that black people could use some food and care too.
Not that all blacks are poor, or nice. I'm not saying that.
But they are easily as valid as animals, if you are like some whom believe that animals are almost equal to humans in value.
Or they could be equal. Who knows perfectly?

I'd visit more often if the threads were more useful or interesting.
And again, im not saying the threads are useless, but they are not "fitting" my interests.
I like http://www.accuradio.com , internet radio.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting two of my free game projects.
User avatar
Dan~
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10063
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:14 am
Location: May the loving spirit of papa hitler watch over and bless you all.

Re: Dan should not continue as MODERATOR

Postby GreatandWiseTrixie » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:34 am

Dan~ wrote:I admit there is differences in a generalized average of IQ, of one person from one race to another.
That doesn't mean a black man is less valuable, or less lovable.
Just like how dogs can be really respectible and noble even though they are dogs.
If you give kibble to stray dogs, it only stands to reason that black people could use some food and care too.

Quoted for future hilarity.
I am losing my mind to mandess.
User avatar
GreatandWiseTrixie
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2136
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Dan should not continue as MODERATOR

Postby AutSider » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:25 am

That doesn't mean a black man is less valuable, or less lovable.
Just like how dogs can be really respectible and noble even though they are dogs.
If you give kibble to stray dogs, it only stands to reason that black people could use some food and care too.
Not that all blacks are poor, or nice. I'm not saying that.
But they are easily as valid as animals, if you are like some whom believe that animals are almost equal to humans in value.
Or they could be equal. Who knows perfectly?


:-k

Meanwhile, Dan is all like: O:)
User avatar
AutSider
BANNED
 
Posts: 3337
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:04 pm

Re: Dan should not continue as MODERATOR

Postby Carleas » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:40 pm

Image
User Control Panel > Board preference > Edit display options > Display signatures: No.
Carleas
Magister Ludi
 
Posts: 5802
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:10 pm
Location: Washington DC, USA

Re: Dan should not continue as MODERATOR

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:27 pm

Carleas wrote:Image




An innuendo is an insinuation or intimation about a person or thing, especially of a disparaging or a derogatory nature. It can also be a remark or question, typically disparaging (also called insinuation), that works obliquely by allusion. In the latter sense the intention is often to insult or accuse someone in such a way that one's words, taken literally, are innocent.


Carleas, do you get it now? Maybe yes maybe no.
Sometimes people hide in plain sight - sometimes not.
"Look closely. The beautiful may be small."


"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."


“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15438
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Dan should not continue as MODERATOR

Postby phoneutria » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:54 pm

This thread is awesome.
phoneutria
purveyor of enchantment, advocate of pulchritude AND venomously disarming
 
Posts: 2733
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 5:37 am

Re: Dan should not continue as MODERATOR

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:03 pm

phoneutria wrote:This thread is awesome.


Weren't you going to change your username title? What happened? :mrgreen:
"Look closely. The beautiful may be small."


"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."


“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15438
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Dan should not continue as MODERATOR

Postby statiktech » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:10 pm

Dan shouldn't go anywhere, nor should he be attacked based on the inferences of some overly sensitive individuals. Anyone who has been around here long enough knows that Dan has an odd way of expressing himself at times. That's not a bad thing. In fact, it makes him all the more interesting. It can, however, lead to some misunderstandings and some unintended inferences. I think his latest reply is evidence enough of that.

If you actually believe any of what he's said, as odd as it may seem, was purposely or even implicitly malicious, I assure you you're almost certainly wrong. If you disagree with what he's said, that's fine, but I most seriously doubt any of it was meant to be inflammatory or demeaning.
"Man is the animal that laughs at himself."
—Robert A Heinlein
User avatar
statiktech
SonOfABitchBastard
 
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 8:53 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Dan should not continue as MODERATOR

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:23 pm

statiktech wrote:Dan shouldn't go anywhere, nor should he be attacked based on the inferences of some overly sensitive individuals. Anyone who has been around here long enough knows that Dan sometimes has an odd way of expressing himself at times. That's not a bad thing. In fact, it makes him all the more interesting. It can, however, lead to some misunderstandings and some unintended inferences. I think his latest reply is evidence enough of that.

If you actually believe any of what he's said, as odd as it may seem, was purposely or even implicitly malicious, I assure you you're almost certainly wrong. If you disagree with what he's said, that's fine, but I most seriously doubt any of it was meant to be inflammatory or demeaning.


I personally don't care whether he goes anywhere or not. I believe in second chances. For me, this wasn't about ousting him as a moderator.
As far as his intention being malicious, I can't even say that that even entered my mind one way or the other.
But answer a question for me: Does something have to be deliberately malicious in order to be racist? I don't think so.
Racism is malicious on its own - deliberate or not, intentional or not.
Nevertheless, what he did say was racist. And if it wasn't malicious, I can't know as I don't know him as you do, it doesn't change the reality that it was a racist remark.


As for this last comment of his, there are subtle innuendos and they can be just as creepy as saying something which is racist outright. And if the man were simply this time just trying to be cute, I fail to see the cuteness in it. But then again, one [wo]man's meat is another one's poison.
"Look closely. The beautiful may be small."


"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."


“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15438
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Dan should not continue as MODERATOR

Postby phoneutria » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:51 pm

Hey Dan, do you want to be a mod?
phoneutria
purveyor of enchantment, advocate of pulchritude AND venomously disarming
 
Posts: 2733
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 5:37 am

Re: Dan should not continue as MODERATOR

Postby statiktech » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:55 pm

You know, I wrote out a whole response, but this isn't worth the discussion. He doesn't have to justify himself to you, and I'm not going to do it for him.

I think he made some remarks that can be construed as disparaging. Again, he has an odd way of saying things sometimes. Based on his character, I don't think it wise or justified to jump to conclusions as to how racist what he said was.

Also, by the by, racism has a few different meanings, so you may want to clarify what you mean before you start pointing fingers.
Last edited by statiktech on Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Man is the animal that laughs at himself."
—Robert A Heinlein
User avatar
statiktech
SonOfABitchBastard
 
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 8:53 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Dan should not continue as MODERATOR

Postby GreatandWiseTrixie » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:03 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:
statiktech wrote:Dan shouldn't go anywhere, nor should he be attacked based on the inferences of some overly sensitive individuals. Anyone who has been around here long enough knows that Dan sometimes has an odd way of expressing himself at times. That's not a bad thing. In fact, it makes him all the more interesting. It can, however, lead to some misunderstandings and some unintended inferences. I think his latest reply is evidence enough of that.

If you actually believe any of what he's said, as odd as it may seem, was purposely or even implicitly malicious, I assure you you're almost certainly wrong. If you disagree with what he's said, that's fine, but I most seriously doubt any of it was meant to be inflammatory or demeaning.


I personally don't care whether he goes anywhere or not. I believe in second chances. For me, this wasn't about ousting him as a moderator.
As far as his intention being malicious, I can't even say that that even entered my mind one way or the other.
But answer a question for me: Does something have to be deliberately malicious in order to be racist? I don't think so.
Racism is malicious on its own - deliberate or not, intentional or not.
Nevertheless, what he did say was racist. And if it wasn't malicious, I can't know as I don't know him as you do, it doesn't change the reality that it was a racist remark.


Racism isn't exactly malicious. On a hypothetical planet, where the races have observably and demonstrably different qualities, it might be logical to segrate the educational facilities, and give a certain kind of education to one group, and a different kind of education to one group. This would be racist, but it would have good intentions, the betterment of both races, and is therefore not malicious.
I am losing my mind to mandess.
User avatar
GreatandWiseTrixie
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2136
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Dan should not continue as MODERATOR

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:12 pm

statiktech

But answer a question for me: Does something have to be deliberately malicious in order to be racist? I don't think so.

Short answer is no, I suppose not.


Well, that does show that you're more open about this.

However, it also depends on what you mean by racist. If you mean he hates or is intolerant of another race, I don't think he is
.

I went back to see how I worded my post[s]. As I said before, I don't know him as you perhaps do. My main intention was to call out the REMARKS he made not so much to call him out as a racist. I didn't call him a racist pig.
Another question: Can someone make racial remarks without perhaps being a racist. I cant' be sure. There are degrees of such I think.
We all or many of us have some small bit or more racism within us or we can. Perhaps it lies dormant. Perhaps Dan wasn't even aware of how truly racist that remark was. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt or maybe I was until his latest remark.


If you mean he believes there are differences between races, I would think he does
.
lol To think otherwise, would be absurd.

If you mean he believes one race is superior and has some right to dominate inferior races, I wouldn't think so but can't say for sure based on what he's said.


And that is the crux of it. The bottom line here is that it was a highly racist remark whether or not you choose to minimize or not (not saying you are)

My guess is that you think what he said is demeaning to another race, and, while I see why you'd think so, I doubt that that's how he meant it. That's what I'm trying to tell you.


There was no quessing about. It was demeaning and derogatory and callous. As I said before, whether he was trying to be cute or strange or whatever, doesn't change the reality of it.

I think he made some remarks that can be construed as suggesting black people are somehow inferior, but how or to what extent is unclear. Again, he has an odd way of saying things sometimes. Based on his character, I don't think it wise or justified to jump to conclusions as to how malicious what he said was.

Again, was he deliberately being malicious - I can't say because I wasn't in his mind.
But I don't agree with you insofar as not jumping to conclusions about how malicious what he said was. What he said was malicious - intended to be or not. A fire is still a fire whether someone intended to deliberately start it or not. Does that change the reality of what it is? Not to me.

Dan - perhaps some clarification would help here.

Oh, didn't you see that he did in his unique way try to clarify it? What do you think Carleas Captain Picard was all about - unless I misunderstood that.
"Look closely. The beautiful may be small."


"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."


“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15438
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Dan should not continue as MODERATOR

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:38 pm

GreatandWiseTrixie

Racism isn't exactly malicious. On a hypothetical planet, where the races have observably and demonstrably different qualities, it might be logical to segrate the educational facilities, and give a certain kind of education to one group, and a different kind of education to one group. This would be racist, but it would have good intentions, the betterment of both races, and is therefore not malicious.


Again, my question was is racism STILL malicious whether it is intended or not? YES IT IS.
I suppose that Hitler may have even said or thought that his intentions were good according to Hitler and some others, but do you think that the Jews would have thought that?
For you to say racism isn't exactly malicious is one of the most stupid things you'v ever said. You've said some cute off-the-wall things but you've just exeeded yourself, Trixie, with that one.


On a hypothetical planet, where the races have observably and demonstrably different qualities, it might be logical to segrate the educational facilities, and give a certain kind of education to one group, and a different kind of education to one group. This would be racist


I'm not even sure if that in itself would actually be racist but I'll have to think about that one.
Let's say for instance one of those different qualities of the one race might be a high aptitude for math and on the side of that the other race a high aptitute for let's say being psychic (though i don't necessarily believe in that). In that case, perhaps separating them (but only in school insofar as honing their skill is concerned) might be more beneficial for both races and for ALL but it's not based on inequality or a sense of superiority or priviledge or hatred or fear in this case. That to me would be the same as putting children with a much higher i.q. and capacity to learn in a different school.

As I said, I'll have to think of that one but I don't intuit that as being racist. The dynamics are totally different.

Anyway, there would still be no reason to have different schools. But having them doesn't amount to racism.
The focus on racism is the race itself for purely stupid and irrational reasons.
"Look closely. The beautiful may be small."


"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."


“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15438
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Dan should not continue as MODERATOR

Postby GreatandWiseTrixie » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:43 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:GreatandWiseTrixie

Racism isn't exactly malicious. On a hypothetical planet, where the races have observably and demonstrably different qualities, it might be logical to segrate the educational facilities, and give a certain kind of education to one group, and a different kind of education to one group. This would be racist, but it would have good intentions, the betterment of both races, and is therefore not malicious.


Again, my question was is racism STILL malicious whether it is intended or not? YES IT IS.
I suppose that Hitler may have even said or thought that his intentions were good according to Hitler and some others, but do you think that the Jews would have thought that?
For you to say racism isn't exactly malicious is one of the most stupid things you'v ever said. You've said some cute off-the-wall things but you've just exeeded yourself, Trixie, with that one.


On a hypothetical planet, where the races have observably and demonstrably different qualities, it might be logical to segrate the educational facilities, and give a certain kind of education to one group, and a different kind of education to one group. This would be racist


I'm not even sure if that in itself would actually be racist but I'll have to think about that one.
Let's say for instance one of those different qualities of the one race might be a high aptitude for math and on the side of that the other race a high aptitute for let's say being psychic (though i don't necessarily believe in that). In that case, perhaps separating them (but only in school insofar as honing their skill is concerned) might be more beneficial for both races and for ALL but it's not based on inequality or a sense of superiority or priviledge or hatred or fear in this case. That to me would be the same as putting children with a much higher i.q. and capacity to learn in a different school.

As I said, I'll have to think of that one but I don't intuit that as being racist. The dynamics are totally different.


Segragation is racist. The crux of your argument must infer that segragation is not racist. This goes against your hypersensitive politically correct feminized peer's dogma.
For you to say racism isn't exactly malicious is one of the most stupid things you'v ever said. You've said some cute off-the-wall things but you've just exeeded yourself, Trixie, with that one.


I have angered the woman, leader of the political correct police. My life is ruined. Well dressed news reporters will go on TV and say how evil I am, while they bite into their murdered hamburgers, unaware that of their own racism and disregard for the feelings of any other race besides humans.

Remove the log from thy own eye, human. Do you honestly believe I respect these hypocritical, politically correct peons?
I am losing my mind to mandess.
User avatar
GreatandWiseTrixie
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2136
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:18 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Meta



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users