New Board Rule

You cannot ignore someone in the thread they started after you have replied in it. It will stop the type of trolling that Peripheral is doing, which is ignoring everyone who beats him in debate… which is what? Up to 6 people now. Often in the threads they started, while he keeps continuing to reply thinking he’s won the debate. This is a new type of troll, and I think administration should address this issue with this narrow rule change. I know Carleas says that people don’t own their threads, but it’s obvious that this would improve moderation here, because the person who started the thread always has the right to post people who are being ignored if it helps their argument in the form of a reply, that has to be read by the potential troll, if they believe it bolsters their argument. This way, you can’t have someone trapsing around the boards thinking they’ve won every debate, while ignoring the best debaters… Arbiter and I are the two best atheistic debaters on the site, with Artimas, iambiguous and Lev following. Sorry to put it so blatantly. If Arbiter couldn’t be ignored in the thread he started, he could have used everyones arguments, people which are being ignored, visibly in the thread to trolls like Peripheral. My banning was unwarranted by the way (again), this is a new way to troll, and this board needs to evolve to accomodate it.

Sorry Ec, but I have to disagree with you on this one. I’m not at all interested in discussing anything with Peripheral ever again. I’d much prefer if he kept me on ignore. I don’t feel that my position is, or ever will be seriously put into question by anything he says, so I’m fine with ignoring him as well. He’s nothing more than a petty troll.

I think people should be free to not engage one another, and even if you put others on ignore you can read their posts, so the person who uses ignore can still read the OP of the ignored one if he so chooses, and I do think reading the original post should be a prerequisite to posting in a thread, but other than that, no, I don’t expect everybody who comes into a thread to post that they should be obligated to engage me if I’m the OP.

You can still reply to people that ignore you so it’s not like you’re prevented from addressing their arguments, on the opposite, they’re handicapping themselves by not reading your rebukes. Hell, you can even ignore them and still reply if you reveal their posts.

I’ve never ignored someone in let’s see… 22 years on the net, but I think the OP should have the right to always have their posts seen IF someone has already replied to their thread. You can obviously ignore new threads by them. I understand that you don’t want to speak to peripheral again, but I’m not an ignorer, I keep debating…