Question / Suggestion

Rig up a way for a member to be notified by an email when someone has made a post in which the member is quoted.

You follow? Say I can’t remember where I posted a day ago (sometimes I forget where I’ve posted thirty minutes ago!). I want to know if someone is responding directly to me, and not have to scroll every response that has happened since I posted to find out.

Part of this new feature would mean that everyone needs to make sure the user’s name (Zoot Allures said:) is in the quote they use.

Can it be done? Don’t look at me… computers are not my department.

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: clearly, this is technically possible. Plenty of platforms do something similar. But this site runs on pretty clunky old software. When you quote someone and it says “XYZ wrote…”, XYZ are just the characters the poster entered, they aren’t a reference to the user XYZ or their account. By contrast, when your name appears at the top of a post, it’s a reference to you and your account. Effectively, the name that appears at the top of the quote is like Jesus in a piece of toast: we put meaning on it that isn’t really there.

And it’s possible to hack together something to change that, but that’s a major hack. And there may be plugins that others have hacked together, but they seem involved as well. What we really need is a new platform, either the next version of the software we’re using, or some better-designed, completely different software. And that’s something I’ve been putting off for too long, and I mean to get to it someday, and I’ll add this to the list of ‘wants’ as I shop around.

Carleas, something annoying has come up in my forum. When I try to add a comment, the screen reduces the image to a very small impression, hardly readable even with a magnifier glass. haveYounanynidea, as to what is going on? Thank You.

Can you prove that wasn’t a meaningful manifestation of jesus on that toast?

It may have been that for all I know, problem cleared up today. Maybe another miraculous recovery.

The end is near. I got my eye on you.
See God. Work here.

I don’t remember my fathers words.

Is that some kind of code?

That is some kind of code.