To moderators or member posters:

has anyone an idea of the number of average hits per a length of time, that ILP gets world wide? Any guesses like maybe 100-3000 hits per day/week ?

I am sure that mods can tell you, if they do not mind.

My guess is somewhere between 500-1000 hits/per day.

with love,
sanjay

500-1000 is a great guess. It varies by time of year, but that’s about right for the recent average. We’ve had just about 25k monthly for the past three months, of which slightly less than half are returning users. And most of the new visitors leave the page without exploring any further. I don’t know how that compares to other sites, but ILP’s numbers have been pretty consistent during my tenure. The major yearly trend I’ve noticed is that numbers tend to go down in the summer and during school breaks (which I imagine is because people are vacationing or spending time with family), so we get bumps in traffic in the early fall and early spring which plateau until the next major holiday season. We also see less traffic on the weekends, particularly late Friday night to Sunday morning, but that effect is less pronounced during the summer.

Yes, my guesses usually are closer to reality though that does not happen always.

By the way, what was the yearly average of hits per day for this year so far and last year?

That happens everywhere. Those visitors, who are not the members or regular posters, usually visit to see just what is going on. More often than not, they only read the headings on the first page of most active threads and leave. A very few percentage of visitors read the threads.

Secondly, most visitors are not interested in pure intellectual discussions like determinism, free will or objectivism/subjectivism. They are more interested in such subjects with whom they can relate themselves or are related with their day to day life.

Thirdly, such threads, which are of complete different zone, also get more hits than normal ones, even if they are not about hardcore philosophy.

That seems to be the case.

That is understandable.

with love,
sanjay

Carleas: how much of the forum traffic is Australian?

Zinnat,
2013:
Average daily visitors: 941
2014 YTD:
Average daily visitors: 764
mid-2011 to present
Average daily visitors: 959

This year looks lower, and it is, but not by as much as it looks. The first few weeks of December are particularly high, and the first few weeks of January are particularly low. Also, this summer we had some technical trouble that made load times longer which affects our google rankings. We’re getting fewer new users now (59% this year vs. 64% last year), but our bounce rate is similarly better.

Impious, over the time period we’ve been keeping track, about 4% of our traffic comes from Australia, which puts it in 4th place globally behind the US, the UK, and Canada, in that order. This year, traffic from Australia makes up just under 5%, which is still 4th overall behind the same countries in the same order.

This is fun; what else?

Thanks Carleas, for sharing that information.

May i ask what is the average hits/views per post in the last and this year?
I want to know the average viewership per post.

Secondly, do hits anyhow affect ILP, financially or otherwise?

with love,
sanjay

Has it become only about the numbers for you?

Zinnat, I will have to get back to you about question 1. I’ve been going off the Google Analytics tools, and there doesn’t seem to be an easy way to filter for posts there (the URL for a successful post does not appear to be unique enough to filter on). I used to have it set up to track posting by watching for a particular pattern of pages, but a few years ago another website cloned our homepage and screwed up all our data, and I apparently never set it up again (this is also the reason I only have numbers going back to 2011). I’m sure the information is one database query away, but I don’t know how to do that and I’m terrified to act in any way directly on the database.

Question 2: They don’t really affect anything. This site generates no revenue ever since Google told us to censor discussion or lose their ads. I tried Amazon, but it was labor intensive, didn’t ever generate revenue, and ultimately broke and wasn’t worth fixing. We get the occasional donation, which is much appreciated and helps defer the cost, but it’s been a long time since we recouped costs and that’s fine with me. I’d like more people to discuss philosophy, and I’d like to provide a good place for them to do so. I think the rest of the staff would agree. Hit’s are a good indicator of how well we’re doing that.

It always has been, James, especially number 34903.

What exactly Google asked you to do? What is exactly that they wanted to censor?

That could provide us a insight how MNC’s work and try to affect the mindset of society. And, that could be a very interesting topic of the discussion too.

You intention certainly deserves appreciation.

I cannot do anything right now. But, i am due for a very good amount of money (of course, from my standard) in near future, perhaps within 2-3 months. I will certainly contribute then within my limit.

with love,
sanjay

It always has been, James, especially number 34903.

I’m on the edge of my seat… what’s my number?

Geez!

I had a question but thought the means to its answer was within my reach.

I don’t think the search engine is performing optimally.

I was curious what the all time review count was for a post that had no replies. So I jumped over to the link for “unanswered posts” and searched for all posts, by author, descending. Never did get a response. Don’t know how long it was (20 min.) before I could get a response back from your server. Hope that wasn’t the case with everyone. If it was, sorry? I didn’t even guess.

Actually, my real number is 42, “the answer to the universe and everything”. :smiley:

Well that explains a lot. :smiley:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrases_fr … g_.2842.29

… could anything be more true. [-o<

Then you should really love HatingMeIsEasier.

Hey mods.,

Have you guys ever thought about decking this forum out with different colors and a chat box?

Feels like I’m in a damn doctor’s office - too bland and austere.

I’m good with visual arts and that sort of stuff - let me know if I can pimp this place out.

My number is 4824, if that be any interest, it is cosmic in significance.  For starters, I was born 8/4 August 4.  My wife was born 4/8 .  My mother in law, died on 8/4, on the occasion of being my turn to hold vigil by her hospital bed.  Billy Bob Thorton was born 8/4. (Being my favorite actor, -Sling Blade).

There was a chat facility, but that was quite a few years ago now. I spoke to 2 or 3 on it…including Satyr…