Arc.

A forum about the forums

Moderator: Carleas

Arc.

Postby Kriswest » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:46 pm

Hey mods, Arc just got in touch with me and has somehow locked herself out. Wrong password a couple of times is the probable problem. She left a message for you guys but, no response yet. Help please. Thanks
I will be bitchy, cranky, sweet, happy, kind, pain in the ass all at random times from now on. I am embracing my mentalpause until further notice. Viva lack of total control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is not a test,,, this is my life right now. Have a good day and please buckle up for safety reasons,, All those in high chairs, go in the back of the room.
Kriswest
ILP Legend

Re: Arc.

Postby The Golden Turd » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:57 pm

She was likely banned. It happens alot, without warning, for no apparent reason. Did she recently post in any of Only Humean or Magsj's sections? This is usually the cause. There is absolutely nothing she could of done to prevented this.
Support "The Angels of East Africa" on smile.Amazon.com it is free to do, they donate 0.05% of your purchase cost to them, or give donations directly via:

http://www.machinegunpreacher.org

Recently hidden post:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=192227&p=2649513#p2649513
The Golden Turd
Fucking Unflushable

Postby Kriswest » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:19 am

You or I would be banned way before Arc.
I will be bitchy, cranky, sweet, happy, kind, pain in the ass all at random times from now on. I am embracing my mentalpause until further notice. Viva lack of total control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is not a test,,, this is my life right now. Have a good day and please buckle up for safety reasons,, All those in high chairs, go in the back of the room.
Kriswest
ILP Legend

Postby The Golden Turd » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:49 am

Your assuming they have to go through a process of identification of traits of a unappealing nature, and from this, organize a consensus to ban. They appear to do it purely off of an whim.

Banning someone is the ultimate form of Ad Hominem Attack, and is hard to justify, especially if in response to another, lesser ad hominem. Its a cycle of inept violence that makes no sense.... so don't go around trying to apply standards or reasoning to this. She is victim 847, and every explanation as to justify why is little more than meaningless apophenia.
Support "The Angels of East Africa" on smile.Amazon.com it is free to do, they donate 0.05% of your purchase cost to them, or give donations directly via:

Recently hidden post:
The Golden Turd
Fucking Unflushable

Postby Carleas » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:39 am

Arc is not banned (as though it needed saying), and I got her message. Thanks for the heads up, Kris.
User Control Panel > Board preference > Edit display options > Display signatures: No.
Carleas
Magister Ludi

Postby James S Saint » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:36 am

Contra-Nietzsche wrote:Your assuming they have to go through a process of identification of traits of a unappealing nature, and from this, organize a consensus to ban. They appear to do it purely off of an whim.

Banning someone is the ultimate form of Ad Hominem Attack, and is hard to justify, especially if in response to another, lesser ad hominem. Its a cycle of inept violence that makes no sense.... so don't go around trying to apply standards or reasoning to this. She is victim 847, and every explanation as to justify why is little more than meaningless apophenia.

Emmm.. no. Not at this site.

As much as I abhor bad moderating and presumptuous judging, I have found very little "no excuse banning" here (none in fact). The reasons might not always be just, but to say that they just suddenly ban someone without any notice or reasoning, is either getting ridiculous or proclaiming that they are FAR more clever about it than I see. Granted I am not omniscient, but then again, neither are they omnipotent.

Hell, Carleas would have banned me years ago if he didn't feel an urge to be just to at least a minimal degree. I certainly tempted him.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby Arcturus Descending » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:28 pm

Contra-Nietzsche wrote:Your assuming they have to go through a process of identification of traits of a unappealing nature, and from this, organize a consensus to ban. They appear to do it purely off of an whim.

:lol: I wasn't banned, CN. But i did learn a little bit more about myself - I have to become a bit more flexible at times.
Then to top it all off, I was locked out of my yahoo account. Trying to get back in there and proving you are who you say you are is almost like fighting city hall. If I didn't know better, I'd say the universe is trying to send me a message. But I do know better.

Victim?: I choose not to consider myself one. When we feel that we're victimized, we usually want to lash out and try to victimize others. The thing to do? - become the Phoenix.
Joseph Joubert ~~

It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

“We love repose of mind so well, that we are arrested by anything which has even the appearance of truth; and so we fall asleep on clouds.”

You have to be like the pebble in the stream, keeping the grain and rolling along without being dissolved or dissolving anything else.
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:30 pm

Carleas wrote:Arc is not banned (as though it needed saying), and I got her message. Thanks for the heads up, Kris.

Thanks Carleas. It took me awhile before I got your message but that wasn't your fault - it was mine and yahoo's.
By the way, good luck - though not much of that is needed but a lot of time and energy...
Joseph Joubert ~~

It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

“We love repose of mind so well, that we are arrested by anything which has even the appearance of truth; and so we fall asleep on clouds.”

You have to be like the pebble in the stream, keeping the grain and rolling along without being dissolved or dissolving anything else.
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Ben JS » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:37 pm

Arc :bow-yellow:
Formerly known as: Joe Schmoe

ben wrote:I think it is eloquently fitting that my farewell thread should be so graciously hijacked by such blatant penis waving. It condenses my entire ILP experience into one very manageable metaphor.
Ben JS
Human Being

Postby Arcturus Descending » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:58 pm

Ben JS wrote:Arc :bow-yellow:

In your dreams. :evilfun:
Joseph Joubert ~~

Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby MagsJ » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:30 pm

Contra-Nietzsche wrote:She was likely banned. It happens alot, without warning, for no apparent reason. Did she recently post in any of Only Humean or Magsj's sections? This is usually the cause. There is absolutely nothing she could of done to prevented this.
I ban the least out of all the mods, you dick.
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby The Golden Turd » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:46 am

That hurt my feelings, I'm reporting you to Satyr.

Recently hidden post:
The Golden Turd
Fucking Unflushable

Postby zinnat » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:26 am

MagsJ wrote:
Contra-Nietzsche wrote:She was likely banned. It happens alot, without warning, for no apparent reason. Did she recently post in any of Only Humean or Magsj's sections? This is usually the cause. There is absolutely nothing she could of done to prevented this.
I ban the least out of all the mods, you dick.

Magsj, I must say that is true.
But, i would not say that it is the wisest thing to do all the times for any mod/authority.

Not exercising one's authority at the right moment and in the right way also is not the lesser mistake than exercising one's authority at the wrong time and in the wrong way too. The only exception is allowed when it comes stictly to point when the judge is not sure about the accused in either way. Only then, the accused may be given the benifit of the doubt. That is how it should be.

Being fair simply means being fair and right in judgement all the time, not being liberal or ignoring lesser crimes/mistakes.

And Magsj, i am saying this keeping you or any other mod in the mind but in general.

with love,
sanjay
Last edited by zinnat on Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
zinnat
Philosopher

Postby zinnat » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:37 am

James S Saint wrote:

Emmm.. no. Not at this site.

As much as I abhor bad moderating and presumptuous judging, I have found very little "no excuse banning" here (none in fact). The reasons might not always be just, but to say that they just suddenly ban someone without any notice or reasoning, is either getting ridiculous or proclaiming that they are FAR more clever about it than I see. Granted I am not omniscient, but then again, neither are they omnipotent.

Hell, Carleas would have banned me years ago if he didn't feel an urge to be just to at least a minimal degree. I certainly tempted him.

That is true and i must say that the moderation at ILP is better than its many counterparts.
The only objection i have that ILP does not care much about the civility in the language and allows many such terms/words which should not be allowed in philosophy.

Perhaps, the reason is that majority of its members are from US, where such words have been become the essential part of public discourse, thus this phenomenon does not pinch in their eyes.

with love,
sanjay
zinnat
Philosopher

Postby Kriswest » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:31 am

What terms/words would you have stopped?
Kriswest
ILP Legend

Postby zinnat » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:59 am

Kriswest wrote:What terms/words would you have stopped?

Dick, asshole, what a fuck, fucking argument, bitch, whores etc.

No, it's your brother, the one who rammed his dick in your mouth every morning to wake you up

you made an accidental remark about licking my ass

I think that is enough.

with love,
sanjay
zinnat
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:12 pm

Contra-Nietzsche wrote:That hurt my feelings, I'm reporting you to Satyr.

You know I didn't mean it really :wink:
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Kriswest » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:09 pm

Sanjay, those are fairly mild.
What would you substitute?
Also do keep in mind the masks humans wear.
Kriswest
ILP Legend

Postby The Golden Turd » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:32 pm

Have you thought about how this relates to you mind thread in the psychology department, sanjay? If we were to do a unfortunate thing, and cut out cursing, we would lose the apparatus in the mind that governs cursing, and the segway it allows to other forms of rhetoric, and therefor other forms of logic never easily approached using more mundane, off topic, yet polite forms of speech.

Take the accidental ass licking quote.... where did it lead? It lead to deadlock by the very user who posted it, causing him to give up and reassert himself more indepth in another thread.... the entire two threads were designed to elicit a certain kind of response, presented by user A to user B, but user B counterintuitively wholly accepted everything at face value, user A couldn't adapt and turned inwards for a explanation and justification.

Look at the very meaning of the title for that thread you quoted from, and see how it evolved in the next thread he continued in..... it ironically was fulfilled, on his end. We never would of hit this level of catharsis and honesty had we stuck to orthodox use of syllogisms.

And there is no underlining dharma for moderators, other than spambots. It's what they make of it, and the population. If this was a childrens website..... yes, as protection of children is valued, but protecting philosophers from dialectics is usually unwise.... though even I could see exceptions being made, case by case.... if it ceased being philosophical and turned into pure trauma.

The rhetorical forms are not fixed in the west, and there isn't a overvalued, sacrosant core to debate. Many tried to institute them..... church enforced orthodoxy, academics logical fallacies, the courts an impersonal empiricism.... but nothing really dominates, each has obvious weaknesses, and we collectively rip at them. It's because, we know they aren't full systems, and have a largely bullshit basis when evading others forms of thought, affirming itself without justification.

Recently hidden post:
The Golden Turd
Fucking Unflushable

Postby zinnat » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:26 pm

Kriswest wrote:Sanjay, those are fairly mild.

Kris,

That is exactly what i was saying.
Ideally, what should be considered as indecent and vulgar, is defined as fairly mild by you.

zinnat13 wrote:Perhaps, the reason is that majority of its members are from US, where such words have been become the essential part of public discourse, thus this phenomenon does not pinch in their eyes.

See. Enviornment has been changed the definitions.

And, you know the substitute. It is obvious and quite simple to implement but it would attract a lot of resistence.
Habits die hard, whether good or bad.

with love,
sanjay
zinnat
Philosopher

Postby The Golden Turd » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:27 pm

Its not a habit we are considering, but the paradoxical foundations of a pleasant and mild manner philosophy in seeking out its opposite unconsciously. Take the high and noble speech used on Satyrs site..... he emphasizes Epicurean ideals, and all we get from the aesthetics of such pleasantries is pure shit, in its rawest form.

This has deep roots in Epicurean philosophy itself, when they first founded the garden school, all they could do was bitch and gripe about others, and take a increasingly nihilistic outlook on life.... to the point of attracting the prostitute Leontium to lead them intellectually in such Vulgar taunts, right in what we consider the height of greek philosophy at that!

It is, a fundamental aspect of philosophy, and always been part of the discourse. I'd be a rich man if I got a dollar for everytime I've heard a vedantic preaching and at the same time denouncing absurd the Buddha..... don't even get me started with the fictional absurdities of the Nietzscheans and Christ and Christianity.

There is something much different, and hidden going on here, something philosophy hasn't fully charted yet. If you try to exile it, we will all in time have to seek asylum with it. Thats how deeply integrated it is.

Got that fucker?

Recently hidden post:
The Golden Turd
Fucking Unflushable

Postby Kriswest » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:47 pm

zinnat13 wrote:
Kriswest wrote:Sanjay, those are fairly mild.

Kris,

That is exactly what i was saying.
Ideally, what should be considered as indecent and vulgar, is defined as fairly mild by you.

zinnat13 wrote:Perhaps, the reason is that majority of its members are from US, where such words have been become the essential part of public discourse, thus this phenomenon does not pinch in their eyes.

See. Enviornment has been changed the definitions.

And, you know the substitute. It is obvious and quite simple to implement but it would attract a lot of resistence.
Habits die hard, whether good or bad.

with love,
sanjay

You forgot about the masks we wear.
In front of parents we speak and behave one way, in front of employers another way, etc. Here we are anonymous friends and enemies. Emotions are not held in so tight. Most have jobs, family etc. where we control our emotions. Here it is a slight freedom. And considering there are far far worse vulgarities known to all, I think over all it is mild. I could make a sailor look like a nun. And there is English, Canadians, South American, Australians, that out number the US participants. Those Ausies and Brits can be crude. ;)
Kriswest
ILP Legend

Postby zinnat » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:27 pm

Contra-Nietzsche wrote:Have you thought about how this relates to you mind thread in the psychology department, sanjay? If we were to do a unfortunate thing, and cut out cursing, we would lose the apparatus in the mind that governs cursing, and the segway it allows to other forms of rhetoric, and therefor other forms of logic never easily approached using more mundane, off topic, yet polite forms of speech.

Take the accidental ass licking quote.... where did it lead? It lead to deadlock by the very user who posted it, causing him to give up and reassert himself more indepth in another thread.... the entire two threads were designed to elicit a certain kind of response, presented by user A to user B, but user B counterintuitively wholly accepted everything at face value, user A couldn't adapt and turned inwards for a explanation and justification.

Look at the very meaning of the title for that thread you quoted from, and see how it evolved in the next thread he continued in..... it ironically was fulfilled, on his end. We never would of hit this level of catharsis and honesty had we stuck to orthodox use of syllogisms.

And there is no underlining dharma for moderators, other than spambots. It's what they make of it, and the population. If this was a childrens website..... yes, as protection of children is valued, but protecting philosophers from dialectics is usually unwise.... though even I could see exceptions being made, case by case.... if it ceased being philosophical and turned into pure trauma.

The rhetorical forms are not fixed in the west, and there isn't a overvalued, sacrosant core to debate. Many tried to institute them..... church enforced orthodoxy, academics logical fallacies, the courts an impersonal empiricism.... but nothing really dominates, each has obvious weaknesses, and we collectively rip at them. It's because, we know they aren't full systems, and have a largely bullshit basis when evading others forms of thought, affirming itself without justification.

CN,

You failed to get to the bottom of the issue.

I am not asking to curb all the feeling and become a machine.
There are always valid and invalid ways of doing things. If the same target can be achieved by remaningin the limits, why break those?

Look at this conversation-

One of our friend said this-

The only thing useful about women is between their legs.

This is certainly demeaning and insultive to half of the mankind. Having said that, it is still certainly neither vulgar nor cross the limit of the decency, as fas as the language is concerned.

And, i replied to him by this -

He knows this because his mind is also located at the same height thus he can easily understand things of that level, while other normal men use to have a bit problem finding this fact because their minds are located much above that zone.

My off-located mind cannot think of any other reason.

See, i hit back equally hard, if not more. And, he cannot cry foul either because i was playing the game by the norms set by him.

CN, that is the way how it should be. I understand that things can happen during heated discusion and i do not mind that much either. But, the limit of decency should not be crossed.

Actually, it needs a lot of intelligence to hit without being vulgar. Abusing using verlgur terms is quite easy but one has to translate his anger into art. That is philosophy.

Some difference should be maintained between a social forum and a philosophical one

with love,
sanjay
zinnat
Philosopher

Postby zinnat » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:36 pm

Contra-Nietzsche wrote:Its not a habit we are considering, but the paradoxical foundations of a pleasant and mild manner philosophy in seeking out its opposite unconsciously. Take the high and noble speech used on Satyrs site..... he emphasizes Epicurean ideals, and all we get from the aesthetics of such pleasantries is pure shit, in its rawest form.

This has deep roots in Epicurean philosophy itself, when they first founded the garden school, all they could do was bitch and gripe about others, and take a increasingly nihilistic outlook on life.... to the point of attracting the prostitute Leontium to lead them intellectually in such Vulgar taunts, right in what we consider the height of greek philosophy at that!

It is, a fundamental aspect of philosophy, and always been part of the discourse. I'd be a rich man if I got a dollar for everytime I've heard a vedantic preaching and at the same time denouncing absurd the Buddha..... don't even get me started with the fictional absurdities of the Nietzscheans and Christ and Christianity.

There is something much different, and hidden going on here, something philosophy hasn't fully charted yet. If you try to exile it, we will all in time have to seek asylum with it. Thats how deeply integrated it is.

Got that fucker?

Now, you are taking the excuse of the history.
Do you still practice all those values?
If not, then why only this?

It is nothing but to hide your bad habit or practice in the name of history.

Contra-Nietzsche wrote:Got that fucker?

CN,

Stop these childish attempts.
You are not smart enough to provoke me.
I am well aware of the fact when to react and when not.

with love,
sanjay
zinnat
Philosopher

Postby zinnat » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:52 pm

Kriswest wrote:You forgot about the masks we wear.
In front of parents we speak and behave one way, in front of employers another way, etc. Here we are anonymous friends and enemies. Emotions are not held in so tight. Most have jobs, family etc. where we control our emotions. Here it is a slight freedom. And considering there are far far worse vulgarities known to all, I think over all it is mild. I could make a sailor look like a nun. And there is English, Canadians, South American, Australians, that out number the US participants. Those Ausies and Brits can be crude.

That is true. People use to have to faces generally.
But, if that is true, it is given they have to lie about either one of those.

Freedom is there to be used for the betterment, not misused.

Secondly, i found Canadians and Britishers behind in the race of being indecent, thoug they are trying hard to catch up their US counterparts. And, Aussies are clear world winners. Even Americans cannot mach their skills.

with love,
sanjay
zinnat
Philosopher

Next

Return to Meta