Carleas, I have a question

Carleas,

How much time, in reality, do we have in which to go back and delete something in particular which we have posted and thought better of? I don’t mean the whole past - just some words or a statement or two.

Sometimes after giving something some thought - a day or two or even three :laughing: (sometimes awareness takes some time to percolate lol) we might decide we didn’t want it there or ~~why did I even put that there?! Even had the other person already seen it, we could then PM them…redtifying what we did. Yes, I know, we need to take care - be mindful of what we write. But we are human (no excuse just an observation) and some minds percolate quicker than others…some percolate slower, like mine at times:lol:

You have 2880 minutes, or 48 hours, to edit a post. After that, you’ll need to ask a mod to edit it for you.

2880 minutes? Wow. :laughing: Forty eight hours - I’ll have to bear that in mind.
Thanks Carleas.

But no delete? This site is worse than ‘do no evil Mwahahaaaa’ Google.

I think ILP should be on this list

I notice that Real Life is not listed on that site. It’s hard as shit to delete your actions in Real Life.

Its for comments like this that we need a thumbs up rating system!!! :laughing: =D>

That’s why we invented technology like the delete button, then flocked to it.

Way better than Real Life. That shit refuses to change, and if it does, ever so slooooooooowly.

BORING!11!111

It’s a shame that people still haven’t learned just HOW to use the delete button. We use it to our own defense but not for that of others.

What’s the point of this signatures of yours, Ben?

My post are all being moderated and I cannot send personal messages. I do not know why. Can you either explain why or restore the full functions of this account? Thanks.

Your first few posts are moderated. It is an anti-spam measure; we get a lot of bots advertising Gucci knock-offs. Now that you have had 5 posts approved, your posts will show up immediately and you should be able to send and receive PMs.

Carleas, i have become aware of the fact that my ‘signature’ may be too big. I hazard to say, that i really do not understand what that term really means. And i may have been led to believe that it is the proprietary function of ILP to modify this. If so, can You try to illuminate this dilemma? I hope it doesn’t have such vague implication, as for instance , as the cliche goes -as someone being to big for his britches? Other than that kind of thing, maybe a more literal meaning to ‘signature’ could be ascribed? -Thanks for Your help, and if it turns out that the question borders on the silly or obvious, please put it down to an inadvertent use of comic relief.

A signature is the block of text/images that appears below each of a user’s posts (by default). You can change it by going to the User Control Panel > Profile > Edit Signature.

A “big” signature is generally frowned upon because it takes away from the discussion. When a user scrolls through a web page, most of what appears should be the content the user is looking for, rather than unrelated and vaguely spammy signature blocks. If signatures are too big, they crowd out the interesting content. It’s distracting, and in my opinion it makes the post’s author look silly, like they feel their posts need to be buttressed with twice as much calling card lest anyone find them forgettable. They’re the webforum equivalent of driving a hot yellow Hummer.

Personally, I’ve turned off signatures, so I don’t see them at all (instructions for how to do so appear in my signature).

Thanks for that, Carleas.

Carleas, (or any mod), I am looking for a thread about first order predicate logic from the old “Hall of Questions” forum. I made a few sizable posts in it and I was wondering if it could be recovered somehow or moved into one of the currently existing forums. I believe it was an active thread in the spring of this year.

Is it this? I just put “first order predicate logic” in the search box. Also useful is googling something like “site:ilovephilosophy.com first order predicate logic”, which limits the search to ILP and often does a better job than the built-in search function. That thread is the top result in Google as well.

Ah, that’s it. Thanks, Carleas. I swear I went through all my “view your posts” threads – like every single one for pages and pages – and couldn’t find it. And since I remembered the thread being in the Hall of Questions forum that was discontinued I thought it was gone or archived somewhere. Well, that’s a little embarrassing. I didn’t even think to do a search for it. Cool.

How can i change my name from obe and my description 'shameless chess player, to something else more in line with my state of mind without having to re apply , in light with what i think is a change with my peripheral ID/ but sustantially
changing little? Or is this impossible? If it is i will stay the same, at this point. Thank You.

Your username and rank can be changed without affecting your profile, posts etc.

What do you have in mind?

By username, Masj,i like soeone’s suggestion, instead of obe to orb, and instead of rank? what is rank? but i would like to go from ‘shameless chess player’ to anything You may find appropriate, i have no clue. Thank You. Contrarian i guees would be ok, but i believe that has been used in the past, by Smears? I will try to think about that one today.

You will henceforth be known as Orb, whilst I await your choice of new rank name?