ADD chat box

ADD CHAT BOX .
OPTION FOR ONE ON ONE CHAT SUB SECTION TOO.
EVEN THOUGH THREADS PROVIDE IT , i BELIEVE IT’S NECESSARY . IT PROVIDES EXTENDED ENVIRONMENT .

There used to be a chat box function when I first joined, but it went a few years back when the home-page was redesigned and it was decided to leave it off the new design… I even conversed with Satyr a few times :open_mouth:

Ask and ye might receive :-s

Actually, that would be kind of cool. I, more than most people, can appreciate the benefit of the impermanence of chat: a kind of inconsequential jam w/ like minded people.

At the same time, it could result in me hitting on Mag, embarrassing her, and me waking up in the morning feeling like a complete asshole. Then there would be all that damage control the next day which would likely include me getting drunk again.

But yeah: I’m alright with it either way. I sometimes miss the real time interaction of chat. Just don’t add the user rooms like Yahoo use to have. Between the Neo-Nazi boards and the ones in which people described being in an orgy, it got kind of creepy.

hi d63, glad for this informal chat box, just found out about Deleuze jumping from his paris apartment. But, the real reason i am glad to find you here, is because i am trying to tie Deleuze and Polanyi together, with very broad brushstrokes. after i pick up some common threads, will get back to you. I haven’t had much time, and admit like you on too much procrastination, but i am patient with it.

I’ll have to google polyani, obe.

thanks , but it’s polanyi. looking forward to it.

No damage control necessary… I believe that we shouldn’t be made to feel bad for our feelings towards others, for we’re only human after-all, and who are we to deny the laws of attraction their authority?

d63 just got sober, well i was not so badly drunk when i though my reply was inadvertently sarcastic? cynical? pervasively abrasive? but really You will have better luck with the right spelling, have You had a chance to look it up yet? It’s amazing how many connections can be discovered between thinkers even devoid of actually reading each other. For that reason alone, You need not read Polanyi per se he has been influential on others as he has been influenced by others. It’s almost like a mystical circle.

Yes to chatbox.
I like the poorly thought and unfiltered. No time to hit the backspace. Let us see who can think on their feet.

I type faster than I talk and I almost never edit a post other than for typos. Sometimes I see ambiguity in things I’ve said and it occurs to me to edit them, but I don’t. I just think to myself, "it’ll either throw em off, or they’ll ask about it, or they’ll accurately what I meant either way, you can always clarify shit later.

I come from an old tradition of forums with no edit option, or disabled.
We like stupidity to be worn, saved for posterity.

However i see one tickler here. How would this evolve? Could it not turn out to be another version of ‘What are you doing’? How would it differ? Could duplication be avoided? Or is just an unnecessary meta-problem? Or is saying this superfluous, since differences will flow naturally from a categorical ad hoc separation into the one, or the other medium.

I am against the concept of chat box at any philosophy forum in principle.
It would not serve any purpose but only lower the bar.

with love,
sanjay

On contrary, it keeps the trivial chatter out of the main forums.

I keep reading this thread title as recommending an Attention Deficit Disorder chat box (and the discussion doesn’t do anything to convince me that’s not the right reading).

This would be a good addition, but it’s not pressing. I’ll be doing a few larger updates towards the end of the summer, and I’ll consider this among them, but improving core functionality (the server is pretty slow right now) is going to take precedence.

Yes, that is a problem for me -especially when it comes to getting stoned. If I’m at a party and get stoned, one of 2 things will happen. Either I will clam completely up because I don’t know what to say. Or I will overcompensate by pulling out my well practiced philosophical riffs which will generally either alienate people or scare them away.

However, when I’m on here, I find myself too comfortable with typing -for the reasons you describe. This is what results in the poetic flights I tend to go on: where I break my thoughts down into phrases and use the space between them.

But in my defense, I see this same technique at work in Obama’s speeches in which he seems to work phrase by phrase.

I get what you’re saying here, Carleas. And you’re right: it is not pressing.

Still, it would be nice place to go when I am in one of those ADD modes.