ADD chat box

A forum about the forums

Moderator: Carleas

ADD chat box

Postby quantum » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:48 pm

ADD CHAT BOX .
OPTION FOR ONE ON ONE CHAT SUB SECTION TOO.
EVEN THOUGH THREADS PROVIDE IT , i BELIEVE IT'S NECESSARY . IT PROVIDES EXTENDED ENVIRONMENT .
quantum

Re: ADD chat box

Postby MagsJ » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:46 pm

There used to be a chat box function when I first joined, but it went a few years back when the home-page was redesigned and it was decided to leave it off the new design... I even conversed with Satyr a few times :shock:

Ask and ye might receive :-s
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby d63 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:27 pm

Actually, that would be kind of cool. I, more than most people, can appreciate the benefit of the impermanence of chat: a kind of inconsequential jam w/ like minded people.

At the same time, it could result in me hitting on Mag, embarrassing her, and me waking up in the morning feeling like a complete asshole. Then there would be all that damage control the next day which would likely include me getting drunk again.

But yeah: I'm alright with it either way. I sometimes miss the real time interaction of chat. Just don't add the user rooms like Yahoo use to have. Between the Neo-Nazi boards and the ones in which people described being in an orgy, it got kind of creepy.
Humble yourself or the world will do it for you -it was either Russell or Whitehead. I can't remember which.

When I was young, I use to think the world was a messed up place so i was pissed off a lot. But now that I'm older, I know it is. So I just don't worry about it. -John Lydon (AKA Johnny Rotten).

Anarchy through Capitalism -on a flyer thrown out during a Kottonmouth Kings concert.

First we read, then we write. -Emerson.

All poets are damned. But they are not blind. They see with the eyes of angels. -William Carlos Williams: in the introduction to Ginsberg's Howl.

You gotta love that moment when the work is done and all that is left to do is drink your beer and sip your jager and enjoy what you've done. It's why I do and love it.

I refuse to be taken seriously.

Once again: take care of your process and others will take care of theirs. No one needs a guru. Just someone to jam with.

:me
d63
ILP Legend

Postby Orbie » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:02 am

hi d63, glad for this informal chat box, just found out about Deleuze jumping from his paris apartment. But, the real reason i am glad to find you here, is because i am trying to tie Deleuze and Polanyi together, with very broad brushstrokes. after i pick up some common threads, will get back to you. I haven't had much time, and admit like you on too much procrastination, but i am patient with it.
[size=50][/size]Allone's Obe issance

In answer to your prayer
sincere, the centre of
your circle here,
i stand ; and , without
taking thought,-
i know nothing. But i can

Full well your need-as
you be men
This: Re-Creation. With a
bow,
Then, your obedient

servant now.
One gift is all i find in me,
And that is faithful
memory
Orbie
partly cloudy, with a few showers

Postby d63 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:48 pm

I'll have to google polyani, obe.
Humble yourself or the world will do it for you -it was either Russell or Whitehead. I can't remember which.

When I was young, I use to think the world was a messed up place so i was pissed off a lot. But now that I'm older, I know it is. So I just don't worry about it. -John Lydon (AKA Johnny Rotten).

Anarchy through Capitalism -on a flyer thrown out during a Kottonmouth Kings concert.

All poets are damned. But they are not blind. They see with the eyes of angels. -William Carlos Williams: in the introduction to Ginsberg's Howl.

You gotta love that moment when the work is done and all that is left to do is drink your beer and sip your jager and enjoy what you've done. It's why I do and love it.

Once again: take care of your process and others will take care of theirs. No one needs a guru. Just someone to jam with.

d63
ILP Legend

Postby Orbie » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:52 pm

d63 wrote:I'll have to google polyani, obe.

thanks , but it's polanyi. looking forward to it.

In answer to your prayer
sincere, the centre of
your circle here,
i stand ; and , without
taking thought,-

Full well your need-as
you be men
bow,
Then, your obedient

servant now.
And that is faithful
memory
Orbie

Postby MagsJ » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:30 pm

d63 wrote:At the same time, it could result in me hitting on Mag, embarrassing her, and me waking up in the morning feeling like a complete asshole. Then there would be all that damage control the next day which would likely include me getting drunk again.

No damage control necessary... I believe that we shouldn't be made to feel bad for our feelings towards others, for we're only human after-all, and who are we to deny the laws of attraction their authority?
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Orbie » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:19 am

obe wrote:
d63 wrote:I'll have to google polyani, obe.

thanks , but it's polanyi. looking forward to it.

d63 just got sober, well i was not so badly drunk when i though my reply was inadvertently sarcastic? cynical? pervasively abrasive? but really You will have better luck with the right spelling, have You had a chance to look it up yet? It's amazing how many connections can be discovered between thinkers even devoid of actually reading each other. For that reason alone, You need not read Polanyi per se he has been influential on others as he has been influenced by others. It's almost like a mystical circle.

In answer to your prayer
sincere, the centre of
your circle here,
i stand ; and , without
taking thought,-

Full well your need-as
you be men
bow,
Then, your obedient

servant now.
And that is faithful
memory
Orbie

Postby phoneutria » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:03 am

Yes to chatbox.
I like the poorly thought and unfiltered. No time to hit the backspace. Let us see who can think on their feet.
phoneutria
purveyor of enchantment, advocate of pulchritude AND venomously disarming

Postby Mr Reasonable » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:33 am

I type faster than I talk and I almost never edit a post other than for typos. Sometimes I see ambiguity in things I've said and it occurs to me to edit them, but I don't. I just think to myself, "it'll either throw em off, or they'll ask about it, or they'll accurately what I meant either way, you can always clarify shit later.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby phoneutria » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:07 am

I come from an old tradition of forums with no edit option, or disabled.
We like stupidity to be worn, saved for posterity.
phoneutria

Postby Orbie » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:29 am

However i see one tickler here. How would this evolve? Could it not turn out to be another version of 'What are you doing'? How would it differ? Could duplication be avoided? Or is just an unnecessary meta-problem? Or is saying this superfluous, since differences will flow naturally from a categorical ad hoc separation into the one, or the other medium.

In answer to your prayer
sincere, the centre of
your circle here,
i stand ; and , without
taking thought,-

Full well your need-as
you be men
bow,
Then, your obedient

servant now.
And that is faithful
memory
Orbie

Postby zinnat » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:21 pm

I am against the concept of chat box at any philosophy forum in principle.
It would not serve any purpose but only lower the bar.

with love,
sanjay
zinnat
Philosopher

Postby phoneutria » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:06 pm

On contrary, it keeps the trivial chatter out of the main forums.
phoneutria

Postby Carleas » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:53 pm

I keep reading this thread title as recommending an Attention Deficit Disorder chat box (and the discussion doesn't do anything to convince me that's not the right reading).

This would be a good addition, but it's not pressing. I'll be doing a few larger updates towards the end of the summer, and I'll consider this among them, but improving core functionality (the server is pretty slow right now) is going to take precedence.
User Control Panel > Board preference > Edit display options > Display signatures: No.
Carleas
Magister Ludi

Postby d63 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:28 pm

mr reasonable wrote:I type faster than I talk and I almost never edit a post other than for typos. Sometimes I see ambiguity in things I've said and it occurs to me to edit them, but I don't. I just think to myself, "it'll either throw em off, or they'll ask about it, or they'll accurately what I meant either way, you can always clarify shit later.

Yes, that is a problem for me -especially when it comes to getting stoned. If I'm at a party and get stoned, one of 2 things will happen. Either I will clam completely up because I don't know what to say. Or I will overcompensate by pulling out my well practiced philosophical riffs which will generally either alienate people or scare them away.

However, when I'm on here, I find myself too comfortable with typing -for the reasons you describe. This is what results in the poetic flights I tend to go on: where I break my thoughts down into phrases and use the space between them.

But in my defense, I see this same technique at work in Obama's speeches in which he seems to work phrase by phrase.

d63
ILP Legend

Postby d63 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:33 pm

Carleas wrote:I keep reading this thread title as recommending an Attention Deficit Disorder chat box (and the discussion doesn't do anything to convince me that's not the right reading).

This would be a good addition, but it's not pressing. I'll be doing a few larger updates towards the end of the summer, and I'll consider this among them, but improving core functionality (the server is pretty slow right now) is going to take precedence.

I get what you're saying here, Carleas. And you're right: it is not pressing.

Still, it would be nice place to go when I am in one of those ADD modes.

d63
ILP Legend

Return to Meta