Change my username pretty please?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-YVt4gfquA[/youtube]

Wow. I’ve never turned down a request for a name change, but I’m considering it here. 3sum is a little vulgar, but mostly just immature. There’s another user, uglypeoplefucking, that’s significantly more vulgar. If you had made a new account called analabortion, would the account be banned? What should be the scope of your right to determine what you’re called?

I’d argue that there must be a limit. Surely if you selected a name that amounted to a direct attack on some other user, that account would be banned. Is it possible that some names are in the nature of an attack on all other members?

And what is the point of a name like analabortion? I think if you could produce evidence that you had analabortion tattooed in Gothic script across your back, that would be an indication that the name is more than an attempt to be provocative. But standing alone, I have to wonder whether serious discussion of philosophy would be deterred by one of the interlocutors being called “analabortion”. I have to think it would. I’m also inclined to believe that someone who wants to go by the name analabortion has no interest in serious discussion of philosophy.

I’m going to stay the change for now.

mr reasonable

Wow mr reasonable you sure seem like an experienced guy when it comes to being fucked in the butt, however I’m afraid you misunderstood what “AnalAbortion” actually stands for. If I ever do get fucked in the ass though and need some advice you’re the first person I’ll ask :wink:

Carleas

Yes, I’ve seen that one. A marvelous name.

And let me guess, the limit is arbitrary aka dependent solely on your personal judgement and not on some objective restrictions you have written down according to which you judge everybody’s name? :neutral_face:

I don’t know, perhaps if the person named themselves “fuckallofyou” or something like that. I don’t see how my name offends anybody else though, it can only be perceived as insulting me and I don’t mind it. On the contrary, I find it quite humbling :slight_smile:

I’m glad you asked.

First point, making people grow thicker skin. Some people seem to be scared of “bad words”. They see an insult in every second word written and get unnecessarily upset over what are just words. I’m trying to help them overcome their irrational fear and make them stronger and more resistant to insults. Many people in modern societies seem to suffer from that fear and find everything that doesn’t fit exactly with their opinion as offensive and want to censor it. As if certain letters spoken in a certain pattern will bring about the end of the world.

Second point, sharpening their philosophical thinking and making a point. There have been quite some ad hominems flying around lately and I want to show that the name doesn’t matter, that personal attacks don’t matter and that all insults towards me are welcome as they only demonstrate the incapability of the one doing to insulting to come up with an actual argument, instead resorting to pitiful insults. That is exactly why I chose a name as vulgar and repulsive as “AnalAbortion”. To show that you can’t insult me more than I already did insult myself and therefore that I don’t care about personal attacks and insults, only the argument, as a TRUE philosopher should.

Third, it sounds awesome.

What you say just seems to reinforce my points and why I deem that being named “AnalAbortion” is necessary and for the benefit of this forum. If somebody would dismiss my argument BECAUSE of my name and not the argument itself that is an ad hominem logical fallacy so ironically they’re the ones deterring the discussion with their ignorance of logical fallacies.

About that, I’d daresay that you are FACTUALLY wrong, as I think that 20 pages of defending my OP in one of my threads qualifies as serious discussion of philosophy. Besides, even when making jokes I stay serious and by that I mean to say that my jokes usually have a point, they’re not just pure mockery. But if arguing by implying my position in a joke is considered not serious then I guess I’m guilty of not being serious sometimes. Mostly I adjust the way I argue to the people I argue with. If they’re serious and honest about their positions I usually take them seriously even if I hold their positions ridiculous.

To give people thicker skin? Is that the same thing as “to antagonize or upset people”?

In the name of free speech I demand that this person be allowed to call themselves AnalAbortion.

Free speech and what have you. :-"

Free speech is so much more complicated than most people think.

Fight the power!

Probably not possible.

All the high-minded philosophy behind the name will be lost on the casual viewer, and ILP will look to potentially interested parties like an immature teenagers’ playground. Also, if you called someone else that on the philosophy forum, you’d get a warning for it.

However, I believe it’s possible to restrict posters to the Members-only Rant forum. If you’d accept that restriction, I see no issue with the name change. Since TRUE philosophy is apparently sharpened by ignoring offensive language (and simultaneously by using it, it seems), I imagine you’d prefer to debate there anyway.

You could show your immunity to insults by not responding to them. You could invite ridicule with a username like BronyPrincess or HelloKittyLover. Given the potential downside to ILP’s image, it’s not clear to me why we should indulge your already documented fixation on anuses?

So what you’re essentially saying is that I can’t get my name change because of other people’s incapability to figure out the meaning behind my new name? Doesn’t seem fair to me.

Also, people should pay attention to the post, not the name. If they think that an argument magically becomes invalid because they don’t like the argument poster’s name, they have just committed a logical fallacy and again, somebody else’s ignorance is not my problem.

So you’re concerned about ILP looking like an immature teenagers’ playground yet you recommend me names such as “BronyPrincess” and “HelloKittyLover”? :laughing:

So if my name got changed I could post ONLY in Rant? How is that a reasonable option?

No, true philosophy is sharpened by focusing on the argument and not on other insignificant words. Besides, why is AnalAbortion so offensive anyway?

All humans have an anus and it serves a crucial purpose for our survival.

And abortion is a process of a removal of a parasite (a baby does fit the definition of a parasite). Which furthers my symbolic meaning, as philosophy is also crucial for my survival and it helps me remove parasites (which are a metaphor for flawed thought)

I am already immune to insults and I do not wish to show off, what I want is help others to overcome their weakness, being easily offended is a major weakness on internet as much as in real life.

Kids are committing suicide day by day because of verbal abuse over internet and I do not even ask you to help me prevent it, all I’m asking is to allow me to try and make a difference. Maybe if those kids see somebody with a name like “AnalAbortion” they’ll think: “hmm, if this guy just named HIMSELF AnalAbortion maybe those insults don’t matter after all, maybe they are just words and they can’t hurt me”. Just thinking of a kid being saved with a simple name change gives you the chills, doesn’t it?

I do find anuses beautiful. Every anus is an unique piece of art.

I don’t think you’re an imbecile. But I think you think I am, given the arguments you expect me to answer.

I’m not. And I’m not prone to indulge fatuous legalism, so for that reason, my part in this discussion is over.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_ridicule

You’re prone to using logical fallacies though :confused:

But thank you for something, now I know how to act when I get beaten in argumentation. Just claim the other guy’s argument is ridiculous and run away.

And I don’t see how my arguments are ridiculous.

Is it not ridiculous that humans are ashamed of a part of their body that all humans have?
Is it not ridiculous and hypocritical of you to criticize the name AnalAbortion and saying it would make ILP look like an immature teenagers’ playground and then recommend me “BronyPrincess” and “HelloKittyLover”?

Is it so ridiculous to expect people not to commit basic logical fallacies and focus on the argument and not on the frigging name? “Well, your name is Archibald and I find that funny so your argument is invalid”
Is it so ridiculous to want to strengthen people against insults? Do you think I was lying when I said that kids kill themselves over verbal abuse? It’s because people like you ascribe too high of a value to these “offensive” words.

It’s incredible how conceited yet incompetent some authorities are. You’d make a fine politician, Humean.

3sum, a fallacy is more an indicator that someone’s speaking at all then that they’re wrong about something. No use of language is immune from the accusation of fallacy. Seriously, try anything.

This is a fallacy, you’re wrong all day.

Exactly.

“I think”.

That statement presumes some kind of self, and in order to justify that presumption, you’ll have to talk more, and then I’ll get you with the inductive fallacy or something else really general like that.

If the only problem is his self then that’s justified, since if it was not for his self he couldn’t have written that message.

I don’t think you’re an imbecile. But I think you think I am, given the arguments you expect me to answer…

I don’t need to argue anybody, ever. All I need to say is that somebody’s position is ridiculous and I don’t want to indulge it. And I win instantly. Aren’t I just super awesome like that?

The best tactic to use if an opponent argues a controversial yet valid position but you can’t address his argument properly and know you’ll get your ass handed to you. You may even fool some dimwits to think an appeal to ridicule is a good argument.