Thank you Felix/New Moderator Election

Our beloved moderator Felix has stepped down from his duties as moderator of the Religion forum. I’d like to thank Felix for his service to the site, and hope to continue to see him around in return to civilian life.

For a replacement, we’re going to try something new. We’re looking to crowd-source our next Religion moderator. The process will be in two parts:

First, submit nominations in this tread for who you think should be the moderator.

• You can nominate anyone who isn’t currently on staff or banned, including yourself.
  • Nominations must be made by name (i.e., you can’t describe a class, so no “I nominate everyone with 3 warnings” – we need to avoid the liar’s paradox).
  • A member can make multiple nominations, but only one nomination per post.

Nominations will be accepted until 00:01 UTC April 24 (aka 20:01 EDT April 23, aka 8:01 PM EDT April 23).

Second, anyone who accepts their nomination (within 48 hours) will be submitted to a popular vote. We’ll use approval voting - vote for every nominee you would approve of as moderator of the Religion forum. The most approved-of candidate will be the new Religion moderator.
Because this is the internet, a few limitations will be placed on voting: * No one who joins the forum after this post is made will be eligible to vote.

• No one with fewer than 50 posts will be able to vote.
  • Sock-puppets will have all their votes voided.
    Finally, the only effective way to enforce these limitations is for voting to be public. I’ll make a vote thread, and people will post in it for the purpose of voting.

In the event of a tie, we’ll have a run-off.

The winner will be the moderator of the Religion forum, to serve in good behavior and have the powers and responsibilities commensurate with that position. And they shall be honored with a dancing banana.

FINAL NOMINATIONS (in alphabetical order)

Nominations accepted:
Dan~
James S Saint
mr reasonable
PavlovianModel146

Nominations declined:
Arcturus Descending
Bob
gib
Historyboy
Ierrellus
Joe Schmoe
Kriswest
Moreno
statiktech

Carleas,

It is allowed to nominate different persons by a same member using different posts?
Or, one member can nominate only one person?

with love,
sanjay

I nominate myself and I"ll pay $1 per vote. I would rule with sound judgement and and iron fist.

Zinnat, you can nominate as many people as you like, one per post. I’ll edit the OP to make this clearer.

I don’t know that many of the new guys nor who has time to actually do the work…
but the posters I know and would expect to be fair and active moderators are Ierrellus, Kriswest and statiktech

So I’ll nominate statiktech with this post

And Ierrellus with this one

and finally Kriswest with this one

Ierrellus gets my vote.
I thank you for your confidence in me though.

I’d vote for any of the 3 you listed.

Thanks for your nominations Smears, Mad Man. I’ll keep a current list in the OP so people can easily check if they or someone they’d like to nominate has been nominated.

Arcturus Descending

I nominate “Historyboy” - because he is more religious than all other members together.

No sockpuppets right?

I nominate God. But only if it’s the right one.

There is a user named God who hasn’t posted since 2006. I assume you are not actually nominating the user God.

I cannot run. Please don’t vote for me. Reasons–senility and cheap computer. My choice among those listed would be Arcturus Descending. I am humbled by the nomination.

Thanks, Felix. Don’t be a stranger.

Well, thanks for the nomination, but…

Actually if some of these people don’t start nominating themselves, I am going to nominate myself. And I suspect that is something that most of you seriously don’t want to happen even accidentally. So bone-up guys. No one is liked by everyone.

In the mean time, among the other qualified candidates, I’ll toss Joe Schmoe into the ring.

If people don’t show that they actually want the task, we end up wasting votes and the final decision ends up not reflecting the actual popular vote (not that popular vote is the best way anyway). You don’t want anyone who doesn’t have the good judgment to “look before you leap” or another “shoot first, ask questions later” nor the “can’t decide for myself” type.

I also nominate statiktech.

It would also be great if you guys could avoid the “anti-extremism” extremism in the name of altruism crap (“I hate you people for being such obvious hateful people:icon-rolleyes: ).

Gib is another reasonably qualified.