Automatical log out while writing a post a long time?

It lost me an hour of posting. Maybe I could have used the back button on some other sub forum, but since the thread is in The Rant House, which isn’t accessible to guests, I was fucked. My internet history didn’t seem to have the “post reply” either, so I was literally screwed.

Can I prevent the system automatically logging me out while I’m posting? Or should I just copy my whole post before submitting it in case?

Try at the bottom of the post window “save draft”. When you wish to post you can “load draft” and submit.

You can also access “drafts” through the UCP (user control panel).

Or you could just copy the whole post before submitting it just in case?

If you click the box to keep yourself logged in on the login screen, you shouldn’t be logged out while posting (it will tell you the form was invalid and you have to resubmit, but you won’t lose anything you’ve typed).

If that isn’t working, it may be something about your cookie settings that is causing you to be logged out.

Those 2 options are basically the same but yeah, I copy it.

Did that, hope it works, thanks.

the result maybe the same but the flexibility in implementation is quite different.

Mowk are you saying saving draft method is better or worse than copying?

In my experience, they have different use cases. Copying is a good practice on just about any website as an extra precaution before hitting “submit”: if anything goes wrong, you have the text in your clipboard so you can try again or paste into a text editor for later.

Saving a draft is really more useful for when you’ve worked on a post, but aren’t finished and want to come back to it later. It will will stay in your drafts until you post it or delete it.

The two aren’t mutually exclusive, and it’s even a good idea to use the copy-to-clipboard method before you save a draft.

Great explanation, I understand it completely now. I still think I’ll stick to the good old copy-pasting into notepad, but thanks for making it clear.

You can lock now if you want.

I personally have never experienced a time out when working on a draft, but maybe when working on a draft I am simply more aware of the time that has passed.

There is a personal downside or maybe it’s an upside to using drafts, I have deleted far more drafts than I have posted. :shrug:

You can always post less thoughtful time consuming posts, then you won’t have to worry about copying or pasting or drafts. I think that’s the direction it’s been heading anyway, perhaps due to the time-out.

Every browser I use saves the stuff I typed if I just hit the ‘back’ button after getting the error.

I have had that problem too.

We should probably just bite the bullet and put a 140 character cap on post length.

Me too. It only comes up if the internet cuts out when I hit post. Otherwise, even if my session expires, I redirect back to the page and my post is still there. My understanding is that that’s how it’s supposed to work, and must I suppose that if it behaves differently it’s due to an over-restrictive cookie policy or some other user-specific issue.

test

Edit: Looks like even Chrome in incognito saves what you type in the browser if you ‘back’.

The thread was in The Rant House, so when I tried the back button it wouldn’t let me as a guest. Maybe I should have logged in first, but I think that would have lost me the message.