Ability to delete your own posts?

Is an ability to delet your posts a good idea?

1. yes
    1. no
  • 3)bacon sandwiches
    1. cheese and your mum
0 voters

Is this possible and I know the naysayers are going to say it ruins context, but if you quote people I don’t see how, at least if you can self delete you will save a lot of hassle when you are eventually calm or sober, or both?

Posts o ilp are like tattoos. If you make one, then you decide immediately that you don’t want it, you can scrub it and rub it and get most of the ink out in the first day or so, but after a week that shit’s there for life. Also, even if you scrub and rub and get it all gone asap, there’s still gonna be some possibility that it remains, in the form of a quote, or just burned into the mind of some reader who caught it before it was gone.

Yeah we know but if you only offer full functionality to people with x amount of posts this would not be an issue would it? They actually do that already I don’t see the issue just make sure you set it up so the number of posts remains the same etc, and their statistics are intact too. All it takes is a little bit of code nowse and a little bit of common sense. Also if someone deletes a post there is always the inevitable discussion about why even if you are quoted. This seems to me to be a simple solution to making angry rants at the wee hours of the morning when you are three sheets to the wind and not in command of your faculties or likewise at 8am when you haven’t had your first coffee. Still I’ll await to see what someone who is in the matrix thinks, I am sure they have more insight to the web site. I know it’s a pain in the ass to hard delete but no one is asking anyone to rid the server of posts permanently and they can always be recovered assuming too much time hasn’t passed. just do: add them to the “dustbin” only mods can access.

You’ve over thinking it.

Not at all it seems pretty obvious to me. If anything I am under thinking it. I am a Genius, I can think of more than one thing at once and shoot lazer beams from my ass. j/k

I’m no more a genius than Hitler was, although if he could shoot lazer beams from his ass we’d all be speaking German right now. Apologies I am in a silly mood. :stuck_out_tongue:,

EDIT: I accidentally edited the wrong post. :S

Are you taking any prescription medications?

Yes but it’s not relevant. I am just joking because I am in a good mood for a change although ambivalently. :slight_smile:

SSRIs for SAD, I am moderately insane off them and slightly insane on them. But I don’t think I count as psychotic. I just have a very unusual mind, medicated or not.

When I am drunk it tends to get crazy though. :stuck_out_tongue:

I am not drunk. Although it’s early let’s see how many people annoy me, I may turn to drinking to ease the pain.

Can we keep on topic I’ve had quite enough of the psychoanalysis on here, it’s uninformed, useless, and only serves to derail threads.

Yes, I would like to delete all your posts.

I actually quite like the idea of not being able to delete posts. Like Smears said, what you’ve published here is like a tattoo. It will have already been read by other people, or if not it was a genuine example of some part of your thought process at the time that becomes public history. I’m a fan of that consequence.

Why?

(Just for clarification, you’re in favour of other people not being able to delete their own posts)

I think it is good for everyone. I believe it promotes learning and growth and responsibility.

Now, I do like the editing function for grammatical mistakes and for clarifying myself, but not for changing the content of a post. And I would be in favor of someone being able to delete a personal photo or piece of information they did not mean to reveal or which could damage their privacy. But for anything else relating to a poster’s interaction on the forum, I am in favor of a no delete policy.

What does someone learn if they want to delete a post but you won’t let them? I can see growth—at least in terms of the drivel that piles up and never gets deleted. As for responsibility, trying to enforce it that way has never worked—look at the actual site, as it is, today. Acting as if you own someone’s posts, (which is the problem), doesn’t change the fact that they made them anonymously…

Forethought?

Troll much do you? :laughing:

Thank you serious posts at last, let the trolls fall where they may. No offence to Smears. :stuck_out_tongue:

I care what smears says, but at the same time he hasn’t really made a cogent argument against my contentions.

I’m a big fan of Rachel Weisz if I tattooed her face across my chest though and regretted I wouldn’t want to think that there is no means to get rid of it. I am not saying the deletion of posts should be up to 1 user, it should be up to the mods, the posts can always be brought back from the dead from user deletes. The dead even if the mods delete them, presuming they don’t hard delete them of course are retrievable.

If you knew you couldn’t just delete a post because you thought better of something you said or because you wanted to clean up some of your “flooding,” don’t you think you would consider each post a bit more and be more deliberate in what you say? You might decide to contain all the Mitchell and Webb skits to one thread next time to help out with forum organization (a suggestion?) and ease of use.

Grammer is for chumps. :wink:

As long as no one goes to great expense to point out spelling or grammar errors the edit function should remain just to edit your thoughts, not the thought polices thoughts.

Dude you should get a website and make it that way that would be cool to try.

There are thousands already that allow you to do that, it would be reiterating them at best. Let me let you into a little secret the forums are not that shit. :wink:

You don’t want it guys which is fair enough but I have yet to see a good reason why?

Grammar as in sentence structure plays a key role in expressing any complex idea. I never point out misspellings, who/whom usage, split infinitves, etc. I’ll conclude a statement with a preposition any old time I feel like it. That stuff doesn’t matter to me.